Youtube

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by John McE, Mar 12, 2011.

1. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003

Advertisements

Although the Youtube app is one of the best new things about TIVO, it appears that there are a lot of videos that turn up when you search online don't appear in a search on the TIVO. To give one example, searching for "Dusty Springfield" turns up only a fraction of her perfomances that I can access via my computer. Anyone understand why I can't find these via my TV?

2. Technix

Technix New Member

Feb 3, 2011
    I find this highly annoying too, it's the same when I use Youtube on my mobile and PS3 when searching for anything.

There's also the problem now of 'My Favorites' and 'My Playlists' not loading up on TiVo, not good.

3. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Sorry, do you mean you don't get the full spectrum of videos on those devices too? In that case maybe just a subset is generally available to other devices perhaps.

4. Technix

Technix New Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Yes that's right. Searching on Youtube on anything other than a PC returns a limited amount of results. I don't know how and why this limitation exists.

5. passingbat

passingbat New Member

Feb 4, 2011

Advertisements

I read somewhere on another forum, that the content author can decide how the youube video can be viewed outside of the web site via PC. They can decide not to allow TV/blueray/mobile phone connected devices. I find the same thing on my Sony S370 BR player.

6. Mimizuku no Lew

Mimizuku no Lew Rattus Sapiens

Jan 3, 2011
  7. Zaichik

Zaichik New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Hell on Earth
    I find that the search on TiVo doesn't bring up videos I can find using my smartphone - even if I enter the exact name. One video I had to find by searching for another video by the same uploader and then select more by user.

And although "My favourites" seems to populated properly, I can't get my subscriptions to appear, even if I subscribe on TiVo.

8. dogsbody

dogsbody Happy Happy Joy Joy

May 2, 2005
    AFAIK It's dependant on when the originator uploaded the video. Over the years YouTube has made more formats available however they don't go back and re-encode old videos into these new formats.

There can also be a delay with very new videos when the alternate formats haven't been done yet.

9. The Wishlist

The Wishlist VM TiVo Blog

Dec 7, 2010
    It happens with recent videos too, some movie trailers can't be viewed on my Samsung C650 TV's YouTube app or by my WDTV Live YouTube player because 'the content owner doesn't want this video displayed on TV-connected devices', or something like that.