YouTube Stuttering

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tkin1t3asy, May 23, 2015.

1. tkin1t3asy

tkin1t3asy New Member

Oct 4, 2014

Advertisements

For the last few months (probably since last update) I have been experiencing incredibly annoying stuttering while playing videos in the YouTube application on my Premiere XL4.

This is not a matter of network buffering as the navigation bar shows plenty of buffer space and it occurs even at the end of a video after the buffer has filled completely.

I noticed a single thread on the Tivo support forums. Has anyone else been seeing similar problems? I do not have any issues when using my Mini and I have not tried it on my S3.

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Same here. The same youtube video will play flawlessly on my amazon fire tv stick and would even play on my Tivo HD before youtube was removed.

3. porges

porges Member

Feb 28, 2001
    I don't know if everyone has the problem, but I do as well. Most videos that are 20 minutes long or more eventually just lock up. The ones that don't either lose sound at some point (they can be resynced) or dump out of the video maybe a minute or less before the actual end. It's unusable.

4. grit

grit New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Add me into the mix, exactly the same as the o/p.

My Tivo is connected via hardwired CAT6 to a Netgear Nighthawk router, and then wired to a Cox cable modem. I get more than enough bandwidth to stream HD movies with other systems, but YouTube via Tivo skips... lasts about .1-.25 sec and happens every 10-20 seconds. VERY annoying, and it started AFTER the last update (thanks a ton Tivo).

I've been considering a Roamio, but I'm so sick of Tivo CAUSING problems with updates. I lived for about 6 months with the display blanking out when Tivo had to switch between 720 and 1080 programs. There was some workaround... go to the menu and select something, then you could see again. But the problem came WITH a Tivo update, and Tivo LEFT IT THERE until the next update, rather than distributing a hotfix. So for half a year, I was stuck with that problem.

5. a_gizmo

a_gizmo New Member

May 8, 2014
    Louisville KY

Advertisements

Same issue. I contacted TiVo through email support and went through basic troubleshooting steps like restarting the box going through the guided setup again. When everything failed the support person said to call into TiVo's phone support.

I gave up at that point and rolled my own system for watching YouTube videos though an HME application.

6. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    I use an Amazon Fire TV for Youtube and all OTT apps. I'm not wasting my time trying the Tivo Youtube app anymore.

7. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    using the chromecast, instead

8. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    the new youtube app is a bit better, but still unwatchable due to stuttering

9. a_gizmo

a_gizmo New Member

May 8, 2014
    Louisville KY
    If anybody is interested and already running a HME server at home, I'm using a project from github called "youtube-podcast-gateway" to create RSS feeds of youtube channels. The RSS feeds use youtube-dl to generate mp4 compatible videos, which can be used with any regular podcatching app. I take those RSS feeds and pass them to HME/VLC so I can play the videos back with buttery smoothness. VLC isn't even required since the streamed file is already TiVo compatible.

The only issue I've run into is a limitation of YouTube v3 API. There is no direct call to get your "My Subscriptions" list like there was in the v2 api so you have to visit the feed of each individual channel/user. At least there is a watch later feed.

10. paully65

paully65 Member

Feb 20, 2002
    DC
    XL4 stuttering since the update.

11. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Ditto.

12. speakermagnet

speakermagnet New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Same problem here. Stutters regardless if YouTube video queued up from TiVo's YouTube app or if the video is queued up from chromecasting from YouTube's iOS mobile app.

VERY frustrating especially since it used to work flawlessly.

TiVO Premiere XL4 running 20.4.7a-01-2-758 with a WDC external storage box.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  13. dsnotgood

dsnotgood Member

Aug 25, 2010
    App takes too long to load, stuttering, slow overall, constant crashes and freezes....just use a chrome cast or Apple TV and call it a day. TiVo is only good for TV recording, apps suck.

hrbeta1956 likes this.
  14. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Premiere XL4 is also doing this, I just noticed, as the XL4 is mainly just a back-up.

15. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Youtube was working fine on my premiere when I first got it a couple releases ago. It also worked fine on my S3's, until it was removed. I'm not wasting anymore time trying to use OTT apps on Tivo. My Amazon Fire TV works great.

16. ajergo

ajergo A.J.

Feb 19, 2002
    Webster, NY...
    I have had this problem off and on for several months. Is really bad this month after a June 9th TiVo Software upgrade. Have latest SW version of TiVo now. Have an Ethernet connection for my TiVo Premiere where I am having this problem.

Just called TiVo customer support and they opened a problem ticket for me, but its not something they have listed as a general problem. So, not sure TiVo will really address the issue. Kind of makes YouTube just about unusable now on Tivo.

Like others I can play the same exact YouTube video on another device in my house and it plays fine.

17. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Another observation is that I can watch the free game of the day on MLB TV without stuttering on the same Tivo.

18. dconner

dconner Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Northern...
    I have the same problem - is there any sign of TiVo addressing the problem, or thinking about addressing the problem?

19. eafenyes

eafenyes New Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Youtube stutters and Hulu Plus crashes. Both work fine on Roku stick. Anybody have a solution to this?

20. compostsean

compostsean New Member

Aug 9, 2015
    Same on my our premiere XL4, even with a wired and wildly wide-band/low-latency internet connection. No amount of power-cycles seem to fix.
    Was shocked that the same result is obtainable --even when resorting to SD 480p/480i and SD menus (yes -- you can apparently "cast" /flick to a the you tube app even if its not accessible through SD menus... )

Happy to try any ideas or work-around people have.

Thanks