1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youtube on Tivo is Unwatchable...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Bighouse, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    The Youtube app on my Tivo is unwatchable. It sputters, it stops, it pauses, it plays, it stutters, it is HORRIBLE. My apple tv plays Youtube flawlessly, through the same wired network.

So, why? Is there a fix or remedy to make it work as it should?

2. paully65

paully65 Member

Feb 20, 2002
    DC
    I have an XL4 and just got the update and my Youtube does the same thing as yours. In fact, all the free apps stutter and stop EXCEPT for Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, all the pay apps. I assume they have more robust servers and technology for streaming than the free apps, but it seems like they should work just as well.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    It's not a bandwidth issue. My router has a 'bandwidth monitor' and YouTube doesn't even use that much data.

It 'feels' to me like the TiVo CPU is 'maxed out'.

I'm not expecting a fix any time soon.

Luckily, since YouTube is not integrated (very much) in to the Guide, I usually just figure out a way to save the Video either in a Subscription or as a 'Watch Later' video and then watch it on my Roku. It IS a disruption, though...

-KP

4. bfrederi

bfrederi New Member

Sep 17, 2017
    This has been an on-going problem with my Premiere 4, which is hardwired directly to my VZ FIOS router via Cat5. Plays for 10 seconds, glitches for .5 - 2 seconds. Lather, rinse, repeat. Netflix and Amazon load slowly, but they don't stutter. I just altogether stopped using YouTube via Tivo, but last night family was over and they wanted to show us something on YouTube and the performance drove them bananas to the point where they have ordered a Chromecast dongle for us and offered to take the Tivo box out back and burn it.

Googling the problem returns dozens -- if not hundreds -- of similar complaints over the past several years, with no apparent resolution. Extremely frustrating and disappointing.

5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    I've resorted to adding videos to the 'Watch Later' playlist and then using either the Roku or the Raspberry PI running Kodi...'cause the Premiere sucks bad!

-KP

6. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Youtube is bad now on my dual tuner premiere. Amazon Prime and Tivo to Tivo streaming works fine.

7. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I stopped trying to use YouTube on my TiVo after I got a Nexus Player. I never have any problems with it and it is wireless versus the wired connection on my TiVo. I just in the last week got a Roku stick and it works flawlessly on that as well. TiVo is using a way out of date app (at least it was last time I looked at it - I don't know if it is using the newer web wrapper app) and I don't know who is responsible for maintaining it, Google or TiVo. Either way, I agree using the YouTube app on a Premiere is an exercise in futility.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  8. porges

porges Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Just to agree: the Premiere Youtube app has been unusable for years.

9. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Youtube had been working for me for at least a year. When I first started using the Premiere in 2014 youtube was working fine, but then a software update made it unwatchable in 2015. I contacted support on Tivo's support forum and after several months they pushed a software update to fix youtube. They even left me a voicemail apologizing for the inconvenience and saying it was fixed. The new issue now is similar to what it was the first time if I remember correctly. I wonder if they inadvertently pushed the old version of youtube to the Premiere with the latest update.

10. AMike

AMike Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Metro Atlanta
    I'm using a Bolt and it is shaky at best when accessing YouTube. It will work for a few minutes, and then get a "Loading Video" message.

My down speed is 300 +, so that should not be an issue.

shwru980r likes this.
  11. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern...
    Same here... except it's usually around the 20 minute mark. This has never been an issue on my crappy little Nexus Player or even a Chromecast (both of which are on wifi).

Yet the hardwired Bolt can't keep up. Pathetic!

shwru980r and kpeters59 like this.
  12. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Same here. I press pause to see the point in time, then hit back to exit. Then hit select and fast forward to the previous point in time, then hit play.