YouTube App problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by CodeButcher, Sep 23, 2019.

1. CodeButcher

CodeButcher Member

Sep 14, 2018

Advertisements

About a week ago I was using the YouTube App on my Roamio VOX. After a few direction presses, it would jump more than one position. For example, if I press down button once it would jump down two or four places. I've tried other remotes and the same problem happens. So I ruled out it's not the remote. Also the yellow circle on the unit would light up even if I'm not pressing the button, but only after I pressed a direction once meaning it's receiving a signal after the fact. This only happens in the YouTube app, NetFlix and Amazon are fine. It's a bit annoying to scroll down or up for that matter.

I reported it to Tivo Support, and they recommended I delete the app and reinstall, but the problem is I can unselect the app, it's not listed.

ikobi and denniswebb like this.
  2. denniswebb

denniswebb New Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Same thing is happening for me. I thought it was the remote, so ordered a new one (wanted the VOX one anyway), and still happening. Super annoying.

3. CodeButcher

CodeButcher Member

Sep 14, 2018
    Sort of glad I'm not the only one with this problem, I hope they resolve it soon. I have an open case ticket, and waiting to hear back from them.

Did your unit start acting up about a week ago?

4. denniswebb

denniswebb New Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Seems like it was a couple of weeks ago, but yeah just started recently. It basically makes using the tivo remote useless when using the youtube app (I loose my mind when it just starts scrolling out of control), my work around has been to use the tivo application (remote control function) on my android phone, which seems really odd that it does not do it when I use my phone as a remote.

5. CodeButcher

CodeButcher Member

Sep 14, 2018

Advertisements

I have not tried the phone app, maybe I'll give it a shot. My Sony TV has a YouTube app as well, I guess I'll be using that for a while.

6. ikobi

ikobi Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Washington,...
    I'm seeing the same. Tried a different Tivo remote and had the same issue.

7. CodeButcher

CodeButcher Member

Sep 14, 2018
    I just got an email from Tivo Support. They told me to try a Repeated Guided Setup
    My Tivo is currently recording, so I'll try it tomorrow when it's not recording and update.

8. CodeButcher

CodeButcher Member

Sep 14, 2018
    Tried the Repeated Guided Setup, still skips in YouTube. I did unpair the remotes and tried IR only mode and I think it works. Can anyone else try using IR only mode and confirm?

9. denniswebb

denniswebb New Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Thanks for the info, I will try both of these tonight.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I assume you're on TE4. I've got a Roamio OTA on TE3 and I'm not experiencing the navigation issues you describe on Youtube. I'm not sure how unselecting and selecting the Youtube App or rerunning guided setup would reinstall the Youtube App. I think there is a kickstart code that forces the entire software to be reinstalled on the Tivo.

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Use Rokus.

12. CodeButcher

CodeButcher Member

Sep 14, 2018
    I can confirm it's an RF issue. No problems in IR only mode but that's just temporary fix. I should be able to use RF mode all the time. Right now I have an unpaired remote that I use for YouTube surfing.

13. CodeButcher

CodeButcher Member

Sep 14, 2018
    I don't know what TE4 is, but I'm using a Series5 with software version 21.9.2.v4-846-6-846. I assume the v4 is TE4.
    AFAIK, it's not possible to unselect the YouTube App, at least in my version. I keep getting replies from different Tivo Tech Support.

14. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    TE4 is the new interface. The version number you specified is TE4. You can roll back a Roamio to TE3, the old interface, but you will lose all of your recordings. There are threads on this forum with instructions on how to rollback. The instructions you are receiving from Tivo support seem like nonsense to me.

15. ColdnFrosty

ColdnFrosty New Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Similar problem here. In the YouTube app, I hit the down arrow once to move to the next row and it "takes off" scrolling down until there is nothing else to scroll. Repeatable every time I use the app on the Roamio Pro.

16. nopedals

nopedals New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Having the same problem with my roamio OTA remote. Do not have the problem if I use a sony universal remote, so I figured it was the tivo remote, and ordered a vox remote, which has the same problem. I'll try switching the old remote to IR (I thought it already was). Most of my viewing is YouTube, so it is a real annoyance.

17. nopedals

nopedals New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Yes; it is an RF problem. Switched back to IR it works fine. That's not great, because my box is in a cabinet (and I don't think that the new vox remote works on IR). I hope they get this fixed. It is a software, not hardware, issue, so they have no excuses.

18. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    The "21" part is TE4 (TiVo Experience 4), AKA Hydra.

19. ikobi

ikobi Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Washington,...
    Switching to IR (Tivo + Red C button) fixed the issue as a work-around for me, too, but IR is definitely less useful than the RF.

20. Texas-NASA

Texas-NASA New Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Goodness, I thought I was the only one with this issue. I switched to IR, not as good as RF. Hope TiVo addresses the issue.