1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youtube app crashes Tivo devices entirely

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by kairee, Nov 30, 2018.

1. kairee

kairee New Member

May 10, 2002
    I'm at my wit's end and hope others might have seen this.

We have a couple of Minis and a Bolt all running Hydra. The A92 Mini would not be reliable at all in the Youtube app, being slow and stuttery. The A93 Mini was working reasonably well, unless a Youtube video was left running for several hours, which would end up locking up the Mini and requiring it to be powercycled. We worked around this issue. The Bolt always ran well.

A couple of days ago we received an A95 Mini (Vox model) intending to replace the A92 entirely. It worked at first, but after letting a video run for several hours (we use it for white noising during sleep), we woke up to the tivo rebooting itself. Initially this sounded great. 'Don't need to powercycle, it powercycles itself!'.

Until we found out that just merely launching youtube app now on the mini causes the mini to reboot itself. Don't even need to try running a video, it crashes immediately. I've opened a support ticket with tivo about it, but...

The problem seems to have migrated somehow to our Bolt as well. Now the bolt crashes and reboots when running the Youtube app. Just launching it.

Has anyone else seen this happen, or how to address it?

2. Daviator00

Daviator00 Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Don't hold your breath waiting for Tivo to help. My Bolt froze and rebooted while watching Hulu. When it came back the "What to Watch", "Search" and "Apps" menu no longer worked. Tivo eventually agreed to replace the box, now on our third. The newest box now sometimes shows a blank screen when accessing the Apps menu.

Tivo "Support" is the absolute worst. I dumped cable for an inferior product and even worse customer service.

3. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Get a Roku or Fire stick, forget the apps on Minis.

4. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Middlebury, VT
    Long shot here but I had a problem with YouTube TV (I know not exactly the same as the youtube app) playing on my laptop and crashing my Asus 27" monitor. MY solution was to change the refresh rate of the monitor. It's a 60hz monitor that apparently was overclock to 75. Setting it back to 60 did the trick. Could be something to look into if your TV allows you to change it.....