You're the Worst - Season Four *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jaj2276, Oct 15, 2017.

1. jaj2276

jaj2276 Member

Dec 25, 2007

Advertisements

Ok obviously not a lot of people still watching this (which makes me wonder how it's still on!). The last episode (S04E07) was really well done. The interaction between the four main characters has become a little silly but this episode focused just on Gretchen and took her out of the absurdity of her current situation.

2. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    We got a bit behind earlier this season but caught up last night. I think this season has gotten a LOT darker and isn't quite as funny (for me) as previous seasons. I'm not a big fan of "cringe comedy" and they're going much farther in that direction than before. This episode was definitely enlightening regarding Gretchen's character but man, she was pretty horrible. Like, irredeemably horrible.

3. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Most of the characters on the show have always been irredeemably horrible.
    The only "likeable" character is Edgar, but I think he's just so damaged that he needs people around him that in some ways are worse off than he is, even if unknowingly. Now that he's in a good space with work and his life seems to be on the uptick I'm worried another character will cause him to self sabotage in someway.

Regarding the last episode, Gretchen I think wants to move back home to get away from Jimmy and her horrible life in L.A. (and maybe even Lindsay), but she's so codependent on others that she needed this other person to accept her before she does it, so she was showing off how crazy she still is, like reliving glory days of youth, things that would impress her LA friends. It back fired. Heidi is happy with her current life, and doesn't need/want someone like Gretchen. Then to twist the knife during her rejection of Gretchen Heidi says she hasn't really thought of Gretchen at all, and wasn't even aware of Gretchen 'ghosting' her when Heidi was sick. This could either have Gretchen start reevaluating her life and maybe be a better person, or more likely she'll come home to do just more self inflicting damage to her life. I think in the end of this season she will likely end up back with Jimmy, but more out of spite and the fact she's burnt so many other relationships with people that going back to Jimmy will just keep her from being alone. Or she'll start smoking more crack :D

4. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    So apparently the writers of this show don't know that the plural of octopus is, and always has been, octopuses. (Except for idiots who think octopus is a Latin word, and British folks who might use octopodes if they're feeling frisky.)

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas

Advertisements

I think the writers knew that. The former teacher didn't know that, nor did Gretchen.

E7 - Not a Great Bet: Worst episode of the show (IMO).

I don't like Gretchen to begin with, so having an entire episode with just her is not going to be my cup of tea. The show, itself, however, continues to change from a funny show about rude people to a sad show with nary a laugh.

6. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yeah, this season I'm struggling with it a bit. I get that they are pretty much all horrible people but when is enough enough - or, let's just get back to making the horrible funny.

7. dwatt

dwatt Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2007
    I haven't watched any of this season yet. Is it worse than the second season when compared to the first? That transition that Spartanstew mentioned was really rough between those seasons.

8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Personally I'm really liking this season, they have had several bottle episodes that I have really enjoyed, and I like that so far we're constantly off balance as far as the dynamics between the characters.
    But then I never wanted it to be a comedy, I've always enjoyed it as a dramedy with some very dark undertones.

Granted the Lindsey Divorce Party episode was my least favorite, it pushed the mean undertones too far.

sharkster likes this.
  9. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    This season has really caused me to go from watching it as soon as it recorded to piling up. I found it humorous before, and while they were terrible people, they also all deserved one another. That's what made the show work. Now they are just spreading their terrible-ness around, and it's just nowhere near as good.

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    You struck a chord with me about the comedy aspect. Maybe I've been leaning to far in that direction and not considering the darker complexion of it and the drama. I shall take that with me when I watch the next episode. :) Thanks.

11. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This used to be an entertaining show to watch about unpleasant people. It's turning into an unpleasant show to watch, about people I really don't like.

It's not whether the characters are good or bad or mean or whatever, it was always entertaining. But the last few episodes are the opposite. They play mean people, being hostile to their friends. It's becoming painful to watch, and definitely not amusing.

They were always on the edge of cartoonish, but sharp writing kept them real. But as the writing slips, the cartoon becomes all to real.

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm concerned and Sepinwall is concerned, this is 2 weeks in a row of misfires where they got the balance wrong and things were just mean, I could probably have gone without knowing Becca and Lindsey's childhood, but certainly without seeing Vernon fapping to his MIL's home movies, and Edgar all of a sudden being a jerk was also out there; let's hope next week recovers because Gretchen going back home was an awesome episode.

13. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    This used to be must-watch; now I can't even watch it all in one sitting.

Still, you have little pockets of brilliance like "riding the yogurt pole" (I hope I got that right, memory isn't good); which took me a full 5 seconds to get and do a double-take...

14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Are you thinking of “drop some ropes on her face?”

15. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I'm still enjoying the show. As far as I know there is nothing else quite like it on TV. Maybe that's it's best selling point is that it's different.

16. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I also can't stand Lindsay which is a complement to Kether Donohue. My hunch is she is nothing like that in real life. (At least I hope she isn't.) :) But I think she is doing a fine acting job.

17. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Nah...that was just crass...

I watched it again just to see...it's at the start of the show when she tells Lindsay that she fell asleep talking to Jimmy. Lindsay asks "does that mean you're back riding that yogurt tube?"

18. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    While I don't expect any of the actors/actresses to be like their characters, I saw Janet Varney, the girl that plays Lindsays sister, on a TableTop episode. Reassuring to know for sure that she's not such a *****.

19. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Yes, I saw an episode of TableTop with Colin Ferugson, and he seemed quite like the character he plays in Eureka. Seemed to be a pretty funny guy.

20. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Final Season, Jan 9th:

dianebrat likes this.