You're The Worst - Season Five thread *spoilers* (final season)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jan 10, 2019.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

You're The Worst returned last night for the start of its final season. And it was... let's just say different.

I wasn't sure how I felt about it, especially as it kept going and going, but by the end, I liked it. Not seeing any regular characters for the first half of the episode was a bit odd, but I liked the way they brought it home. The picture on the wall as they were leaving, of the real Jake & Gemma, almost gave me a The Shining flashback. And one scene was clearly a call-out to Notting Hill.

I've enjoyed this show for most of its run. Its had ups & downs, but overall it's been entertaining. And always interesting!

Tony_T likes this.
  2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    To be fair, the characters were there, they were just played by different actors and the expression of unreliable narrators. Very unreliable narrators.

astrohip likes this.
  3. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I always liked "You're The Worst", and sorry that this is the final season.
    Wasn't sure where they were going until we saw Jimmy and Gretchen, but really enjoyed how the 'story' was told. (One of my favorite past episodes was where they also did something different with the "Edgar" episode)
    What was the movie where Jake went into 'cyberspace' to get the tape? (I'm thinking it was a movie with Michael Douglas — Found it, "Disclosure")
    Also like the "Fight Club" reference (when we learn that Ziggy has been a figment of Jake’s imagination).
    What other 90's movies were referenced?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  4. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I was ready to give up on this show as the characters became too crazy (in fact, I may have bailed halfway through last season, I don't recall). But this was a very good start to the season. So I'm back in!

dianebrat and astrohip like this.
  5. Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005

Advertisements

Hey, what is up with the TiVo Service (or Comcast, I suppose) thinking that tonight's episode is "Season 4, Episode 14"? It's also got completely jacked up data about the air times, so it recorded some BS that turned out to be the last part of 1996's Independence Day and the very beginning of Deadpool instead. Le sigh. Anyone know the story?

6. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Hmm, I haven't watched it yet...

Ok, DirecTV had no problems, it's recorded. I'm not in front of my TiVo, so can't dbl check for you.

Looks like it reruns this Saturday. Set a manual recording. Good luck!

7. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Just watched it. Really good episode. While the season premiere was... interesting, it was also different. E2 was pure, classic You're The Worst. The best of what makes them the worst.

There's a thread on the problem here...
    1/16/19 You're the Worst all screwed up for me

8. Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Thanks, I saw it and contributed to it as well.

9. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I thought I had missed most of the season when I saw a new episode 14 show up. Thanks for starting this thread!

astrohip likes this.
  10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    "I'll have what I'm having."

I laughed out loud at everything to do with Gretchen and her new toilet, especially all the water that fell out after she stood up.

11. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    S5E4 "What Money?"

Well, that was a surprise episode ending!

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I really liked that, it's what they do so well, hit you in the gut and then not tell you why, with this crew it could be a good or bad thing and we won't know probably until the last scene of the series.

13. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    S5E6 — "This Brief Fermata"

Well, this one wins the prize for # of F-bombs in a ½ hr show ;)

14. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Yeah, they've gone from none, to a "special one allowed per eps", to bombs away!

Great episode. Loved how Gretchen engineered the breakup. Also wasn't much Lindsay (Kether Donohue), who I used to love, but now kinda wears thin.

15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

Did a re-watch, counted 30 F*&%ks
    (didn't count the D*&%s, Pu&^%ys, or Sh*&%s)

16. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Are these last few posts talking about S05E06 "This Brief Fermata" or S05E07 "Zero Eggplants"? Because they seem to be referencing Zero Eggplants.

17. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    s5e6 (I haven't watched e7 yet)

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Ah, between your comments and astro's, I assumed both were about E7. Astro's were definitely about E7.

19. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    And mine were definitely about E6 ;)

20. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    They found their balance.

I've been wondering how You're The Worst would handle the wedding. This show has never gone for the sappy, certainly not for long, and happily ever after just didn't seem like their style. Yet a breakup would be cruel, to them and us. Well... they found yin and yang.

Together, forever, one day at a time, but not married. I like it.

This has been one of the more interesting series of the last few years. Defied expectations, unlikable characters, off-putting story lines. And Gretchen's descent into depression was, sadly, all too realistic. Very hard to watch at times. Yet thru it all, they kept us entertained. Edgar & Lindsay helped soften our lead's hard edges.

It was a good time for a finale, I felt like the show had reached a point where it needed to conclude. And they did it well.

sharkster, Tony_T and dianebrat like this.