Your Tivo History

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by larrs, Mar 31, 2011.

1. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW

Advertisements

Over the last couple of weeks I have contemplated leaving Tivo and cable for DirecTV or losing the Tivo and moving exclusively to a Media Center PC with CabaleCards plus extenders throughout my home. I finally decided to stay with Tivo and cable.This process got me thinkning about how many Tivos I have had through the years and how many people I "turned on" to Tivo.

I thought it might be fun to post how many/what kinds of Tivos we've had over the years.

My first Tivo was a standalone Philips unit in late 1999. In 2000 I moved to a DirecTivo when it was launched. According to Tivo, I have had the following additional Tivos on my account:

Sony Series 1
    Tivo Series 2 ST (2)
    Humax Series 2
    Humax S2 with DVD-R
    Pioneer S2 DVD-R
    Toshiba S2 w/DVD
    Tivo S2 DT (3)
    Tivo S3 (active)
    Tivo HD (4) (1 still active)
    Tivo Premiere (2) (still active)

Considering I left Tivo once for 3 months while trying a couple of ReplayTV boxes, and the Sci-Atl HD boxes I used before the S3 came out, it appears we have really been DVR-centric in my house.

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    My wife bought me/us our first Sony TiVo S1 for Father's Day in June 2000 (although I had to pay for the lifetime service :)). It definitely changed the way we watched TV and was a blessing given a new child and wildly different work schedules. No more VCR tapes with Post-Its on them in front of the TV!

We added a Philips S1 in May 2002 at a K-Mart closing sale to handle conflicts and also added lifetime service to it as well. This one was upgraded to 120GB hard drive soon after.

Both units worked great for us with no problems but we took advantage of the S3 lifetime upgrade deal in January 2007/February 2007 to get 2 S3 TiVos and start getting ready for HD. Both were upgraded to 1TB later that year and are still working great.

The Sony S1 was retired to the basement after close to 7 years with the original 30GB hard drive. The Philips S1 is up in my son's game room and still working in manual record mode on the upgraded 120GB drive (8 years on the hard drive).

I figure we'll stick with the S3 until the S5's come out and they have some kind of lifetime upgrade offer. :)

Scott

3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Philips DSR6000 DirecTV DVR With TiVo October 2000 with Lifetime (several DirecTV DVRs With TiVo over the years)
    Used Philips S1 with Nov. 99 Lifetime transferred last year to a TiVoHD
    HR10-250 (2)
    TiVoHD with Lifetime (2)

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    - 240 40 gig model (with infamous rebate) (later bought HMO on this one:mad: and then lifetime) serving up TV to In-laws in Switzerland via slingbox

- Toshivo SDH400 - paid 99$ for it - was in kids bonus room - now in main tv room as seldom used DVD player - our home movies are on it and it does manual recordings - free sub

- various 540 boxes under that special 50$ deal -- all retired and sold off

- S2 DT in main TV room with cable box attached to one tuner and analog recording on both. (6.95 a month)

- ToShiVo DVD burner model - was in main room for DVDs then moved to Kid's bonus room as DVR and DVD player (6.95 a month)

PC server now uses pYTiVo to serve up DVD movies to all TV/TiVo DVRs in the house - have not watched a physical DVD in a while - no more dirty skips deep into a movie.

TiVo HD in main room with OTA - records analog cable as well - burn in hell CCI byte. (6.95) 1 terrabyte drive

TiVo HD in master bedroom with LCD monitor.

TiVo Premiere in Office

5. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW

Advertisements

+1000% :up:

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well my signature says most of it but for more details:

1. 04/04 Got a Dish 510 I think I paid $125 & $5.95/mo Not a TiVo but my first DVR used it for many years, it is now retired.
    2. 09/05 Humax T-800 free after rebate, $299 lifetime service, upgraded to 300 GB HD Not used much but still working.
    3. 08/06 TiVo Series 2 TCD540080 Free after rebate, $6.95/mo, upgraded to 300 GB HD, retired 03/10.
    4. 2007 - bought new Series 2 off ebay for $70 for parts never subed or used for part still in box.
    5. 05/08 TiVo HD $500 with lifetime service included wireless G adapter. Used a 500 GB exteral drive until yesterday - upgrading to a 2TB internal drive tonght.
    6. 03/10 Refurbed Series 3 HD paid $178ish, $6.95/mo service has a 1 TB external drive attached.
    7. 11/10 Premiere Paid $95 and got lifetime for $199 (yes that is correct) great deal - upgraded to 2 TB drive last weak.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    My brother in law gave me a Series 2 ST for Christmas in 2005. I activated it with lifetime that day on the TiVo website.
    When the Series 3 came out I wanted to get one, but I balked at the high price. Also, TiVo discontinued lifetime subscriptions during that time and I wasn't going to get a Tivo unless I could put lifetime on it.
    On 12/26/2007 I activated a TivoHD after lifetime was re-instated. Three months later, I upgraded the hard drive to 1TB.
    A year and a half later, I got my second TivoHD w/ lifetime mainly to handle scheduling conflicts.
    All three are still currently in use.
    Most recently, I got Premiere from that woot deal a while back. I didn't really need another Tivo, but at that price ($70 ?) I decided to splurge. Plus, I wanted to try comer's upgrade software just to see if it would work on an unactivated unit (it does).
    I haven't activated it, yet. Maybe I will when TiVo makes it "complete".

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    March 2004, got a Philips series 1, and an 80 GB drive for it. It went flakey, so I got a Sony Series 1 in October . It died by December.

In early 2005, I got an 80hr 240 Series 2, which I upgraded to 160 GB.

In summer 2006, I bought a box of TiVo parts, which included a Product Lifetime one, and by 2007, got another TiVo to get it fully running. Fall 2007, I dropped my monthly sub.

9. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Started with TiVo in 2003, when I bought a used SVR-2000 on eBay. Added an HDVR2 later that year. Had some SAT-T60s and various S2 DTiVos along the way. Currently running three HR10-250 units (about to activate another) and one S2 DTiVo (SDDVR40 maybe?) Got my first realy HDTV recently and am jonesing for some HD programming that isn't coming in OTA. May be TiVo-less soon for the first time in eight years.

10. JAB

JAB TiVoist Emeritus

Apr 27, 1999
    I've owned TiVos almost since there were TiVos. I place my first order for a TiVo in June of 1999, directly with Richard Bullwinkle.

I've owned so many different models, I can't remember how many of which types. Standalone TiVos. Combo TiVos. Beta TiVos. I currently have a TiVo S3, TiVo HD XL, and a TiVo Premiere XL.

It's a great product. Sadly, I've lost touch with the company and most of the people.

11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Got my s1 Sony before I registered for this site after seeing my roommates.
    Under the bb extended warranty swapped the s1 with dead modem for the 80 hour s2. Then I bought another s2 from a friend who got one as a gift.

Tired of waiting for TiVo to release something with more than 1 tuner I switched to directv with multiple directivos.

Then sears put the TiVo hd on clearance so I snagged several of those and bought lifetime for 3 of them and switched to fios. Then I upgraded two of them to 1 tb drives. Then they announced the premiere so I sold two of my TiVo hd to family and bought two premiere xls.

12. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I like the attitude, a nice positive post about a great product.

13. archer75

archer75 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Gresham, OR
    I got the first Direct TV Tivo that was available. It is only standard def and I modded it with a larger hard drive. I still have the receiver.

Later I bought the Direct HD Tivo for a grand when it game out. Then Direct started switching to mpeg4 and that tivo was on it's way out so I switched to dish and have been with dish ever since. And as great as they have been and as great as the receiver is I still miss tivo.

Thinking of getting a premiere primarily for OTA but I like the option of being able to add FIOS to it.

Going to be hard to give up dish with it's 3 tuners.

14. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I have always been cheap, so didn't want to pay any monthly fee, so didn't get a Tivo till just the last couple of years when I learned that they had 'lifetime'.
    I bought a Toshiba DVD/DVR with free basic for my 'significant other' about 4 years ago, and it was the best money that I have ever spent. She loves the machine! So then I started buying Tivos for me. I currently have over 20 of them with 4 connected to over the air broadcasting. But the antenna TV is just so unreliable. One day it works great, the next day is is gone. And I live not 10 miles from the antennas on a mountain nearby. So she and I are both getting frustrated with antenna TV, and my pay for cable or Dish in the near future.
    I just got a TivoHD and it brings in the stations better than the converter boxes, but still not good enough.

I do have a couple of ReplayTv DVRs, but have never used them, mostly out of laziness. And because they don't support antenna TV. I am getting tired of the so loud commercials so may get them up and running as they all have automatic commercial skip.

I do truly love Tivo for ease of use and making my TV time more effective. I use to watch TV for hours surfing channels and never finding something that fit with my schedule. Now I watch whatever I want whenever. I can't believe all those years messing with VCRs. Piles of tapes never watched because of lack of convenience. Now sometimes I will watch a movie or football game over a period of 3 or 4 days, and enjoy them much more. I love to be able to review football plays when the sportscasters don't.

But I must not be a very good salesman of Tivo as none of my other family/friends have adopted Tivo even though I have offered to loan them boxes for free.

I have never paid for any service: always bought Tivos used that had lifetime on them already.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I went to DirecTV in 2001 strictly for HD content since Comcast was dragging their feet and did not offer any HD yet. I discovered the DirecTiVo by accident and In 2001/2002 I bought ten of the Phillips DirecTiVos(DSR6000 I think), selling seven of them and with the profits paid for my three and most of the cost to upgrade the hard drives. I used them for backups to my OTA HD recordings and to watch SD content.

I then replaced those with the next model Philips DirecTiVo when those were released but I longed for a TiVo that recorded in HD.

So around May 2004 DirecTV came out with the HD TiVo. I bought eight of them from BestBuy for $1K each and sold six of them for an average of $1450 each. With those proceeds I paid for the two I kept and most of the upgrade cost to put two 250 GB drives in each box.
    Later I got a great deal on an open Box HDTiVo and upgraded that box as well.

In late 2006 I purchased three of the S3 boxes and started my migration from DirecTV to Comcast since DirecTV wasn't going to continue with TiVo and HD. I kept DirecTv alongside Comcast until June 2007 and then dropped DirecTV and retired my HD TiVos which still sit gathering dust.

I then got five of the TiVoHD boxes over the next few months after they came out in Summer 2007 and in September 2007 began the migration from Comcast to FiOS finally dumping Comcast in 2008 after using both FiOS and Comcast concurrently for nine months.
    I kept those S3 and TiVoHD boxes until the Premieres came out in 2010.

So I initially purchased eight of the Premiere boxes with the discounts offered from my five existing TiVoHD boxes and three S3 boxes.

I then sold one S3 box and the rest of my TiVoHD boxes and gave two of my S3 boxes to my girlfriend, replacing the two Lifetime S2 boxes I had given her in 2008.

I then sold three of my Premiere boxes over the rest of 2010 leaving me with my current five Premiere boxes.
    I currenty have lifetime on four Premieres and $6.95 monthly service on one.

16. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Where did you find people who wanted to pay you more for a used set than they were selling for new?

17. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    • S2 (now retired) June 2004
    • S3 the day they were released Sept. 12, 2006 (mo by mo)
    • HD TiVo April 2009 (lifetimed)

18. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    When the DirecTV HD TiVo first came out it was quite hard to find in stock. So I'm not at all surprised that someone who was able to find several of them was able to resell them (ebay anyone :D) immediatly for above list price.

(Same thing happened with the Nintendo Wii for quite a long time as their production couldn't keep up with demand)

19. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    I managed to get 6 Playstation 2 consoles when they came out in 2000. I made enough off of selling them (Christmas) that I was able to buy a 50" HD-Ready Rear Projection TV. Good times. :cool:

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

eBay. Before the fees were so high like they are now.

In some areas of the country they were hard to find, but they were plentiful here. So demand was high and supply was low and I was lucky at the time to be able to capitalize on that. I've done that with several pieces of electronics over the years, but nothing recently.