Your house just burned down!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by 20TIL6, Jul 23, 2007.

1. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    And with it, you lost your TiVo(s) with lifetime service.:eek: What could you do?

Would TiVo allow you to get lifetime service on the replacement(s)?

If so, at what cost?

If not, should you attach a special insurance rider to the value of something you can no longer buy?

Before I transferred my lifetime services to my S3 units, I had been using the original units for 7 years. And they were still functional. That's a value of around $700 per unit at the going rate of 3yrs pre-paid.

2. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Hmm, if my house burned down - I think TV watching would be pretty low on my list of things to do!

3. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    If you have insurance for replacement value (and if you don't you should - look in your closet and estimate what it would cost to replace your clothes) and you can document the value of your TiVo with lifetime then you shouldn't need any special rider.

4. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    I agree. Getting a new Tivo would not exactly be high on my priority list, especially considering that two homes have burned in my neighborhood over the past three months and one woman is still in the hospital with burns over 30% of her body. I'm sure getting a new Tivo is the furthest thing on her mind. You tend to get a new perspective on things when you see it happen to people you know.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    well, assuming no physical injuries adn that another shelter is obtained and food and clothes are taken care of I would want to provide my family some entertaining diversions again.

I think a call to TiVo with the circumstances and documentation and they would help in replacing the boxes with lifetime in most cases. Length of time the lifetime has been around may be a factor.

6. 20TIL6

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    Maybe I should have used another type of event. I guess what I was trying to find out is since you can't buy lifetimes any longer, what could you do after such a loss. OK, not a fire, what about a theft? Nobody is home during the burglary. The thief takes nothing else, and he even takes off his shoes so as not to track dirt on your carpets.

7. ReenieS

ReenieS geek goddess

Sep 30, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    1. House on fire!
    2. Rip TIVO from wall and toss out window (lifetime is lifetime for TIVO- if it burns its dead)
    3. children
    4. spouse
    5. pets
    6. photos
    7. etc

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    You call TiVo like I said, there have been posted cases here of TiVo working with users or insuurance compqany to replace a lifetime TiVo. I think they were usually S2 models that a lifetime activated in the last 2 years or so. I saw one case for lightening damage even.

9. 20TIL6

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    cool, thanks.

10. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I don't think it would be unreasonable for TiVo to say - The Lifetime subscription is tied to the box, since the TiVo burned up in a fire the life of the box is over, No new lifetime TiVo in this case, sorry.

11. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    Something just tells me that if I threw my TiVo out the window before throwing my wife out the window, I'd soon have an ex-wife :). I believe that the TiVo(s) would be covered by my insurance policy. Alimony wouldn't be.

.../Ed

12. mikebridge

mikebridge Member

Sep 18, 2000
    Plainfield, IL
    iirc, lifetime does get transferred in the event you send your tivo in for repair, thus, dig out the scorched, melted, pitiful lump of metal that used to be your tivo, and send it in for repair =p

13. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    or just tell them about the housefire and be ready to fax them insurance docs if asked.

basically they would send out a refurb and transfer lifetime off the old box to the new one. So not having the old box in hand is not that big a deal. They may charge a "repair" fee of course to cover the refurb unit.

14. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    20TIL6,

Please tell us this is a hypothetical post!!!!!

15. 20TIL6

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    Oh yes, just wondering about it.

16. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Always throw wife out the window first so she can catch the Tivo. It could be damaged in the fall. :rolleyes:

17. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I'm sure it was, but today when I came home from a hard day at the golf course (27 holes) I realized that I had left my back sliding glass door wide open all day, with no one at home. When I saw it, the first thing I did was to look over to see if my Tivo was still there. Sad!

18. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I had a dream once where my TiVo was stolen. I woke up in a panic! Everything was fine, though.

My dream did not get as far as calling TiVo for help.

19. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Ruth,

You didn't tell us the whole story. You said everything was fine, but how did you know? Did you actually get out of bed and go downstairs to check? ;)

20. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Yes.

TiVo, a money-making business, will be happy to make it possible for someone to continue using their service without ever paying them another dime. :confused:

I suppose they might do it if there was a transfer fee of some kind, so they at least get SOMETHING (aside from "good will") in the deal.