Your Honor on Showtime *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Beryl, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas

Advertisements

This script is perfect for Cranston.

The dog took bloody evidence from the pile Dad dumped but the kid left that inhaler.

I needed another reason to hang on to that CBS/Showtime subscription on Apple TV+

2. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I watched episode 1. I will record the series to binge.

3. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    watched first two episodes, wow this show is excellent !

jasrub likes this.
  4. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Teaching point from E2 - don’t steal a car. That poor car thief is screwed.

5. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV

Advertisements

I have both episodes on deck and am glad to hear how good it is! Hoping to start watching in the next day or two. :)

6. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I kept waiting for him to say he was told pick it up for scrap and of course it will be moot I am guessing in the next episode when the DNA comes back.

7. swyman18

swyman18 Active Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Honoka'a, HI
    I may have missed something obvious ( or I’m just clueless), but how the heck is the kids confession going to stick considering nothing in the timeline matches up? I believe Michael reported the car “stolen” the day after the accident, and there were neighbors that can attest to the car being in the driveway the night and the following day after the accident.

8. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    The judge called the detective the day of the accident when he was turning his kid in. The detective got back to the judge the next day and he told her that he was calling to report the car stolen so now he has the car stolen on the day of the accident. All the other evidence doesn't matter because the police are not going to investigate, they have a confession. But I'm sure the lawyer the judge got for the kid will start to investigate and find things don't add up.

9. swyman18

swyman18 Active Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Honoka'a, HI
    Thanks, makes sense, I wasn’t quite sure of the exact timing of when he was saying the car was stolen.

10. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Brian Cranston was on the Daily Show the other day talking about this show. Apparently it's only a mini-series and not a full series. Just watched the 2nd episode yesterday and it's been good so far. I wouldn't have known about the show if it wasn't for Brian's interview on TDS. Then again, I would have found out about it here and probably checked it out anyway. :D

11. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I finally viewed E01 & E02 this morning. Yeah, there are definitely some holes there not to mention the bloody rag the dog dragged in. But I don't think anybody w/b looking in their house any time soon.

The only thing that nagged on me was that the judge, even though he did a decent job of re-tooling the time frame, always looks so guilty. His demeanor doesn't match his apparent ability to change the story to keep his son from being caught. It was also odd to me how that neighbor across the street always seemed to be watching him.

I got a little confused as to who all was involved with the kid who was pegged to steal the car and look guilty.

It's interesting enough, probably mostly due to Cranston, that I will definitely keep watching. Just glad to be caught up before E03 falls into My Shows.

12. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Watched episode one and liked it.

Watched episode two and thought it was starting to have some questionable actions by the characters.

Watched episode three and it was starting to get silly in terms of the plot holes and how these characters would/should never do what they do.

Watched episode four and it’s down right ridiculous now.
    I’m out.

Just a few (spoiler) things off the top of my head that were ridiculous after watching Episode 4:

• Police have a crime scene that’s been taped off and clearly examined, and yet the police miss an inhaler on the ground? Unlikely.
    • The rich attorney does the judge a favor and represents Kofi Jones pro bono all in exchange for a date and past history. (Think about this for a second, she’s going up against the mob. The mob would have threatened her life and even if successful in getting the case dropped she’d have a target in her back by the mob in New Orleans forever. No way she ever takes that case.)
    • The mob thinks the killing if their son was a deliberate statement by the Desire gang. So at the funeral for their son, the entire mob family is there. That cemetery would be swarming with mob security thinking the Desire gang might strike again. But no, the judge is able to just jog to the burial site unseen and see everything. Riiiiiight.
    • The judge’s son is beyond stupid.
    • The judge goes through an elaborate scheme to get access to the video at the gas station. Far fetched, but even if possible, the son didn’t pay in cash. He never went in the store. There’s still a debit card transaction at the pump. And better yet, after deleting the footage, there’s still new footage that day of the judge going into the gas station to delete the previous footage, along with the owner seeing his face and knowing him.
    • High priced attorney gives the judge an out to breakup, and he doesn’t take it. Having her around is ridiculously stupid.
    • Huge cliffhanger after episode three where Kofi Jones goes into the cell of the jailed mob son. Could make for a powerful scene. Maybe there’s a discussion, maybe there’s a plea for his life since he didn’t do it. What happens? First shot of episode four is he’s dead. That’s it. WTF?
    • The mother in law. Jeez. Maybe someone took the card and flowers you left at the grave by the end of the day. Who knows? That should be your story that you stick to forever. Dumb.
    • Dinner scene and the participants. Writers needed to find any excuse to have the detective there the very second the bloody rag from the dog is uncovered. “Is that blood?” LOL Right. And then nothing.
    • Police destroy the car evidence literally hours after Kofi Jones is killed? Never would happen that way.
    • Mob wants to send a BIG message to the Desire gang, so what do they do? Kill the gang leader? Kill someone prominent in the gang? Nope they blow up Kofi Jones’s house who actually had no one affiliated with the gang any more (unless you count that kid with the baseball who didn’t even die.)
    • There are others but this entire series became absurd to me.
    This series had potential, but I’m out big time.

...and if the previous ridiculousness is any measure, I would not even doubt that the judge’s son and the mob boss’s daughter are going to start dating or becoming close.

13. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I agree with most of what you said but the biggest glaring whole I kept thinking about was the DNA. I thought I remember them saying it would be back in a day or two and clearly it would show it was not Kofi Jones. At this point I figured papa mob guy would realize that Kofi Jones was a setup. Clearly its been longer than 48 hours. I also agree the son is a wimp. I would have told him to either shut up or confess!

inaka likes this.
  14. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

Beryl likes this.
  15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I didn’t see it as a cliffhanger, as i expected he was sent in to be killed.

16. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    I’m not sure how anyone could describe that scene ending Episode 3 as anything other than a cliffhanger, even if you guessed that he would ultimately be killed.

Cliffhanger is an ending to an episode of a serial drama that leaves the audience in suspense. That’s what this was.

17. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    It wasn’t a guess. They tried to kill him in the infirmary, and then the gang that was protecting him told him that they were no longer able to. Not a cliff hanger if the outcome is inevitable.

18. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    The mob boss heard the 911 call of someone who could barely breathe. He knows an inhaler is found, so the 911 caller has asthma. Kofi Jones shows no signs of having asthma. Can't he put two and two together?

19. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    IIIRC, when the kid called 911 he didn’t say he was the one who hit the other kid. I don’t think he said anything. So, if someone confesses, why would the mob boss not believe him?

20. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Just because you guessed right, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a guess. And it most definitely was a cliffhanger.

If he was out of options and knew he was going to die, he could have hanged himself in his cell rather than being beaten to death. Most people would opt for that. That was the entire reason he went to the mob bosses cell to strike a deal or attempt to talk his way out of it. Just because it didn’t work doesn’t mean it was impossible.

There’s a definite possibility that he could have spoken with the son of the mob boss and spilled the beans that he was just a patsy and told them everything he knew about the gang and any possible ties with the police and/or the guy running for mayor, and exactly how he was told to steal the car etc. maybe he’d be spared for that info. Never know. That was the point of the cliffhanger.

Or maybe, Kofi is a better fighter than the mob bosses son and he walked in there with a shank and killed him. Who knows. Many possible outcomes.