Young Sheldon -- "A Swedish Science Thing and the Equation for Toast" -- S2E22 -- OAD 5-16-19

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Mikeguy, May 17, 2019 at 1:43 AM.

1. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Wallace Shawn deserves an Emmy award for guest appearance in a dramedy for this one, closely followed by a regular supporting cast award to Annie Potts. Both just affecting and heart-wrenching, and as good as any Oscar award-winning film performance.

And the rest of the cast, superb as always.

Finally, the final scene and minutes: for me, the best part of The Big Bang Theory series finale, closely followed by the speech at the end of TBBT.

My appreciation and thanks--

bobcarn, Hot4Bo, markz and 2 others like this.
  2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Agree. I really felt sad and scared when he was on the roof. I love the character and how well he's played. Just a superb episode, and great tie in to TBBT series finale.

BTW, I thought Young Bernatdette looked closest to older Bernadette.

3. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I thought young Howard was pretty spot on.

4. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I just noticed that young Leonard in the ending montage is wearing his same TBBT grown Leonard bathrobe. Good one!

So sweet, that grown Sheldon, in the voiceover at the end, is thankful for the fact that he is a bonded quark as vs. a solitary neutrino, with the backdrop of young Sheldon's listening to the radio broadcast of the award of the Nobel Prize to the discoverers of the quark (when young Sheldon had wanted the neutrino discoverer to win) and with the song "Some Day, We Will Be Together" playing in the background. Oops, I have some dust in my eye, again.

Perfection. :clapping:

DancnDude and Hot4Bo like this.
  5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    What an episode. Truly scared for John and what it means for his future since Sheldon never mentioned him in BBT even after the character was added on Young Sheldon. Did he go away last night?

But the ending was pure perfection. And sold that Sheldon’s speech at the awards really took hold with him. Nice.

Mikeguy likes this.
  6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    This is one of the things I find so affecting in YS (and moreso than in TBBT, which is more solidly situation comedy, heaven bless it): it has these dramedy moments that just are gut-wrenching. Earlier in this season, it also had it with the show centering on Mary's religious convictions and questioning, also well-done. And Iain Armitage handles them so well, in his micro-moments of reflection.

For a show like this, and any comedy-based show, to approach the concept of a mental spiral--wow.

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Great point about Ian Armitage. That kid is very talented.

8. bobcarn

bobcarn Birthday Hug Monkey TCF Club

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    I fell in love with YS from the very first episode, and the last episode just reinforced it all for me. The writing is superb, the timing is perfect, and every single character and actor is wonderful.

ThePennyDropped and Hot4Bo like this.