Young Sheldon -- "A Swedish Science Thing and the Equation for Toast" -- S2E22 -- OAD 5-16-19

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Mikeguy, May 17, 2019.

1. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Wallace Shawn deserves an Emmy award for guest appearance in a dramedy for this one, closely followed by a regular supporting cast award to Annie Potts. Both just affecting and heart-wrenching, and as good as any Oscar award-winning film performance.

And the rest of the cast, superb as always.

Finally, the final scene and minutes: for me, the best part of The Big Bang Theory series finale, closely followed by the speech at the end of TBBT.

My appreciation and thanks--

bobcarn, Hot4Bo, markz and 2 others like this.
  2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Agree. I really felt sad and scared when he was on the roof. I love the character and how well he's played. Just a superb episode, and great tie in to TBBT series finale.

BTW, I thought Young Bernatdette looked closest to older Bernadette.

3. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I thought young Howard was pretty spot on.

4. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I just noticed that young Leonard in the ending montage is wearing his same TBBT grown Leonard bathrobe. Good one!

So sweet, that grown Sheldon, in the voiceover at the end, is thankful for the fact that he is a bonded quark as vs. a solitary neutrino, with the backdrop of young Sheldon's listening to the radio broadcast of the award of the Nobel Prize to the discoverers of the quark (when young Sheldon had wanted the neutrino discoverer to win) and with the song "Some Day, We Will Be Together" playing in the background. Oops, I have some dust in my eye, again.

Perfection. :clapping:

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    What an episode. Truly scared for John and what it means for his future since Sheldon never mentioned him in BBT even after the character was added on Young Sheldon. Did he go away last night?

But the ending was pure perfection. And sold that Sheldon’s speech at the awards really took hold with him. Nice.

Mikeguy likes this.
  6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    This is one of the things I find so affecting in YS (and moreso than in TBBT, which is more solidly situation comedy, heaven bless it): it has these dramedy moments that just are gut-wrenching. Earlier in this season, it also had it with the show centering on Mary's religious convictions and questioning, also well-done. And Iain Armitage handles them so well, in his micro-moments of reflection.

For a show like this, and any comedy-based show, to approach the concept of a mental spiral--wow.

7. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Great point about Ian Armitage. That kid is very talented.

8. bobcarn

bobcarn Birthday Hug Monkey TCF Club

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    I fell in love with YS from the very first episode, and the last episode just reinforced it all for me. The writing is superb, the timing is perfect, and every single character and actor is wonderful.

9. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Quoting the above posts from the BBT thread for context, and paging @Hank.

In any case, I didn't get Alzheimer's from this episode at all. What I got from it was more of a stress or trauma induced mental breakdown, similar to Prof. Rothman on Big Bang Theory. (In that instance, it was presented more as a comic plot element, rather than the dramatic depiction here.) It seemed to be that he was becoming (or was already) bipolar.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  10. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I guess we'll see next season. What stress or trauma was Sturgis or Rothman under? It wasn't clear in that episode either. Rothman just appeared nutty, but the behaviors of Sturgis, to me, strongly suggest Alzheimer's.

11. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    "Some very talented people were not recognized with a Nobel"
    Yes, iike Stephen Hawking (because no one has yet proven his ideas)

12. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I was thinking more along the lines of him having discovered something in his past but he didn't get the credit he deserved and never won the prize.

kettledrum likes this.
  13. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    That was pretty much my take... it was a nervous breakdown triggered by the realization that he would in almost all certainty never win the Nobel.

14. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    What? It's not like he was a researcher or theoretical physicist doing groundbreaking work.... he was a science professor at a college. IIRC, he just really wanted the discovery of quarks to win the Nobel, but it didn't. I don't think that's the trauma needed to push someone into a nervous breakdown, unless he was already mentally compromised by something like Alzheimer's. His odd behavior started prior to that anyway, like pulling weeds in the front yard at night.

15. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    But that's not really alzheimer's behavior, that's manic behavior.

16. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    It's totally Alzheimer's behavior. It could be something else, sure, but it is consistent with Alzheimer's.

17. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    I'm thinking the Dr. Sturgis character has been written out of the show. I'm guessing the only thing we'll hear about him next season is a brief mention by Meemaw.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  18. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It isn’t possible that he is a professor now but was a researcher earlier in his life? It was said he had prior breakdowns. Teaching may have been his therapy. The trauma was personal, not a generic rooting interest. He was Sheldon who failed to win. Parallel to the Sheldon who did. Kind of obvious, actually.

19. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Except his breakdown started before the Nobel Prize plot started. Also the Sheldon that did win is in a different show.

20. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Okay. Anticipation of the awards coming up wouldn’t trigger anxiety? Nah. In fact, it would mean more that it wasn’t about who won or not.

And, no, it is the same Sheldon. Just like we saw all the kid versions of the people on BBT.