Young Rock (NBC sitcom) Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Feb 16, 2021.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Not bad. I went in thinking I would watch it out of obligatory "I'll watch any new sitcom once", but it kinda grew on me. Wife liked it too.

It's a weird tale of Dwayne "Rock" Johnson's life. I don't know how much is true or not. He is played by different actors portraying him at age 10, 15, 20. And himself, set in 2032, when he's running for President. The actors have some fun personas, and the writing is catchy.

Stick with it for thirty minutes and see if it grows on you.

NBC, Tuesdays at 8E/7C.

Young Rock - Wikipedia

2. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Why do they call him Dewey?

3. Crow159

Crow159 Pandemic Special

Jul 28, 2004
    Abingdon, MD
    Completely agree with your assessment. It was interesting and I want to see more stories from all three timelines.

I think the 10 year old timeline will be pretty cool to see the behind the scenes wrestling stuff. When I was little, I watched wrestling and I remembered every one of those wrestlers. It's a bit nostalgic for me.

I'm also really interested in the University of Miami times too. He played alongside some really good players.

4. lambertman

lambertman With an "L"

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    It's an odd ego project, but it's an interesting odd ego project. I feel that the 15-y/o storyline is the weakest and might run out of compelling content most quickly; it might help the show to drop it and focus more time to 10- and 20-y/o DJ.

5. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

Advertisements

Forgot to set a 1Pass for this one.
    (e1 is being rerun tomorrow after Mr Mayor)

6. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    It was his nickname when he was a kid. In an interview he says his mom still calls him that today and he hates it.

DVR_Dave likes this.
  7. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    That's how I felt. While I like The Rock, I'm no fanboy. And I went into this thinking "Why?". But it really held my interest, and I gotta admit, he really does have an engaging personality. The various age segments are a cool way to present it.

The almost meta segments with Randall Park were weird, but I found myself liking them. They keep them short, which is part of their appeal.

8. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Maybe I need to give it more of a chance. It left me totally cold. I didn’t find any of the characters appealing, especially the college age Rock plus it felt to me like the recent bad Disney movie about the football player at Clemson.

It’s a pilot so I will see where it goes but it started out very bad for me.

Crobinzine likes this.
  9. The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    I enjoyed it. I remember watching Rocky Johnson wrestle early in his career in the late 60's so I have always been a fan of The Rock.

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I forgot about this show. Guess I'll check it out to see if I like the smellllllll of what the Rock is cooking.

11. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I liked it. I've always liked him as an actor. Even if it's mostly him when he's younger, it's interesting to see what his life was like. If indeed we are seeing that. It doesn't matter anyway. It's entertaining. And Waffle was a really good character I wish they could have kept on.

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think you meant to say that you'll check it out to see if you can telllllll what The Rock is hungry for.

Interesting that the framing device is an interview to personalize Dwayne Johnson during his 2032 campaign for President of the United States. I wonder if he actually has ambitions of being POTUS. That would certainly be fascinating.

13. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The first episode was surprisingly good. I'm in.

14. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Agreed. Nahnatchka Khan seems to have a knack for producing engaging pilots. This was no exception.

15. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    I liked it alot for the individual stories. The whole "interview for president" schtick is stupid and draws out of the plot

Tony_T likes this.
  16. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I agree. I like Randall Park because of "Fresh Off the Boat", but that's not really why I'm watching.

The running for president makes me think of "Jack and Bobby" on The WB which had kids in the present day and realistic commentary from the distant future about the life of a man who became President of the United States. Bobby was the President but we didn't know which one it was going to me.

17. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Liked the 2nd episode also. DJ is an engaging character.

"Get off this bus pervert"

18. Fixer

Fixer Fixin' it!!

Mar 29, 2005
    The Great...
    We plan to check this out. Judging by the description, is this basically a Rock version of "Me, Myself, and I"?

19. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    No. While it has a similar concept, I find they are nothing alike.

DevdogAZ likes this.
  20. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I enjoyed that episode. Randall getting mad is kind of annoying when I'm so used to the perky steak house owner.

But the girl "Tomas" took to the wrestling match was an interesting character. She seemed shallow but actually enjoyed herself. Now we have to wonder if she'll defend him when they continue to insult him.

And everyone thinking "Tomas" isn't really a student.

And Dewey's mom has a new friend who is also her boss.