You Got Your S3 - Are You Completely "Sat & Cable" Free?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cheridave, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1 of 39
    cheridave

cheridave "PT Cruisers-R-Cool"

Mar 1, 2004
    Orange...

Advertisements

I am wondering if anybody that now owns the S3 has completely dropped "Sat and Cable" and are totally using their S3 for just OTA.

Is this working out for you and are you experiencing any issues?

Is anybody else considering this option?

Dave

2. Oct 2, 2006 #2 of 39
    snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I am, but went this way about 2 years ago, once the majority of network primetime programming went HD.

3. Oct 2, 2006 #3 of 39
    minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    I dropped cable and am using only OTA broadcasts without any issues. The S3's ATSC tuner is great! :)

The site http://antennaweb.org will give you some idea of how well OTA will work for you. You can enter only your ZIP+4 and get precise results, if you don't want to provide all of the requested information. (My reception is much better than that site predicts.)

Edit to add: Ooops! I get the most complete list of available stations if I enter only my ZIP, not ZIP+4.

4. Oct 2, 2006 #4 of 39
    tunnelengineer

tunnelengineer New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    I would drop cable but ESPNHD is too good. Monday night football is a must. I do notice that 90% of what i record is on the networks OTA though.

5. Oct 2, 2006 #5 of 39
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...

Advertisements

I used to be a big advocate of antennaweb.org but now when entering my zip code it claims NO digital channels available in my area yet here I am with an indoor amplified antenna receiving all the major network HD channels without a problem at 80% or better signal strength.

6. Oct 2, 2006 #6 of 39
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I haven't had cable since 1987 and never went sat. OTA works great for me. The S3 tunes it in just fine.

7. Oct 2, 2006 #7 of 39
    Shawn95GT

Shawn95GT Tivo, in HD!

Oct 7, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    S3 is OTA only, works like a champ.

I have an S2 recording my 'cable' channels (VDSL). I would drop cable if the family wasn't addicted to Disney / FX / spike / Scifi.

I'm switching to a conventional digital cable provider soon to try and get some more HD. I see hard drive upgrades and at least one more S3 in the future.

8. Oct 2, 2006 #8 of 39
    woodie

woodie New Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Menlo Park, CA
    I'm just about ready to go 100% OTA. All my season passes are from OTA.
    I'd like to download 'Battlestar Galactica' and 'The Daily Show with Jon Stewart'
    from the the iTunes store, trasncode it, and upload it to my Series2... but I imagine
    there will be DRM issues in the way.

9. Oct 2, 2006 #9 of 39
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I'd love to, but can't, given I'm in Colorado where it's almost impossible to get digital signals for ABC, NBC and CBS unless you live a block or two from the transmitter.

The digital OTA situation here is almost criminal. :(

10. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    When I finally get mine I'll be using it for OTA HD only.

I'll still have the other TiVo's listed in my sig, but the S3 will be only antenna and only HD.

phox

11. cheridave

Mar 1, 2004
    Orange...
    It seems that almost all of our recordings on the HD-TIVO is OTA and the only time we watch anything else is during the off-season.

I admit that we would miss some of the other channels but a $55.00 a month savings sounds mighty tempting to me.

Dave

12. montivette

montivette Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Minnesota
    I am 100% OTA and am happy as this unit allows me to record the HD shows without the need for cable or satellite service.

With cable I could not record all of the local channels as the cable DVR had no OTA tuner, and they offered only limited local HD channels.

I am never home in the evening to watch the TV shows so now I can record them in HD and watch them when I want. This makes me happy.

I do miss all the HD movie channels on cable (HBO, Showtime) but I do not miss my $100 per month cable TV bill.

13. snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    We missed a few things at first, when we cut the cord two years ago, but over time, we all found things we liked well enough on broadcast.

We also have a Netflix subscription, so between the two, we've never had a lack of things to watch.

14. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I've currently got both Sat and Cable, and one (probably Sat) will be going by bye. We couldn't go completely Sat and Cable free as about 95% of what we watch is not available OTA. There are 3 programs we watch on the local Fox station and basically none on the other networks, and then some off PBS. At least with the S3, given its superior tuner, I can get the Fox station without dropouts, but now I also get the HD version via Cable (which isn't available to TiVo via Satellite).

15. Spenser

Spenser New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    I've been OTA only for the past two years, and the S3 is the perfect fix for my HD "addiction".

16. Toeside

Toeside Circa Dec 2005

Feb 14, 2002
    St Louis, MO

This is exactly what I want to do, but taking Nickelodeon (1&2) and Noggin away from the kids will be tough. It'd be nice for an a la carte offering so I can pay a few bucks a month for the Nicks, Noggin, and FX. And FSN and ESPN.

17. cheridave

Mar 1, 2004
    Orange...
    I know that my wife and I are still debating getting the S3 and dumping "D".

Sometimes I guess once you have something you don't want to give it up.

I am probably one of them.

Dave

18. MacThor

MacThor Not Pictured

Feb 7, 2002
    Richmond VA
    We've already gone the OTA-only route, now we're trying to get over the hump of justifying the cost of the S3. $1100/3 years = $30.55 a month. Tack on Netflix and we are at $50/month.

Yes, DirecTV was more expensive, but we can't really count that as "savings" since we cannot get the satellite signal.

We only have 7 OTA channels, 5 of which have any HD content (our 2 PBS stations are way behind the times). Can somebody help me sell my wife on paying $30.55 more per month to record something we're now getting for free?

We're still using the HR10-250 as a dual-tuner live buffer for OTA. It's working so far, but once we have a conflict there could be trouble. :) Are the tuners in the S3 much better than those in the HR10-250?

19. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    For me they are. My problem channel has gone from annoying to perfect. (But I've yet to see what happens in wind and rain.)

20. daveyslc

daveyslc New Member

Sep 23, 2006
    I'm completely OTA. There are some awesome shows on cable (esp. HBO) but ask yourself if you can wait til they come out on DVD.

Why even get a tivo if you only have like 12 channels? I think that depends on if the broadcast channels have enough of what I like. I watch about 8 network shows and about 10 PBS - that's plenty of tv watching if you ask me. So my needs are met with OTA.

And the picture is gorgeous. Kind of a kick to get such amazing resolution with your own creaky rig on your own slippery roof.

And here's a gem from another thread:
    "my S3 is deleting shows due to "copyright holder policy" ..."

His cable company is screwing him by setting copyright flags and the poor guy is paying for that inconvenience.