You can now cancel TiVO service online (cue Twilight Zone theme...)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by WhenenRome, May 18, 2019 at 4:06 AM.

1. WhenenRome

WhenenRome New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I just logged into my account on the web, scrolled down to my device list, and noticed that each one now has the option to "Cancel Service."

That's something I never thought we'd see. Is TiVO being more customer friendly, or is it some kind of sign of a DVR apocalypse? :fearscream::wink:

* EDIT: I'm in California, where a law was enacted last year that allows people to cancel accounts online when those accounts were originally activated online. With Tivo, this option wasn't there for me when I logged in last month. You may or may not be seeing this option on your account in your location...

BTW, this post is not in any way a suggestion to go cancel... Only letting us all know that if we need to deactivate a service, we may not have to deal with the formerly obligatory hour-long phone experience - with gratuitous hold times & CSR's relentlessly pleading with us to keep it activated.

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 2:56 PM
  2. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    That has been there for almost a year I think. Had something to do with complying with a California law

krkaufman likes this.
  3. Darrell Patton

Darrell Patton Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Does it really work for anyone outside of California? Or does it just take you to a message box saying to call?

4. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    The important question is "Does it finally remove that $#@! device from your list of devices?" I have a premiere that hasn't been plugged in for years, yet every time the stupid certificate expires in the tivo app, I have to log back in from scratch and pick which device to use from the list that is cluttered up with the nonexistent premiere. This wouldn't bother me so much if the certificate didn't seemingly expire every 15 nanoseconds.

5. WhenenRome

WhenenRome New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    They must not have been in compliance with all accounts. In April, I sold a Roamio OTA I was no longer using - and at that time on the device list, the option wasn't showing for me.

But you're right, such a law was enacted on 7/1/2018. Sorry for the confusion. I'll edit the original post. And here I thought this was an effort by TiVO in being more customer-focused (or them waving some sort of white flag!).

That was the second thing I noticed. They separated the device list into two tabs - default open tab has your active devices, and the second tab has inactive ones.

6. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    This feature is nice, but somehow they still can’t figure out how to remove a previously owned device that has been transferred to another owner/account.

7. WhenenRome

WhenenRome New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    For me, they completely removed the Roamio OTA I sold. But I also sold two Minis along with it, and those are still showing on the second tab - except now they say something like "this device is activated under another account."

8. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    shows up in my account to cancel box subscription even though I'm in Nebraska

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 9:19 PM
    WhenenRome likes this.
  9. WhenenRome

WhenenRome New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    On my end, I noticed that the whole layout of the device list had changed. Thanks for checking that & updating us... I think I need to edit my original post again, lol.