Yet another TiVo pricing scheme? $199+12.95/m?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by hoyty, Nov 16, 2010.

1. hoyty

hoyty Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Sammamish, WA

Advertisements

In the last hour or so I got an email from TiVo offering me a Premiere for $199 with the $12.95 monthly pricing. It appears this might be an "upgrade" only offer but I am not 100% sure. I have an S3 currently. Now it appears I can get a TiVo for:
    $269 + $199 lifetime (2yr total $468) or
    $299 + $9.95 a month 1 yr (2 yr total 537.80) or
    $269 + $9.95 a month 1 yr (2 yr total 507.80) or
    $199 + $12.95 a month 1 yr (2 yr total 509.80) or
    $99 + $19.95 a month for 1 yr (2 yr total 577.80) or
    $0 + $19.95 a month for 2 yr (2 yr total 478.80)

I guess the end result is if keeping for 2 years the slightly discounted + lifetime is still the best deal but it is all upfront and if you keep it even 1 or 2 months beyond the 2 year point it makes even more sense. I just am not sure what TiVo gains from all these pricing structures other than confusion. Also when I login to tivo.com and try to look at the deal in the link below it doesn't even show as an option so I don't know who it applies to.

Link to deal

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    What they gain is providing choice which generally increase sales. If more people find away to pay TiVo that they like - then more of them are likely to buy it.

Thanks,

3. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I think if they offered a Christmas upgrade offer of $199 and $199 lifetime they would have a hugh volume of upgrades sold.....And allieviate most of the problems with the $99 offers for current customers.

Would be a great PR deal for existing customers and net a large number of sales.

4. steinbch

steinbch Active Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I can't help but see these pricing changes as a chance to create a more steady income stream. With lifetime service, TiVo gets a large chunk of money up front, but eventually (is it 3 years?), your lifetime service does nothing for them but keep you from buying a new box. While it is currently confusing and not presented well, I have to imagine that moving to a pay system such as this can only help TiVo.

5. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005

Advertisements

I don't know.

I think it's just a promotion.

I mean it's even advertised as ending Dec. 31st.

I think the reason they had to change their policy for the promotion was they had little way to tell what price you paid for your Tivo. And they couldn't afford to give out lifetime on the $99 price. Nor do the standard rates on a box they were losing money on up front.

They didn't have to worry about this during the $0 down promotion because I think that was only through Tivo.