Yet Another 'Recording without a subscription' question

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by vrbaba, Aug 20, 2007.

1. vrbaba

vrbaba New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I did do a search on this topic before deciding to post this new thread. Most of the topic and results that came up are over a year old.

I have a Series 2 Tivo. I used to have a subscription, which I cancelled. Towards the end of the subscription term, my phone line would not work to connect to TiVo. However, I could manually record by setting the channel and time. That all worked fine till now.

Recently, i got a wireless adapter, which I connected to tivo to see if it is compatible. But now, after attaching it (it worked), the software was automatically updated. It now shows that my service is cancelled, and I cannot manually record.

I also found out that Tivo does not do monthly subscription without a commitment. So, I dont want to sign a contract for a year. So you know the question... basically

- How can I get it working? I read something called "daily call" to Tivo, which I dont want to do. I am willing to hack it somewhat... something like reverting it to the old software or firmware? any guidelines for that ?

Thanks for your help

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    A series 2 unit will not record without a subscription
    Tivo's product is box+subscription.

3. vrbaba

vrbaba New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I know. But thats why I posted in the Underground section :p because arent talks about alternatives allowed here?

to ask coy-ly...
    - Can I revert to an older firmware/software on a Tivo Series 2?

EDIT: To be clear, I am NOT asking for a free subscription. I only want manual recording on a hardware that I own to work.

4. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    No.

5. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    you can hack boxes to do stuff on it but you can't STEAL service

you want service, you need to pay for a subscription.

6. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I believe you misunderstand what happened.

You're Tivo doesn't work any more not because of a software/firmware change, but because it got told that service was canceled.

7. vrbaba

vrbaba New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I guess most of you misunderstood... I dont want TiVo service.

I just want manual recording. I think owning a piece of hardware and doing all the work manually does not require a subscription.

8. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    yup it does

w/o a subscription all you can do it watch previously recorded stuff and pause live tv for up to 30 minutes.

tivo takes a loss on the hardware and makes up for it on a subscription.

no service
    no subscription
    no dice

9. vrbaba

vrbaba New Member

Aug 20, 2007

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up. I thought Tivo changed their policies about manual recording and thus changed the software to block me and other canceled accounts.

10. rgura

rgura RobGTX

Feb 20, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Sorry, but No, from the TiVo Service Agreement, see section 7:

Your TiVo DVR Won't Work Without the TiVo Service! A subscription to the TiVo service is required in order for your TiVo DVR to have any functionality. No functionality is represented or should be expected from the TiVo DVR without a paid subscription to the TiVo service.

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/tivoserviceagreement.html

11. vrbaba

vrbaba New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    thanks for the replies guys. sadly, the answer is no :(

I would pay for Tivo if I used it. but its only for my mom who watches 2 channels and 5 programs. I just cant justify paying that much. I would do it on a monthly basis as long as im home and want to watch my sports, but after that, noone else but her will watch tv.

off to looking for alternatives...

12. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You thought wrong. Recording is a feature enabled by subscription on series 2s, hence enabling recording without paying is theft of service.
    Don't argue with us on that concept, that is just the way it is. Nothing can be done about it.

Alternatives basically include PC DVRs , HDD based DVD recorders, or provider DVRs.

13. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I have a suggestion. Buy a DVD recording S2 tivo which comes with free "basic" service and it will do just what you want.

14. inertiaman

inertiaman New Member

Mar 31, 2007
    My dilemma is that I already have 2 TIVOs that I pay for... just want to be able to pipe my shows from one of those two TIVOs down to another TV in my basement. Could I just get a TIVO without service to do that, or is that considered recording??

15. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    That would be considered MRV which is another paid feature. Even the dvd tivo's with lifetime "Basic" don't include MRV without a subscription. You could probably hack all the boxes and use manual fxp transfers but that borders on extraction also, which can't be discussed at this site either.