Yet Another reason cable is better than DirecTV...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by parzec, Jun 13, 2008.

1. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC

Advertisements

A couple of months ago I paid around $169 to lease a HR21 ("paid to lease" -- this is the first advantage cable has over satellite) and have the "slim" dish installed. As of a couple of weeks ago, I lost a few channels (74 UHD, 79 HDN, 415 Once, 438 HITN and 455 CTV9) get the searching for signal message. I called DirecTV, went through all of their troubleshooting lists twice, once with the computer and a second tme with a live rep -- unplug, reset, check cables, check for obsturction, tune to test channels, etc. and after going through all successfully, was told a service call would be required -- AT THE COST OF $79.99 !!!! If I am leasing the equipment and am under contract to pay for service, shouldn't it be their responsibility to keep the service working? Anyway, Time-Warner doesn't charge a dime for service calls and you don't have to pay upfront for the right to lease. I wonder when DirecTV will finally get slapped by the feds for their shady business practices. Until they clean up their act, I recommend that people steer clear of this company.

2. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    They can get pretty bold when they have you on the hook for 2 years, can't they?

Sorry about that. Truly a horrible example of advantage and greed. Pay to lease, problems with service, and a service call charge!

That's why I will NEVER sign up with a commitment on anything. I'll pay more upfront if I have to, but once they have a commitment contract, their motivation to resolve service issues goes away.

3. T1V0

T1V0 New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    I agree, and unfortunately so does directv.

4. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    So you're still single then? Some commitments aren't that bad.

5. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX

Advertisements

:D
    Kudos for the wit.

However, I seem to recall that even as part of the commitments between people, you still get a trial period. Dating, engagment, and all the things that are a part of that.

There is no dating period with DirecTV's DVR equipment. Yep, she shows up at your door with an expensive divorce settlement in hand.

6. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I agree that some of the D* policies are bad, but it would take a lot more than no commitments to go back to cable. It's bad enough I have to deal with them for internet access.

7. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    Cable company here charges for service calls if they determine the problem is not outside out your house. The test from the pole to the house entry, if it is working you get charge 70.00 for them to work on the inside wiring unless you have their wire insurance plan.

BTW the "paid to lease" charge is normally called a lease aquisition charge - if you lease cars, boats, planes, house you will see that in the paper work.

8. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    So with DirecTV you pay $169 up front and no monthly fees (at most a $5 monthly programming mirror fee if this is your 2nd or greater receiver, no monthly if it's your only one).

Or pay at least $14 a month with cable.

So let's add that up...

After 12 months with cable you just paid the same amount you did to DirecTV up front.
    With cable you keep on paying that monthly though. DirecTV you pay notta.

I think I'll pay $169 up front thank you very much. ;)

Lucky you. It's $40 here just to show up let alone do anything, $80 an hour to fix something. I don't pay a dime to DirecTV for service calls, I do it all myself. If you don't have the ability to do that then there is the protection plan for $5.95 a month and all your service calls are free. Same plan with cable here is $8 a month. Again, you're lucky if you don't have to pay that with your personal cable system.

9. jfelbab

jfelbab WineBoZo

Jan 18, 2002
    Cape Coral, FL
    TW doesn't charge for service calls here. Problem is that their DVR is a steaming POS. I have them out every month or two replacing my DVR's. Their techs are clueless as well. I long for the days that I had a clear southern exposure and TiVo. Now I am stuck with TW.

10. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Good for them.

I got broadband from Cox, had to buy and self-install the modem and configure the computer (they showed up outside to hook it up but never showed at the door) all of which I was never given any directions for. I then called saying it wasn't working, and they said they would send someone out. I figured it out myself and called them back 2 hours later and cancelled the service call, and no one ever came to actually fix the problem (which I had fixed myself).

But I had another problem, which was that they charged me $50 for the service call, which was never made. Apparently they want $50 just for picking up the phone and arranging a service call, which was promptly cancelled and which they never rolled a truck on. Knowing the way they work, I'm a little surprised they didn't charge me another $50 for cancelling the service call, actually.

So I dropped their broadband, which would have grossed them about 2 grand by now had they just dropped the $50 charge. And they still send me flyers about how great their broadband is. Airholes.

So it will be a cold day in hell before they pry me away from DirecTV.

11. madbeachcat

madbeachcat Content is King

Jan 31, 2002
    Dyersburg, TN
    Maybe this will be right after they slap the cell service providers. Hell, they don't even prorate their ETF. It's $200 now or $200 with 1 month left on the contract.

12. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    The big advantage to cable is that the box can be tested at home, so for the person who doesn't like the Direct dvr, they will have to pay up to $480 + the up front lease, so that could make the lease fee way above anyone else's. Oh yeah, those folks could also pay Direct $50.00 or more per month until their commitment runs out, and we see lots of them remarking about counting off the months.

Parzec and others are right - Direct can be very deceptive. A lot of people have said they never told them there was no trial period. Some claim they never told them about the ETF. It's your word against theirs when the 2 years are actually up.

And of course, most of the D* fan boys on this site never bother to mention the 'fine print' when they tell a Tivo lover how they will 'get used to it'.

13. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Wah, wah, wah. DirecTV is evil....

Your math is just as bad as an infamous candidate for the office of President of the United States and their claims to have been the winner of the popular vote. Using your math DirecTV is more expensive. Using real math DirecTV is cheaper.

Keep tiltin' at the windmill. I'm sure by now you've cost DirecTV, uh, no lost customers.

14. incog-neato

incog-neato ObamaGuy

Sep 17, 2007
    The Cold...
    Well, all those channels are on 110 or 119 sat. Seems like either your dish went out of alignment or you have a bad LNB or multiswitch or maybe your connectors are corroded. Did you check transponders on 110 & 119?

You receiver is leased not the dish or wiring or multiswitch which is warranteed for 90 days (unless you have the protection plan). That is why they are charging you. You could take the PP now and they will only charge you $19.99 I believe for the service visit.

Just like leasing a car, if your tires blow out they aren't covered under the lease but under a separate limited waranty or if your car is submerged in water because of a flood it isn't covered either (you would need separate insurance, ie. a "protection plan" to get your car back in service again).

Some people like to "self-insure" (ie. don't pay for insurance figuring they will try to beat the odds figuring nothing will happen, others pay the insurance fee and don't have to worry.

Those who DON'T buy the insurance cry when they have to pay, those that DO take the insurance and never need it cry because they wasted their money. :)

15. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Or claims of WMD in Iraq -- but hey, let's leave politics out of this one, unless you want to lose the argument :)

16. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    But with cars there are lemon laws and and in real estate there are warranties of habitibility -- but we are not talking about real estate and cars. We are talking about television: specifically comparing DirecTV to cable, and cable doesn't charge for service calls when their equipment fails, but DirecTv does -- and a fairly substantial amount. This is why I advise potential customers to choose cable and skip DirecTV: lousy customer service and crazy contracts. I laugh at the new DirecTV ads that claim DirecTVs customer service superiority. They don't have local offices, they have to outsource all of their service to mostly unqualified IC's, and burden the customer with the cost to keep their equipment running. DirecTV requires the purchase of additional insurance or expensive service calls whereas cable does not. Cable wins this battle hands down.

17. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Exactly what I was thinking -- I went to the test channels and the correct voltage was reported for the 110 and 119 sats. I am thinking about connecting my HR10 to it -- (it is currently on an oval 3 lnb dish) -- do I connect it to the "slim" sat with or without the B dongles ?? If I connect it and get the channels, I can at least rule out the satellite dish as the issue.

18. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Just curious, will the TivoHD work on with TW in your area? I don't have one, but perhaps it would be a viable solution. (I do know there are known issues with SDV )

19. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Add a second HR21 to the equation and don't forget the mandatory HD-ACCESS fee...then i think the advantage goes to cable.

20. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Finally, I do remember a reputable poster (that likes the HR21) indicating that there was a batch of LNB's that would overheat and fail. I think that might be my problem. If so, why should I have to pay for a service call to fix their defective product?