yet another Live TV Guide (from hulu)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by KDeFlane, May 9, 2018.

1. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley

Advertisements

per this article The Live TV Guide Has Arrived – Hulu Press Site
    "...the next time you fire up your Xbox One, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Nintendo Switch devices, you’ll have instant access to live TV... Whenever you’re watching live programming, you’ll be able to access the enhanced guide to easily see what’s on now, what’s coming up next and of course switch channels."
    I have none of those devices and I am not a hulu subscriber. I just wonder how accurate their listings will be (and whether they get their data direct from the networks or thru a third party).

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Looks very similar to guide on the Android "Live Channels" app. Could be the same guide data source too (Google), but that's just a guess.

In any case, this doesn't apply to Hulu, rather just to their Live TV service which lacked a guide until now. This finally puts them on par with other OTT live tv services which have had a guide all along (DirecTV NOW, PS Vue, Sling TV, etc.).

3. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    They previously had guide, in that you could see what was currently "on" and what was "upcoming", it just wasn't a traditional grid guide. The new one seems like one step forward, and one step back since it only shows what is on now, and one next per channel.

I only got to play with it a few minutes this morning. It was still possible to bring up the former "icon slider" of what's on next, but the route to do so seemed inconsistent. What worked in one place, didn't work in another.

The thing I think I liked most about this update was the ability to get to live TV faster, by selecting the lightning bolt. Previously, it always felt like you had to dig too deep.

Good to see they are continuing development.