Yahoo! Login in 8.1.1 doesn't seem to work

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by kucharsk, Feb 20, 2007.

1. kucharsk

kucharsk Member

Feb 2, 2007

Advertisements

With the release of 8.1.1, I was finally able to set up my S3 to use my wireless network (using WPA2 encryption.)

However, I can't get the TiVo to use my Yahoo! userid and password. I logged in and out of my Yahoo! account several times to confirm the password, but every time I try the S3 tells me it was a bad ID and/or password.

I found a reference somewhere else to try changing the password but that didn't help me out at all.

Anyone else been able to get their S3 to use their Yahoo! account, or do you need to create a new one specifically for the S3?

2. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    No, mine works just fine.

3. kucharsk

kucharsk Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Was yours set up before or after the update?

I've seen people say theirs carried over OK, but don't know if this is a weird 8.1.1 thing. I didn't have an existing Yahoo! account set up because I only just got network access working.

4. FlippedBit

FlippedBit New Member

Dec 25, 2001
    Mountain...
    Mine seems to have carried over OK also. I just checked the weather.

5. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio

Advertisements

Before the update.

6. HORUS

HORUS New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    NJ
    Yahoo needs to seriously think about having a separate media password that is different from their email password that the TIVO requires to sync up with your account. I have reservations about using the same password for my TIVO that I use for my emails. Just my opinion.

7. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Does anybody really use Yahoo as a serious email account? I don't.

8. HORUS

HORUS New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    NJ
    What constitutes serious in your book? What email provider or ISP do you use that one could aspire to? What makes what your using any more worthy to be used for 'serious' emails than yahoo?

9. chrishicks

chrishicks Tivo Junkie

Dec 30, 2003
    MI
    I just setup mine on my S3 a few minutes ago since I can finally use my wireless adapter and it works just fine.

10. BoyScout

BoyScout New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Utah
    I've never been able to use Yahoo on either my s2 or s3 before or after the updates. I'm sure it is because I have non alpha characters such as _ + and @ in my userid and password. Never really bothered trying to fix it.

11. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    Are you kidding? Millions of people do including myself. It works very well. The have excellent spam and virus filtering, I use the Calendar, Notepad and other features all the time. I even pay the $24 a year for extra space and other features. Since it is a web based email account I can access it from anywhere and POP my other email accounts from it as well.

12. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    I had that issue to since I was using weird characters for my password. After I changed it to alphanumeric it was ok.

13. CraigHB

CraigHB __________

Dec 24, 2003
    Reno, NV
    Yahoo mail does seem to be pretty reliable. I have a POP account I use for personal mail, but I use several Yahoo acounts for online stuff. I don't particularly have a problem with sharing my email password with the TiVo. If you're worried about it, simply set up a dedicated Yahoo account for that, it's not like it's any real trouble. I have 3 Yahoo accounts I use for various stuff. For instance, one is dedicated to Netflix, another is dedicated to online subscriptions, and one is dedicated to online shopping.

14. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio

Well, I don't know why I've developed that opinion. Fact is I use gmail for my email now and it's pretty good too.

I guess I just see so much junk mail form yahoo.com that I think of scam when I see it.

15. Jiffylush

Jiffylush New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Just wanted to put in my .02 on the working/not working part:

Mine was working before and it is working after, my password contains upper, lower, and numbers, but no non-alpha characters.

As far as the primary email discussion, I use my ISPs email, had it for almost 8 years now. I have gmail, but only use it for testing external email at work, and using it as a 'locker' to keep files accessible online. (my vpn client for example)

16. CraigHB

CraigHB __________

Dec 24, 2003
    Reno, NV
    But the thing about spam is the header information (To:, From:, etc.) is always spoofed. Spammers tend to use false "from" addresses from large services (like Yahoo) to try and make their junk appear more like legitimate mail. So, you may be seeing junk mail from with a Yahoo "from" address, but that doesn't mean that's where it's coming from. Yahoo does not allow accounts to be used as junk mail portals. They have limitations in place to prevent them from being used that way. Spammers don't use legitimate accounts/servers anyway. A lot of them are overseas and attached to shady service providers.

17. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    In an unholy alliance between spammers and virus writers, virus writers will sell to spammers access to machines that their virus has compromised, so the compromised machine can be used to spew forth their sewage. The spam thus originates from innocent-looking IP addresses. :( And as mentioned above, the From: address in e-mail is just part of the message, and is whatever the creator of the message wants it to be. And with the compromised machines, even the (normally not shown) Received-From: headers, which tell what machine sent the message, are useless.

18. BoyScout

BoyScout New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Utah
    I think I'll take your advice and create a Yahoo account just for tivo. I guess having a simple password really doesn't matter if it is disposable anyway.

19. kucharsk

kucharsk Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Ah... I too have "SYM" characters in my password; I'll try a straight number/letter combo.

Edited: Confirmed. I deleted a "!" from my password, and can now login. I'll call TiVo and let them know…

20. CraigHB

CraigHB __________

Dec 24, 2003
    Reno, NV
    Yea, those spammers are relentess. Is there really any difference between the two? When looking at the mail log on my personal server, I see at least 20 or 30 unique hits every day from people looking to see if they can exploit my mail agent. Of course they can't, but they sure try, every day. I wouldn't be surprised at all if spammers are out there trying to compromise machines just to exploit their mail agents. Looking at the error log for my Apache web server, I see tons of script requests from God knows who. I imagine they're attempts to compromise my server. Fortunately, my web server doesn't contain any of those exploitable scripts that run by default on Microsoft IIS. I wouldn't wish that black hole of security on an enemy. Man, you gotta be hyper-vigilant on the internet.