Xvid transfers

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tonyonlinux, Jan 12, 2006.

1. tonyonlinux

tonyonlinux New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    I bought a program called winavi convertor that converts xvid vidoes to mpeg2 files. I download a lot of clips from bittorrent for tvshows. Anyway, when I convert the xvid to mpeg2 for some reason when it plays on the tivo it has lines all thru it i guess its audio lines not really sure. Anyone else experience this is there some kinda codec i need to download to resolve this?
    thanks

2. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Use free Videroa converter software to convert Divx files to Tivo compatible mpg2 files. Problem solved. I do the same stuff, and it works great.

3. tonyonlinux

tonyonlinux New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    thanks for the reply. there is only one small problem I have downloaded this program and for some reason it doesn't like me. More specifically when I run the program with the video to transcode it runs for around 2 to 3 secs then stops and produces an avs file. I looked in the logs and it says something to the fact of format not supported. I have xp codec pack installed and othe divx codecs and the movies play perfect on my system before transcode. You have any idea on this issue? I noticed i'm not the only one having the issue according to the videora tivo converter forum. However that forum seems to be dead because none of the issues have been addressed.

4. Sam Lowry

Sam Lowry Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Hi-
    I use WinAvi Converter frequently to convert xvid to mpg2 without problem for use on Tivo. One way to make sure it's not a codec problem is to make sure you can play the xvid files on your computer using Windows MEdia Player. If it looks fine in WMP, then you may want to check your quality settings in WinAvi converter.
    -SL

5. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Try downloading and installing the XVID codec:

http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

6. tonyonlinux

tonyonlinux New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    I noticed you stated you use winavi with xvid to mpg2. You also mentioned the quality settings. I know what your talking about but my question to you is could you be more specific as to what these settings should be set to? Thanks for your help.

7. Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    Does this mean you can play the avi divx files on your pc (ie Windows Media Player), prior to conversion?

8. tonyonlinux

tonyonlinux New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    yes they play fine on the laptop but when i convert i can see the image and hear sound but i have static lines running horizontal thru the movie, when i fast forward the lines go away when i hit play again the lines are there. Hope this help you understand what i mean.

9. tonyonlinux

tonyonlinux New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    thanks this solved the issue with videora tivo. thanks a lot. :D

10. bsporl

bsporl Member

Feb 7, 2006

Tonyonlinus, Did updating the codec resolve your problem?

I am having the exact same problem as you describe:

Background:
    - Downloaded Prison Break (accidentally deleted before wife got to see last Monday's episode)
    - Watched xvid file using Windows Media Player, looked good
    - Converted file using WinAVI to mpeg2
    - Watched mpg file using Windows Media Player, looked good
    - Copied file to TiVo folder on local desktop
    - Went to TiVo, copied file to Now Playing folder
    - Started show, white horizontal lines penetrated most of the screen

Attempt to Resolve:
    - Checked TiVoCommunity.com for resolution, found this forum
    - Updated codec (http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/)
    - Watched original xvid file using Windows Media Player, looked good
    - Converted file using WinAVI to mpeg2
    - Watched updated mpg file using Windows Media Player, looked good
    - Copied file to TiVo folder on local desktop, uploaded to Now Playing folder
    - Started show, white horizontal lines......

Do you have any other suggestions?

Problem:
    - Converted xvid file to mpeg2
    - When playing, white horizontal (1/8 inch high) cover bottom 3/4's of the screen
    - If Fast Forward pressed once, screen clears up and looks normal but no sound on in FF mode
    - The show is 16X9 and looks like the bottom 3/4's of the image is stretched down so there's no black bar under the image, and the gaps are filled with white horizontal lines.
    - Sound is good

11. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    instead of "- Converted file using WinAVI to mpeg2"
    try Videora software.

I know I sound like a broken record but to convert Xvid or Divx to a Tivo compatible file it really can't be beat.

12. bsporl

bsporl Member

Feb 7, 2006
    jkalnin,

I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks...

I wonder what WinAVI is doing to cause TiVo compatibility problems.

13. zigmo

zigmo New Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Rockaway,...
    I use WinAVI and would sometimes get the white lines. As soon as I unchecked "keep original size" (or whatever it was called) and manually entered a height and width off TiVo's page, I've never had a problem since.

14. bsporl

bsporl Member

Feb 7, 2006
    zigmo, do you recall the height/width used?

In the mean time, I'll dig around Tivo's support site.

15. bsporl

bsporl Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Per zigmo's suggestion, I used WinAVI, unchecked "keep original size", and used 720/480. Now the conversions work well, I can use WinAVI batch functionality to convert multiple videos.

Thanks for the suggestions.

16. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    Does it matter which videroa you use? Just plain version or Vidoera Tvio version?

17. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Videora Tivo Converter

18. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    Ok...so i convert the xvid thru Videora TIVO....and it seemed to work....as it now shows as an MPEG....I transfer it to my Tivo....info shows 1h 39 mins....looks about right...havent watched it yet but i started playing to make sure it did transfer and the time bar show 1hr 6 mins...???

i FF and ->| to the end....it pauses like it normally does at the end...i push play...and it plays and plays and plays...didnt have time to watch how long it would play...but in that short time it shoulda popped up the Delete/Dont Delete screen...but it didnt....

Guess i'll have to watch it and see what happens...

19. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Did you fully transfer the show? Sometimes I transfer over a Sopranos and it will say duration: 5 minutes. However, if I come back in an hour later it will say Duration: 50 minutes. If the video isn't fully transferred then the total time isn't correct. If you ->| to the end the video will pause because the Tivo is now up to the point where the video is transferring from the PC.

PS : why doesn't your ->| do a 30 second skip yet? Thats the best.

20. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    it was done transferring at the time...(just check IMDB, 99 minute run time)...in fact it was the next day when i checked it...transferred at night...when you FF a show you are watching and it gets to the end the FF will pause...push play and it will play for maybe another 30ish seconds....then Delete/Dont Delete comes up.

I set one of the remotes for 30 sec skip...but dont remember how to do it... :-(