XL4 Tuner Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jay2tak, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Jay2tak

Jay2tak Member

Jun 10, 2009
    One of the tuners on my Premier XL4 has a poor/weak signal, anyone know whats up?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's bad. Do you know how to 1) verify the tuner is bad, 2) ever need to record more than three shows at once, 3) want to avoid using the bad tuner for recordings?

You can call TiVo and get it swapped for a referb (maybe).

Jay2tak likes this.
  3. Jay2tak

Jay2tak Member

Jun 10, 2009
    1)No,2)No,3)Yes. Could you point me to this information? I,ll call TiVo, however i would like to avoid the Comcast repairing hassle.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Cool. First let's verify the exact tuner. If you restart the box (Help, Restart), all tuners will be on the same channel when it finishes. Then go to Setting & Messages, Account & System Info, TiVo Box Diagnostics. You now see all tuners and your cable card. For each tuner there is a Signal Strength % and SNR. Since all channels are the same, all numbers should be the same. The bad tuner should be obvious. RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected should be zero. Scroll down to see all tuners. Near the end is OOB Tune Start: run time in seconds.

The tuners can be preset to channels you want to record. The channel you are watching will never be used for a recording unless you try four recordings at once. So while watching a normal video screen, hit Info, then Down. Now you see all the tuners and their channels. You can not make two tuners use the same channel without a restart, recording overlap, or restart.

How I "Preset" my tuners on a TiVo that only records CBS, NBC, and Comedy Central. First, I do a restart. When it's done, I bring up the guide and select CBS. I then hit Info, Down, and select the next tuner (which is on the restart channel). Hit guide, the select NBC. Hit Info, Down, right and down to restart channel, Select. Now guide, and select Comedy Central. Finally, hit Info, Down, Right and select the restart channel. That tuner will be the only one I use. If I select CBS, NBC, or CC, it will mess up the allocation and you will have to figure out how to fix it without a restart. It can be done.

If I had a bad tuner, I would use the above selection process to put it on a channel I will never watch, like HSN. Then if I ever see HSN, I know to hit Enter (Last) and go back. I have two Roamio boxes and one basic Premiere, I use one Roamio to record NBC, CBS and Comedy Central. The other Roamio records everything else and has a 3TB drive.

5. Jay2tak

Jay2tak Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks for the help, I now think I may have a Comcast or interference problem as I have a lot of RS Corrected errors (30000 to 40000) on all tuners.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's a lot of errors. If you have an ARRIS SB modem, you might check its errors too. The address is usually 192.168.100.1, and the first page shows errors and other tabs show run time.

Having errors, especially corrected errors, on all tuners would not explain your original statement of a bad tuner. Also, if the errors are static (not moving) it might be worth the time to see if you are causing the errors or they are from outside. A television, router, smart phone, microwave and such devices can cause errors. I once trashed a Vizio TV because it was causing my cable modem to disconnect. In one way you are lucky. A basic Roamio or Bolt don't display RS Corrected errors. Best of luck.

7. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Adding to Joe's response: Aside from troubleshooting what caused those errors you are seeing (and if they are static it may have only been a one-time event or some anomaly that has since been rectified), bear in mind that AIUI as long as there are no or only minimal uncorrected RS errors, your signal should not be visibly affected.