Xfinity VOD - Show your appreciation with your wallets!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gweempose, Apr 2, 2014.

1. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

Now that Xfinity VOD is available on my TiVo, I feel compelled to choose this option over other options if the movie/TV show I want to rent is available. It's my way of saying to Comcast, "Thanks!. You made the right call". In my eyes, the more we use the service, the more likely Comcast will be to play ball with TiVo in the future. Does anyone else feel this way?

2. jjd416

jjd416 Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I somewhat feel the same way. I would chose Comcast over Amazon, but Comcast is always at least $1.00 more, plus Comcast has to charge taxes too.

3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I would choose whatever way is cheaper. I don't reward companies that overcharge me for a product or service. Now if the price between Comcast rental and the competitors was the same, then sure I'd probably go with Comcast.

4. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I definitely agree with you guys that you shouldn't pay more. I guess what I meant to say was that, all things being equal, I would rather give Comcast the business than Amazon, Vudu, Apple, etc ...

5. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...

Advertisements

Comcast also transmits over a crappy QAM channel in over-compressed MPEG-2, whereas VUDU HDX rentals are using an advanced MPEG-4 format that is equivalent to blu-ray. I wouldn't miss VOD if it disappeared tomorrow. It's a business decision for Comcast. If they see enough of a take rate, which they obviously did in the initial markets, then they roll out more VOD. With the margins on VOD being pretty high, it doesn't take a large take rate to make it pay back pretty quickly.

6. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I haven't tried renting anything yet, as I'm still trying out the free shows.

If you rent a show, how long do you have to watch it? Or does it start playing immediately?

7. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I think it's a 24-hour rental.

8. jayerndl

jayerndl Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Central Florida
    I looked a a few VOD tv shows and they didn't have DD 5.1 sound even though they did when played live or recorded on the Tivo. Are there any shows with 5.1 sound on Xfinity VOD?

9. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The only two shows I have watched so far have been Cosmos and Game of Thrones. They were both in DD 5.1.