XFINITY VOD etc

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by WVZR1, Mar 6, 2019.

1. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I moved to Layer3TV by -T--Mobile® many months ago and I either need to likely stay with L3TV and sell my 'ALL IN' TiVos or maybe the convenience of the TiVo and always available to play recorded content needs to be considered. I've seen comments that maybe the Xfinity PQ is improved. I truthfully don't see it on neighbor's boxes but then again a person needs to take into consideration their display settings etc. L3TV has given me the PQ I expected, VOD and TVE (TV everywhere) works usually very well and the MENU is pretty maneuverable. Pricing is certainly less than or near the Dish/DirecTV options and much better PQ.. The 1TB DVR of course won't function w/o an Internet connection. Support is generally outstanding. Issues? Of course but seem minimal and likely to improve.

Xfinity pesters me regularly with a 'would like to see you back'. Never had a discussion regarding pricing! One of the issues I had with Xfinity before I left was the VOD issues. Are all of the VOD options available on a ROKU device rather than relying on the TiVo CC menu. If all VOD and PLAY NOW was available for a ROKU device I could maybe tolerate Xfinity.

I've many 'All IN' devices that either need to go or maybe I need to consider the always available to play function and the CC.

I'm quite pleased with PQ on my 64" Plasma display and I've actually not connected yet(space issue) a 65" 2160 display.

I'm tempted to pick up a CC and run them 'side by side' again for a month or 2. Is Xfinity worth the considerations?

I saw a user getting what I thought 'beaten up' for his sales considerations in a 'SELLER' sub-forum. People need to consider sometimes that being 'very or somewhat rural' the resale options aren't as diversified as maybe some areas. CraigsList and a 'very rural' location sometimes works very well!

I've a 2 tuner Premiere, a 2XL and a 4XL that need to go and maybe a 6 tuner Roamio (3TB) and a A9200 & A9300 if I stay with L3TV.

Thoughts?

2. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Sounds like you're pretty satisfied with Layer3 TV. What would be your motivation to switch back to Comcast TV with TiVo for recordings and Roku for VOD? Would you save money? Would you make use of the expanded storage space on your TiVos vs. the 1TB on your L3TV DVR?

Another thing to consider is what the future of Layer3 TV might be. There's a LOT up in the air right now with regard to T-Mobile's future. They're hoping to merge with Sprint and they also hope to use the assets of their Layer3 TV acquisition to form the foundation of a new T-Mobile TV nationwide streaming TV service that could run not only over their combined 4G/5G wireless network but also over any other wired or wireless broadband connection. Would the existing Layer3 TV get absorbed into that new service somehow? Would your channel line-up, features and pricing change? It might not hurt to hold onto your old TiVos with lifetime for the next several months until you know more about whether Layer3 TV is something you're going to want to stick with (or if it will even continue to exist) long-term.

3. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
  4. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

I'm 'rural' enough that I doubt I'd see 5G in my lifetime. 4G Xfininity, AT&T, T-Mobile Sprint or otherwise is 1 or 2 bar experience 'outside' and 'never/very seldom' indoors. T-Mobile currently is a 'no service' unless you visit a hill top 2 1/2 miles up the road!

I would likely be able to save $$$ - I stream only NEFLIX so the ROKU is here. Save enough to make it worthwhile if the PQ is really an issue! I imght not be willing to give that up.

Regarding the 'BETA' I attempted that before leaving Xfinity as a TEST and I had to add the HD FEE to my billing for other than SD content. If that's the only option for streaming VOD then it makes it certainly less attractive.

I was hoping that it had changed or there was newer ROKU streaming that only require the Xfinity 'login' credentials. Maybe there ain't.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  5. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Comcast isn't consistent with regards to that HD Technology Fee. My understanding is that, at least in some areas, their newer TV packages automatically include HD service, so it's not broken out as a separate line item. So if you went back to Comcast, it's possible that whatever level of TV service you got would have HD included and therefore all your content would show up in HD inside their Roku app. You'd just have to ask Comcast about that if you were to sign back up with them.

But another thing to keep in mind is that, as long as their Roku app remains in beta, there's no charge to use it. But once it ever exits beta, they've indicated that they MIGHT charge customers to use it unless it's the ONLY TV-connected device accessing their service. So if you got a CableCARD from Comcast for your TV, that would count as your first device, and you might get charged another $7.50 to use the Roku app ($10 charge for a second outlet minus $2.50 for using your own equipment). Comcast stated a long time ago that was their intention but who knows. That Roku app has been in beta status forever now.

As for the future T-Mobile TV service, they've stated that it will be available over any broadband connection, so you would be able to use it over the same internet service you're currently using with Layer3 TV. But the point I was making is that maybe once T-Mobile TV launches, it MIGHT replace Layer3 TV and you may not like it as well (or, on the other hand, you may like it better, or T-Mobile may decide to operate both services indefinitely). Who knows.

6. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

I tried the 'BETA' being only interested in trying to determine myself if maybe the 'streaming' of content from lets say NBC Sports, ESPN and others provided a better PQ experience. At that time I had Xfinity CC and only received a I think 480P (or similar) resolution stream. I asked Xfinity and was told I needed to add the HD For it to work at better resolution. I paid the FEE for one month and it worked. Using my Roku 'Ultra' if I choose a network or whatever I'm generally presented with the option of picking a provider for 'login'. I was hoping perhaps that this had been expanded to Xfinity subscribers and it might stream a presentable resolution.

For Xfinity CC service I was never presented with a FEE.

7. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    They don't charge a fee for your first CableCARD but if you added a second CableCARD or an Xfinity cable box to your account, then you would be charged for that second device. Likewise, in the future, if you had a CableCARD and also used the Xfinity Stream app for Roku, you might be charged for the app.

8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Right the Roku app follows similar rules as a Comcast device and as you found required the HD technology fee which is not required for TiVo in many Comcast areas to receive HD content.

Scott

9. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    No. It sounds like you're happy with Layer3, and for good reason. Their HEVC encoding is industry-leading, while Comcast was at the bottom of the pack with bit-starved H.264 until Frontier (ex-U-Verse) managed to offer even worse video quality.