Xfinity VOD app

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVo_Ted, May 22, 2019.

1. May 22, 2019 #1 of 499
    TiVo_Ted

TiVo_Ted Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    Starting a new thread on TiVo support for Comcast Xfinity customers.

First, nationwide support for Comcast linear TV services is not changing. Comcast and TiVo still support our mutual customers accessing the full Xfinity live TV service on TiVo DVR's with the use of a CableCARD decoder provided by Comcast.

What is changing is that Comcast and TiVo are announcing the end of support for the current Xfinity VOD application. The reason behind this is that the servers which are supporting this VOD application are running on an older operating system which has passed end-of-support.

Those of you that have used the Xfinity VOD application on TiVo have probably noticed that it is quite dated by now. This is because the VOD application was written on top of TiVo's old HME architecture which we no longer use now that HTML5 has taken off.

TiVo and Comcast are actively working together on a plan to bring a more modern Xfinity application to TiVo customers. I can't give you any more details on that now, but stay tuned. In the meantime, there are several other applications on TiVo that may fill the gap in the interim.

2. May 22, 2019 #2 of 499
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    I'm wondering if this new app will just be the same Xfinity Stream app that they have on Roku and Samsung smart TVs and which Comcast has said will spread to additional platforms in 2019. That seems to be Comcast's entire app strategy going forward and the only means by which they plan to allow third-party devices to access their services. Although if TiVo insisted on it, I suppose Comcast might make a "truncated" version of the Stream app just for TiVo that doesn't contains live streaming channels or cloud DVR features, just VOD...

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. May 22, 2019 #3 of 499
    jcddc

jcddc Member

Sep 20, 2006
    I’m glad to hear than an updated app is in the works. When I upgraded to Verizon FiOS internet last year, I kept Comcast cable in part because TiVo supported Comcast VOD. I will now wait for the app before I consider switching to FiOS tv. I appreciate TiVo working on the update.

Ceciliachavez75 likes this.
  4. May 22, 2019 #4 of 499
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    So is the Xfinity VOD app being pulled or just not supported?

Basically when will it stop working? Also will TE3 be supported in the future or just TE4?

5. May 22, 2019 #5 of 499
    NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Based on the letter this guy got today, it sounds like the entire app will disappear (or completely stop working) across all TiVos on June 25.

pldoolittle, jfalkingham and morac like this.
  6. May 22, 2019 #6 of 499
    reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Appreciate the update, but not so much the news.

Never liked the no FF capability in Xfinity VOD. I found my usage of the Tivo Xfinity VOD app is/was mostly when shows are preempted due to weather, or other local news events where they just can't wait to tell you until after prime time. Hoping that a future solution runs on TE3.

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. May 22, 2019 #7 of 499
    NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Comcast and their NBCUniversal division will next year roll out a new ad-supported subscription streaming service that features some new exclusive original shows plus back seasons of certain NBCU series such as The Office. Comcast will throw it in for free to all of their cable TV subscribers. I'm sure it will have its own branded app for cord-cutters who subscribe to it as a standalone service but, for Comcast cable TV subs, perhaps this new service's content will just get subsumed within the VOD library on Comcast X1 boxes and the Xfinity Stream app.

All that to say, maybe the forthcoming Comcast app for TiVo will give TiVo users a way to access that new service without having to switch to a Roku, Apple TV, etc.

8. May 22, 2019 #8 of 499
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    So is this just a matter of the way TiVo controls the QAM-based VOD, or is QAM-based VOD going away entirely on Comcast in favor of IP-VOD that most of their boxes (X1) already use? Is the new app on TiVo going to be able to use the more modern IP-VOD system?

9. May 22, 2019 #9 of 499
    schatham

schatham Active Member

Mar 17, 2007
    This stinks. All the shows no longer on I like to watch now and again like Sopranos, I will have to switch to roku.

Maybe this is why the one passes no longer work for on demand.

10. May 22, 2019 #10 of 499
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    My educated guess would be the later as that’s how the Roku and Samsung TV apps work and Comcast is already trying to get rid of legacy boxes so why would they have a third party implementing a new app use a system they are trying to retire. My understanding is that the IP system doesn’t count towards your Internet cap (if you have one), but it does require Xfinity Internet.

Speaking of the Roku app, I hadn’t looked at it for awhile since Comcast was charging extra for HD. They stopped doing so when I last negotiated a contract rate in December, but I still didn’t use it.

I just checked it out and was surprised how full featured it is now. They added On Demand, cloud DVR (even for customers without X1 boxes) and the On Demand picture looks better than what I get through the Tivo (both live and on demand) as well. Maybe they give more bandwidth to IP than QAM or maybe it’s the hardware?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  11. May 22, 2019 #11 of 499
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I’m pretty sure that broke once the guide data switched to Rovi’s. It’s been a long time since Xfinity showed up anywhere in the guide data. It would be nice if that was added to the new app.

12. May 22, 2019 #12 of 499
    TostitoBandito

TostitoBandito Active Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Mill Creek, WA
    Good riddance, that on-demand app has been garbage and next to useless for years anyways. Especially when you can get most/all of the same content in higher quality and in a better interface in various other streaming apps. Especially movie rentals and whatnot, which was the main reason I ever used it in the past.

Now, can you and Comcast work something out so we can actually use the HBO Go app on our Tivos? That would be nice. It was hypothesized a while back that the on-demand app was the reason they didn't want Tivo customers to have access to it, so now that it's gone maybe they can stop being giant ***holes about it.

13. May 22, 2019 #13 of 499
    filovirus

filovirus Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado
    I didn’t often use Comcast VOD, but it was handy for those channel they refuse to authenticate via Roku/AppleTV apps. Since my comcast bill is $200 per month, I am seriously considering getting my Roamio OTA out of the basement and cutting out TV service all together. Apple TV/Roku seems like a better option going forward.

samsauce29 likes this.
  14. May 22, 2019 #14 of 499
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    comcast would have to deal with timewarner for that.

15. May 23, 2019 #15 of 499
    TostitoBandito

TostitoBandito Active Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Mill Creek, WA
    Why would HBO/Time Warner have any stake in it? I can already access HBO Go on every other device I have. It's just the Tivo which Comcast specifically forbids, since you get an error saying as much if you try to activate HBO Go on a Tivo with Comcast as your provider of HBO access. If you have any other cable provider it works, so it can't be any concern with Tivo like copy protection or anything like that. The only reason I can think of why Comcast would have an interest in banning HBO Go on Tivo devices is because Tivo is sort of a competitor and they want to drive you to their own on-demand services for HBO content (which are now going away on Tivo). But other cable companies don't do this, so I don't get it. It makes no sense.

BoomersRock and fenwic like this.
  16. May 23, 2019 #16 of 499
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Bummer but not a huge loss. I didn't make that much use of it anyway.

I mainly only used it when there were free HBO previews to watch some of their content like Westworld. The rest of the time, I don't even launch it. I sure as heck don't plan on paying for an content thru that app and never have.

17. May 23, 2019 #17 of 499
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Can someone tell me how this will affect me since I'm not understanding any of this thus far?

The only time I really use Xfinity on demand through TiVo is if I need an episode of a current show. I go to the show listing and then choose "other" (I think, I don't use it that often to remember) and then choose VOD (or sometimes Prime, etc.).

Is this what's affected? If so, I assume I'll still be able to access VOD through Xfinity itself?

Separately, I saw mention recently that Xfinity has some new VOD something coming and it tested our system and said it wouldn't work and we'd need... something new? I didn't think too much about it. Is that related?

18. May 23, 2019 #18 of 499
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    You will not be able to view any VOD content from Xfinity on your TiVo after the app is discontinued.

cwerdna and BoomersRock like this.
  19. May 23, 2019 #19 of 499
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Thank you. I thought it was that simple but my brain couldn't make sense of that through everything else.

BoomersRock and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  20. May 23, 2019 #20 of 499
    pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    Something sounds fishy. If VOD is being removed "because it runs on an old server"......... why not just put it on a new server????? If it is being replaced by something better, that is cool. But not if the existing app is removed BEFORE a replacement is ready.

Sorry, as a paying customer, I am NOT PLEASED. And ESPECIALLY not if it will be replaced by an "ad supported" platform where (I assume) the ads cannot be skipped. That is after all one of the prime reasons we own and pay monthly for a Tivo instead of the Comcast STB. That, and the fact that we don't lose Comcast VOD with the Tivo.

Paul

WGB, fenwic, hershey4 and 3 others like this.