XFinity Share

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by alleybj, Aug 22, 2015.

1. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa

Advertisements

This is the technology that could cause me to quickly upgrade to the bolt – – the ability to stream from one TiVo to another outside of my home. I would settle for only unprotected content. Any chances of this? Is negotiation of the rights prohibitive?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They could do it now using the Stream and an app on the TiVo. They recently got the rights to enable AirPlay and HDMI out on the mobile apps, so I don't think streaming to a TV device would require any additional rights.

I don't think they would do direct streaming as the bandwidth requirements are too high. A typical cable recording is 12-15Mbps, most people don't have enough up stream bandwidth for that.

3. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    Any thoughts as to why they haven't done it yet?

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The ability to use AirPlay/HDMI was only added a couple of weeks ago. TiVo has never been known for their speed.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...

Advertisements

So can we expect a mod to the apps to enable this capability?

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The iOS app already allows AirPlay/HDMI. The Android app allows HDMI on some devices.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Wouldn't be anywhere near as fast, but you could xfer them to your "home" computer, transcode to a more compact format, then push them to the remote TiVo.