Xfinity saying have to have X1 box to add Sports Channel Package

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by heffyj, Sep 18, 2020.

1. heffyj

heffyj New Member

Jun 26, 2017

Advertisements

For the past several years around the start of football season, I have added Comcast's sports entertainment package (NFL Network/Redzone/etc) to my 140+ Channel Digital Starter package without issue. In the last 72 hours I have tried to add (1) using online account management function but get error message; (2) using online chat who says they've added and that I'll get email confirming + channels in a few ours but neither happed; (3) 1800-Comcast phone rep says that package cannot be added to accounts that do not have an X1 box.

I've reached out to twitter/reddit support in hopes of finding someone better able to assist.

Anyone have any experience with this issue?

2. southerndoc

southerndoc TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    That's what I thought would happen. Can't add any services without moving to X1. I foresee being unable to switch TiVo boxes due to inability to transfer CableCARD registration. I hope I'm wrong, but I foresee the CableCARD activation page being taken offline soon.

3. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
  4. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I can say I have Redzone still on my Roamio with Comcast. So it seems maybe you can still get it. I’d call them.

5. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Advertisements

I would imagine that there have been changes to 'THE PACKAGE' that for complete 'feature function' it requires the use of some IP delivery. If already subscribed you'll likely not have full features! For someone HE!! bent on the package you take an X1 for a few months.

There are so many things an X1 Box does 'very well' I would doubt that a serious 'sports person' (I ain't) after experiencing an X1 would return it. Much might depend on the Xfinity service area and if you were close to a 'negotiating phase' of a new contract.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Bigg likes this.
  6. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    I suspect that while it is possible to get the S&E packages added(*), in practice one may not like the results. While selected sports channels may be added in linear QAM, in at least some markets (again, Comcast is different in each market) it has been reported that some/many/most(?) of the TEAM/GAME channels have been moved to IPTV(**), so those who desire access to all of the sports all of the time are going to need an X1 branded solution to get access to all the sports content.

(*) To avoid "I am not getting the channels I am paying for" complaints, the system could very well be set to require the enabling technology (X1) to be on the account, or for individuals to contact Comcast to agree that they will not be getting access to all the channels in the package and they are OK with that.

(**) In theory, having the TEAM/GAME channels moving to IPTV could also imply the quality and variety of available games might be improved for those that watch them.

Bigg, tim1724 and chiguy50 like this.
  7. mazman

mazman Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Alamo, CA
    Couldn't you get the package using the Xfinity app on Roku, etc.?

8. CommunityMember

May 22, 2020
    You could presumably get the content, but the Roku is still only in Beta, so it is not a proper offering at this time. That Comcast needs to decide how to move (and that means price) their existing beta (and pretty much known to exist alternative platform) offerings to full support status is a given, but until they do it is not a real thing (in the world of platforms).

9. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    That app has been labeled "beta" for at least the 27 months I have had Xfinity. I don't think it will ever not say beta.

slowbiscuit likes this.
  10. brimorga

brimorga New Member

Oct 22, 2016
    I just renewed to a new promo 2 weeks ago. I lost the $2.50 credit for supplying my own equipment. Upgrading online, they forced me to take an X-1 DVR. However, I returned it to the store when I got it, never installed it. I had no issue adding the sports package.

I just went into my account online to confirm and it's still there as an option. If you log in and go to your account, there is a section called add/manage premium channels.

When I go into that, at the bottom of the page, it still has the 'more sports and entertainment w/ redzone listed'. Have you tried to go online to your account and add it? (edit: looks like you tried it. I was not able to get the new channels to show up without power cycling my Tivo and it did take a while. It's possible I even re-setup the cable card, can't recall.)

Details of my new package:

X1 STARTER PRO+ DP
    TV Limited Basic
    Internet Blast! Pro+
    $90.00 / mo

[​IMG]$90.00 per month for 12 months.
    [​IMG]X1 STARTER PRO+ DP DOUBLE PLAY INCLUDES EXTRA, HD DVR SERVICE, HD TECHNOLOGY FEE, BLAST! PRO+ INTERNET

Extra
    Included
    CABLECARD
    Included

Equipment & Services

TV Box
    Cancelled

CABLECARD
    Cancelled

11. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    They probably added everything in HD, whereas before some weren't available in HD, and now most/all of the HD feeds for those packages are probably IPTV only via X1. That way, they don't have a bunch of niche stuff sucking up QAM bandwidth. For sports, they probably have a couple of the popular channels like RedZone on QAM, and the more obscure ones on IPTV.

12. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    I hope it doesn't, knowing Comcast once it comes out of "beta" they'll start charging an outlet fee for it.

13. CommunityMember

May 22, 2020
    While a lot of time has elapsed between the initial beta and now, and Comcast has changed their fee structure at least a few times (simplifying some of the structure), charging per "screen" was exactly what a Comcast representative stated was the plan when the Roku (and Samsung) apps came out of beta. And while most hope that that specific plan has changed over those many months (free would obviously be better), I think what some are annoyed at is that those people who want to use other streaming platforms (Android TV, Apple TV, LG TV's, etc.) have seen their apps totally held hostage to Comcast's inability to decide on a pricing model (free, or whatever). Release the damn apps!

14. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Per screen? Per stream? What about tablets and smartphones? It seems like they're trying to force an archaic digital cable box business model on to modern technology like streaming and VOD. Or they figure if they accelerate cord cutting a little bit more, who cares, their future is broadband anyway.

15. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    I just got of the phone with Comcast with a similar situation. I've had the $10 sports package for a couple years (mainly for RedZone) and last month changed my internet portion of my bundle to go from 200 to 300 megabit. Was supposed to have NO changes to the TV part of the package. Well, since it's a new bundle with new name, the sports pack now requires streaming or X1 and will not work no matter what with cable cards. What the hell?

For now those channels still work on my Roku Xfinity Stream app, but I bet it's just a glitch that will kill those at kickoff tomorrow or something. This sucks. So now, unless the Roku streams work uninterupted, I'm going to have to pay more to rent 1 X1 cable box to get all the channels on that one and then "most" of my channels on the TiVos.

I'm gonna miss TiVo in a year or two I think.

16. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't think it's any glitch; you should be able to continue to rely on the Xfinity Stream app on the Roku as a source for the channels in the More Sports and Entertainment pack. I don't foresee Comcast curtailing the app's functionality (quite the opposite, in fact), although they might well start to impose a small monthly fee for it on the Roku as an "additional digital outlet" at some point in time.

17. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    Well, I went to the local Xfinity store to first try without the X1 box. No go. Grabbed on for the $5 monthly fee and they set it as the primary tv device and cable card as secondary. Set up the X1 and all channels (RedZone, NFL network, HBO, etc) at the moment are showing on the X1, all TiVo boxes, and the Roku Xfinity Stream app. Hope it all stays that way!

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That makes it sound like a simple policy issue, rather than Comcast having moved some subset of the sports channels to IP-only. As a mid-week test, it might be worth returning the X1 box to the office and seeing what effect it has on your TiVo's reception.

19. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Just be aware that you might very well be subject to a $9.95 "additional digital outlet" fee on top of the $5 STB rental since the CableCARD now counts as the second device on your account.

20. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    There certainly could be some lag. I had them fix something with my account on Tuesday and then all of the sudden on Friday night I lost ALL channels on my TiVo. They said it was all because of the cable card w/o X1 box and that sports pack. We'll see.

krkaufman likes this.