Xfinity OnDemand XOD Alternatives?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JimAV, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Jun 6, 2019 #1 of 105
    JimAV

JimAV New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    In addition to ending support for your ondemand programming on my TiVo. Comcast is also continuing to not support: HBOGO which is available to TiVo users on with other Cable Co's.
    Is that accurate?

In addition: I can subscribe to a number of premium channels like HBO Showtime Starz and many many more via the Amazon App right on my TiVo. See: Amazon Channels

So why wouldn't I just do that? Keep my TiVo, subscribe to the Premium channels I want to pay for and pickup most everything else via Amazon, Netflix, Hulu etc.

Something to think about, I guess. Wouldn't it be nice if millions TiVo Owners all start calling Xfinity and cancelling their Premium Channel Subscriptions between now and June 25, 2019

What Is Amazon Channels and Is it Worth It?

2. Jun 6, 2019 #2 of 105
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Comcast has never allowed their customers to use the HBO Go app on TiVo. I've recently read on this forum that they *may* be looking into changing that decision soon but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

And, yes, you can add premium channel subscriptions to your Prime Video subscription and access all the content on-demand in the Prime Video app. Same is true for Hulu, although unfortunately the Hulu app on TiVo is an older version that doesn't support premium add-ons. (Actually, the old version Hulu app on TiVo *might* support their very first add-on, Showtime, but definitely doesn't support any of the others.)

JimAV likes this.
  3. Jun 6, 2019 #3 of 105
    giomania

giomania Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dont forget...accessing anything over the Internet counts against the data cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Jun 6, 2019 #4 of 105
    JimAV

JimAV New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I don’t have a data cap, as far as I know. I’ll check

I also have FIOS my in my Garage!

Move the CoAX swap the cable card...

Easy peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jun 6, 2019 #5 of 105
    KevTech

KevTech Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Not all states have the cap.
    Only the states on this list.

Annotation 2019-06-06 143126.jpg

giomania and JimAV like this.
  6. Jun 6, 2019 #6 of 105
    NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    If you have Verizon FiOS available at your address, and you want to keep using TiVos for the long-term, then you should definitely check out FiOS TV + Internet. From what I've read, I tend to think it will be an overall better experience for the same or less money.

7. Jun 7, 2019 #7 of 105
    chiguy50

chiguy50 Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    It is accurate as concerns TiVo (pending possible future development). However, you can access HBO GO through your Comcast subscription on other devices, such as a PC, tablet, smart phone or Roku.

That is certainly a viable option. Some potential drawbacks are:

1. You can often get discounted pricing or "customer courtesy" freebies from Comcast on the premium channels (although that has gotten much harder to do this year with HBO). I myself had both HBO (and SHO) with Comcast for no more than $1.00 p.m. for about four or five years before I started getting charged the full $15 a couple of months ago. And I currently have a steeply discounted bundle for HSI + Digital Preferred TV that includes Starz.

2. AFAIK, with Amazon channels you are locked in by the month. With Comcast, you can start and stop your premiums any time you wish (either on-line or via phone) and will only be charged pro rata for the days of service.

8. Jun 7, 2019 #8 of 105
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    The issue is some of us have premiums as part of a package, so Amazon is not worth the extra cost. The best solution is a Roku and either HBO go or the Comcast app. The app will get you all the channels on demand, not just premiums.

I can switch over to Roku faster than the amazon app takes to load on Tivo.

I went to Xfinity to see how much another box would be and they want $10 plus another $10 for HD fee to add a box. They have adapters for 50 cents but they won't do on demand.

9. Jun 7, 2019 #9 of 105
    NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    This is neither here nor there, I guess, but I'm betting that the existing HBO Go and HBO Now apps will die later this year or early next year, replaced by the new HBO Max app (or whatever the name of the HBO-based WarnerMedia SVOD is). Like the Starz app, which is a unified app for all Starz subscribers, whether they get it through a traditional cable/sat operator or as a standalone streaming service, I think this new HBO Max app will be for everyone. They'll probably make it so that all the existing active logins for both HBO Go and HBO Now transfer over and (hopefully) seamlessly work in the new app.

Rumor published in the WSJ yesterday says that the new service will combine HBO, Cinemax, plus Warner's other sources of current and past non-sports/non-news content, including TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, CNN (docs and docuseries), DC Universe, etc. All for $16-17/mo, barely more than HBO by itself currently costs. This is going to be their "all-hands-on-deck" effort to create a Netflix killer.

I had been predicting that it would combine HBO and Cinemax since I heard the leaked tentative name of HBO Max awhile back. Sounds pretty great. I might have to keep this one year-round.

mschnebly, PSU_Sudzi and wmcbrine like this.
  10. Jun 7, 2019 #10 of 105
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Misanthrope

Aug 2, 2003
    Basically, they scrap the cap in areas where they have to compete with Fios.

Otherwise, I think you can buy your way out of the cap for +$50/mo. (?)

NashGuy and CloudAtlas like this.
  11. Jun 8, 2019 #11 of 105
    timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    I'm using the Beta Xfinity Stream App on my Samsung Smart TV. Works well

12. Jun 9, 2019 #12 of 105
    smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The Xfinity Stream app doesn't count against your data cap. If you have Comcast, you should use that.

giomania likes this.
  13. Jun 9, 2019 #13 of 105
    chiguy50

chiguy50 Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I just bought and installed a Roku Ultra (my very first Roku device) primarily in order to access XoD on the TV (as opposed to my PC, phones and tablets, where it is already accessible but cannot be cast to the TV). I figured I might as well have a Roku on hand to prepare for the impending full implementation of Xfinity's IPTV service. So far, I'm finding it handy but have a lot more customization and experimentation to do.

I've always been curious to try out Roku anyway since their devices seem to be very popular, but the degree of streaming redundancy I've opted for is pretty insane right now. Between my Sony Z9D "smart" TV, Nvidia Shield, Fire TV 4K stick, TiVo Roamio Pro, Sony multi-region BDP-S5200, Google ChromeCast, and others, the variety of sources in my setup is ridiculous. But in reality, I use the Nvidia Shield almost exclusively for any video streaming services on my main TV and the Fire TV 4K on my bedroom TV.

I plan to rely on the Roku just for XoD and HBO Go for now.

14. Jun 9, 2019 #14 of 105
    NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    True. And it's also worth nothing that only a tiny percentage of homes exceed the 1 TB data cap. Unless you're a household that watches all your TV/video via streaming (e.g. you have a streaming cable service like YouTube TV instead of Xfinity TV), your data cap probably isn't something you have to worry about. In other words, if the average HBO subscriber did all of their viewing through the HBO Go app, it's probably not going to get them in trouble with their Comcast data cap.

15. Jun 9, 2019 #15 of 105
    BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I canceled my Xfinity AND my Tivo before June 25th. Great decision!

16. Jun 9, 2019 #16 of 105
    BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I've found the Roku to be my favorite. No need for all the other devices. Virtually everything is available on Roku. The Ultra remote is quite nice, too. We have smart TV's and what not. I found Roku way better than Fire and infinitely better than the smart Tv's (they have too limited apps). We ended up just switching to Roku for everything and since I needed to replace my broken Samsung, I ended up grabbing a TCL Roku TV and adding the Roku speakers (AWESOME). It's a seriously great product. All the apps are updated (unlike Tivo).

17. Jun 9, 2019 #17 of 105
    BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    The data cap is a very real concern. We switched to 100% streaming and will do close to 3TB for the month. Luckily, ATT fiber is available in my area so I dumped Comcast and went with gigabit fiber, which is the level that doesn't have a cap. There is also toast.net which has no data caps and lower speeds. I'm at $70/mo for gigabit (12 months). But yeah, I definitely wouldn't switch to full streaming with a 1TB data cap. On Comcast, it would add an extra $50/mo to the bill for unlimited.

The only reason a tiny percentage exceed 1TB is because only a tiny percentage are streaming TV. That's starting to change, rapidly. Youtube TV is even sponsoring the NBA Finals. These data caps are going to be regulated or something soon enough. It's the last bit of nonsense for Comcast to hold their customers hostage. Their time will come.

giomania and wmcbrine like this.
  18. Jun 9, 2019 #18 of 105
    chiguy50

chiguy50 Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Sadly, there is very much a need for the other devices since no single one does everything or does it well. The Amazon Fire TV 4K does Dolby Vision and Atmos (for Amazon Video streams), the Nvidia Shield has a gigabit ethernet port (among many other advancements) but no Dolby Vision, and the Roku is the most basic of the lot IME. But none of them supports Atmos on the Netflix app:eek:; for that feature you would need still another device, such as the Apple TV 4K.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    giomania likes this.
  19. Jun 10, 2019 #19 of 105
    NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    As I said in the post that you quoted "Unless you're a household that watches all your TV/video via streaming, your data cap probably isn't something you have to worry about." I understand that the situation is different for you, since you use YouTube TV, but the comment I was making was in the context of this thread, which is about Xfinity TV customers who, by definition, are traditional cable TV subscribers, not "streaming cable" subscribers like you. It's not that surprising that data caps are an issue for your household. (But 3 TB? Wow.)

The talk up-thread touched on concern about streaming through the Xfinity Stream app (which doesn't count against your Comcast data cap) versus the HBO Go app (which does count against it). My point is that people who subscribe to Comcast cable TV shouldn't need to worry about how much data they might use in the HBO Go app because they're probably not going to come close to their cap anyway. Honestly, how many hours of HBO does the average subscriber stream in a month? For instance, you'd have to stream 11 hours of Netflix's top-quality 1080p HD video every day to hit 1 TB of usage in a month. And HBO uses a lower bitrate than Netflix, so it would take even more hours of it to add up to that amount. I mean, HBO has a lot of great stuff, but c'mon.

The situation that you're running into with using so much data by going 100% streaming with YouTube TV is a major reason why those OTT streaming cable TV services won't become mainstream for multi-person households (i.e. families) unless the household has access to uncapped broadband (without having to pay extra to remove a cap) OR unless their broadband provider zero-rates the data incurred through the streaming cable TV service that they use. I'm not yet aware of any who do the latter but I can imagine over the next few years some broadband providers deciding to stop operating their own low-margin cable TV services and instead just partnering with a national OTT service like YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, or the forthcoming AT&T streaming cable TV service, and then not counting those streams against your data cap. (This is the sort of scenario that net neutrality activists warned about.)

But unless uncapped broadband or zero-rated OTT partner services more common, then I don't see these OTT cable TV services becoming super-popular. (It's true, though, that Charter does not have data caps and they're the second-largest broadband provider.) They'll continue to steal away some subscribers from traditional cable/satellite/telco TV operators at the margins but, for this and other reasons too, I don't see them becoming huge.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  20. Jun 12, 2019 #20 of 105
    BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Someone needing gigabit and Atmos is in a very small minority. For you, clearly you need a ton of devices. For the majority, it's unnecessary. That was the point I was trying to make. And I'm really not sure what you need gigabit for on a streaming device, but if you are using it, cool.