Xfinity On Demand access problem in SF Bay Area

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by aforkosh, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1 of 34
    aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA

Advertisements

Through Tuesday, I had no problem accessing Xfinity On Demand on my TiVo Premiere in Oakland, CA. Some time before Thursday evening, I seem to have lost access, getting an error box referencing a GSM-2 error (see attached image). Are other people in the Bay Area also seeing this error?

Some reports last month indicated that this error had occurred quite widely around Denver, Colorado and, after much troubleshooting, the resolution was totally internal to Comcast.

Attached Files:

2. Oct 6, 2012 #2 of 34
    debest

debest Where's the remote?

May 24, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I'm getting the same GSM-2 error message here in Portland, OR when trying to access Xfinity On Demand through my TiVo. I also have a regular Xfinity DVR, and the On Demand feature still works fine on it. I haven't noticed any issues with the TiVo XOD feature since it rolled out in the Portland area however, I haven't really used it very much. I first noticed a problem on Friday (10/05) night; I'm getting the same GSM-2 error that you're seeing. It started working fine again for a little bit on Saturday (10/06) morning, but now it's not working again.

3. Oct 6, 2012 #3 of 34
    vpesochi

vpesochi New Member

Oct 6, 2012
    I got the same problem in Pleasanton CA.

Sometimes OnDemand menu shows up and I can see the picture for 2 seconds, other times I get GSM-2 error code with locale code tivocardio-ch2-a2p.comcast.com.

Called Comcast, spent 1.5 hours on the phone finally got a ticket with "the network team" (ticket number CR300226180). Will post when I get a status update."

It looks like this problem is area specific (depends on your Comcast head-end), so fixing in Pleasanton will not fix it in Oakland.

4. Oct 7, 2012 #4 of 34
    aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    As of Saturday evening, I can now get Xfinity on Demand.

5. Oct 7, 2012 #5 of 34
    Mikef5

Mikef5 Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Milpitas,...

Advertisements

Do you have any Premium channels like HBO and is that available in the VOD.

In my case I finally can get into the VOD menu but all my Premium channels say I have to subscribe to them (which I already do, I have everything} and kicks me out.
    Thanks.

Laters,
    Mikef5

6. Oct 7, 2012 #6 of 34
    aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I can view OnDemand for services to which I subscribe (HBO and Showtime). When I tried to access a program on STARZ (to which I do not subscribe), I was told I needed to subscribe.

So everything appears to be working as it should for me.

7. Oct 7, 2012 #7 of 34
    Ceciliachavez75

Ceciliachavez75 Tivo kitten

Dec 23, 2008
    Sonoma, ca
    I am having the same problem, the error and then the channels I subscribe to ( Hbo, show time, cinimax Etc) are saying I do not have the channels. The xfinity box in another room is just fine, so I'm assuming its a tivo box issue.

8. Oct 7, 2012 #8 of 34
    Ceciliachavez75

Ceciliachavez75 Tivo kitten

Dec 23, 2008
    Sonoma, ca
    This is happening to me as we'll. very frustrating.

9. Oct 8, 2012 #9 of 34
    Mikef5

Mikef5 Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Milpitas,...
    My Tivo's are now working as they should. It required a call from a 2nd Tier Tech to finally get it all straightened out. So escalated your call to a 2nd Tier Tech and they should get it resolved for you.

Laters,
    Mikef5

10. jfink22

jfink22 New Member

Jun 11, 2004

What exactly did they say they did? Do you have a ticket number for us to reference?

Thanks...

11. jfink22

jfink22 New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Did you do anything?

12. aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    No, I did not do anything else. I didn't even call Comcast since I didn't really have the time to go through a vacuous troubleshooting session.

13. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    Count me in with the problem as well. I am going to contact Comcast and will report back what the issue is if I find out.

I am in the East Bay in Oakley, CA

14. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    Comcast resent the cable card signal to my card and it started working.

Comcast must have changed some settings on the back end affecting previously paired devices on TiVos and didn't automate the push to customers to fix the issue.

I am happy it is working now though, I use it more and more lately.

15. vpesochi

vpesochi New Member

Oct 6, 2012
    A week later. I restarted TiVo several times after getting GSM-11 error (General Service Message). After reboot I sometimes get CL-14 (Communications Layer) the locale code is tivocardio-ch2-a4p.comcast.com, sometimes no errors but there is no picture either. It either plays first 2-5 seconds or just shows blank screen.

If anyone gets it working in Pleasanton, Dublin or Livermore, please post an update here.

16. alvesd

alvesd New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Xfinity San Jose. GM-11 error is gone, and allows on demand of non premium channels. Premium channels now say I am not subscribed. I am on the line with Tivo who is going to conference in Xfinity.

Will post if any positive update comes out. If someone else knows what needs to be done, please post.

17. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    So is it correct to assume that your three-way chat with Comcast and TiVo was not productive? FWIW, I am also seeing "not subscibed" message.

18. dandrewk

dandrewk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Marin...
    Any update on you folks who tried to resolve this issue? I'm getting the same problem - it says I am not subscribed to HBO (etc.) on demand, when in fact I am. I can access all that content fine on my Xfinity iPad app.

I just spent a useless 45 minutes on the phone with Comcast, got elevated to Level 2 and they couldn't figure anything out. I assume I'll need call TiVo next?

19. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    I also have the problem with the bogus "Subscription required" error. So is it the case that some folks here have had success with Tier 2 Comcast giving a kick to the cable cards, and other have just spun their wheels? So one is supposed to go through Comcast support rather than TiVo support?

20. Mikef5

Mikef5 Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Milpitas,...
    I went through a Comcast Tier 2 tech twice before they got it right and so far it's working as it should. From what I could gather from him, it's a problem with their updating the system to all digital ( dropping all the analog channels) and the Tivo's not being properly provisioned after the upgrade.
    Keep bugging them until they get it right, you're paying for something you are not getting.

Laters,
    Mikef5