Xfinity forcing Xfinity Stream on internet customers

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Karyn, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017

Advertisements

I dropped off my Xfinity cable boxes on Sunday morning but the happiness only lasted until I tried to use my phone and it didn't work. I'll spare you all the fluff on that...typical Comcast nonsense. I pulled them up on chat to report my phone down and it launched a chat that lasted through 11 representatives and 32 ¾ hours (with a break of 6 hours in between to work).

Instead of returning the cost of my service to $70.43 per month for 100 Mbps, unlimited voice, Connect app with voice2go (text & talk..."Sim card simulator") as it was prior to adding trial TV they dropped did the following:

Old speed......... 100 Mbps
    New speed......... 25 Mbps
    Old phone.... fully featured
    New phone....... incoming and local out only
    Connect gone
    Text gone
    Voice 2 go gone

Old cost including tax... $ 70.43
    New cost including tax...$134.94

REASON:. "you HAVE to have our new Xfinity Streaming service which doesn't require a STB" and "there are fees mandated by our government to bring broadcasting to your home that we are required to collect".

I was like a broken record telling them "I want internet and phone, please", "I want just internet and phone, please", "please sign me up for your internet and phone please" and variations. I'd post whole chat but they deleted it when I mentioned that I was contacting the FCC. o_O:rolleyes:

It went on from 6:00 pm Sunday until 2:45 am this morning with a 6 hour break to go to work. That's 32 ¾ hours (and yes, if you've not noticed I CAN talk/chat that long).

They refuse to provide internet without streaming. That company is just nuts but I doubt I need to tell anyone that.

I'll miss the Xfinity hotspots a lot BUT fact is since Xfinity started selling cellular service they've not worked.

So.....WOW! at 500 (max...can only guarantee 80 - 100 right now) Mbps, unlimited phone and DOCSIS 3.1 Gateway, inside wire maintenance, taxes, etc., is $76.49 for 24 months and gets installed Thursday morning at 8:00 am. Oh... phones will go into outlets, not creepy telephony on the living room floor set up. The ARE charging $25 to install to the wall outlets instead of on the gateway.

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yet another useless, non-Tivo rant. Go complain at forums.xfinity.com.

eherberg, CaseyJ and tim1724 like this.
  3. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    I believe you can take advantage of the member blocking feature, slow biscuit.

The thread is about Xfinity's stream feature and is addressed to the Roamio OTA community.

Please feel free to block me!

Have a beautiful week! :)

4. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I think the problem is that just because you have a Roamio doesn't mean every post needs to go to the Roamio sub-forum. Comcast (and other) rants are fine, if that's how you want to spend your time -- but belong in the 'Happy Hour' portion of the board where other non-TiVo topics go (and where long-time users of the forum would expect to find them). The Roamio has other cable users as well (and probably more than OTA) and I don't imagine they would expect to see an off-topic post here with such regularity. A mod could certainly be consulted, if unsure.

5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Advertisements

I'll bet I've swapped 25 clients to TiVo and Comcast internet (usually with Google Voice for phone) in the last year. I'm doing another one tomorrow.

I've NEVER had any of the troubles you're describing.

As I said in another post, maybe you should consider having somebody handle all this for you?

-KP

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Completely non-tivo related.

So if you get $55/month discount why not just "have" xfinity stream (whatever that is) and not use it?!!??

I did that for triple play at one point in the past.. (actually, since I never got their modem that I didn't need, for the phone part I wouldn't use, at some point it just went away but I still had the same price for the rest of the stuff until the contract ended).

7. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    I appreciate your feedback. You certainly weren't nasty but constructive...thank you.

The reason I even put the posts here was I had the idea, thinking a bit out of the proverbial box, that those going OTA might face the same or similar challenges that I have in my escape from cable. The provider referenced actually seems to take quite personally the choice to leave and got what feels vindictive. I didn't plan very well as I didn't think it was a big deal and now I'm stuck creeping along at 18 Mbps until a new provider installs internet.

I guess it's simplest just to post two sentences to that effect but I rarely make negative reference without specifics.

In any event, again, I appreciate your being kind about it. I think perhaps my experience of little to no benefit here but I have learned much FROM the forum...wish I could give back but it doesn't seem to be the case.

~Karyn

8. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    My TiVo is all set, KP, and I'm quite happy!

The problem came in when I took my boxes back to Xfinity's store. Took a long while to unravel what happened but it seems the representative at the store took a commission by activating an unauthorized change in service on my account. That just plain wasn't foreseeable by anyone, not even Xfinity themselves who were calling all day trying to get to the root of things. I guess it happens. I just noticed as I was off to purchase my own gateway and checked my account.

I NEVER had issues with Xfinity internet or phone before...it was their TV and billing with triple play I so detested. I didn't want to leave their internet or phone...just clean up the mess installation and ditch the TV. I LIKED their Connect feature. I couldn't understand the benefit of getting rid of it when Google Voice got brought up except that the mess on the living room floor might disappear. I decided to stay with Xfinity Internet & Voice. Was perfectly happy except for the hot spot issue WHICH they were giving me free Sim card service for three months ($12 thereafter) to alleviate.

Thanks to their store messing up my account things can't get resolved in a timely manner.

Oh well.

9. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017