Xfinity eliminating all TiVos

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Garry Hansen, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Garry Hansen

Garry Hansen New Member

Nov 12, 2020

Advertisements

Just moved to a co-op in Naples Florida and could not get the required cable card from Comcast Xfinity as this community is now all EPON TV and internet and it cannot support cable cards which means all TiVos are rendered useless (other than watching what you recorded in your old address). Filed FCC complaint because thought cable providers could not force you to use their equipment and received a nice call from their government compliance person who said it is what it is and they will never give this community a cable card again. TIVO needs to address this by either forcing Comcast Xfinity to create a workaround (like the old tuning adapters Cablevision Optimum required)or TIVO needs to create a workaround. TIVO saying they would be happy to sell me a Roku type stick instead is not the answer. The Xfinity X1 box I am forced to use is works like a TIVO 1.0 from a hundred years ago (slow with few features and very unpredictable). This will destroy TIVO if it spreads nationwide and it is not addressed.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The FCC mandate to support CableCARDs is no more thanks to decisions by the current FCC administrator.
    The answer is that if a local cable company decides to no longer support CableCARD you need to move to another company that does.
    If you don't have another provider available that shows the problem with monopolies in markets.

Is Buying A TiVo A Safe Purchase With The Cable Card FCC Mandate Gone?

krkaufman likes this.
  3. Garry Hansen

Garry Hansen New Member

Nov 12, 2020
    Understood that the FCC mandate for cable cards was eliminated Sept 2020 BUT does anyone know if a previous mandate that cable companies “cannot force you to use their equipment” is still in effect? Even if Comcast Xfinity gives you the box that works on EPON at no charge that means your bill could be lower without their box. So, are they allowed to force you to use their equipment like in the old days?

4. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Not a lawyer but I think the use of EPON fiber places them in the exception-zone with Dish and DirecTV regarding cablecards/customer owned equipment. Only reason VZW/Frontier offers it on their FiOs TV is because they use RFoG, so it's basically QAM cable anyway.

UCLABB likes this.
  5. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN

Advertisements

Xfinity Fiber-Only Network Now in Your Area

As Comcast reports, there are currently no non-Comcast devices available, neither modem nor TV box. Maybe in the future...

cwerdna likes this.
  6. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    One could always use the Xfinity Stream app on Roku with cloud DVR without using their box, correct?

7. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Send a message to Biden's pager (or call his bag phone) so he can escalate your complaint. ;)

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Well, I was going to make a more serious suggestion to wait for the new administration and then send a request to the FCC to reinstate the cable card requirement(*).

(*) I'm actually against government mandates in most cases, but IF we're going to give them a government sanctioned monopoly, THEN having requirements is reasonable.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    TIL. Seems like they're pretty customer unfriendly w/this new technology. :(

10. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    We lucked out with Comcast's RFoG in our community. Still keeping fingers crossed though. Ours hasn't been lit quite yet.

11. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I’m trying to get a new promotion with Xfinity and they are telling me cableCard equipment is not eligible for promotions and that I’d need a new box from them and would have to return the cards.

Edit: the retention teams could get me a promo, but the web site and Twitter team could not.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  12. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I know this is overly ???? but you'd think all these cable companies would try and make it easy for users to use their services no matter what equipment - instead they are driving customers away with "cord cutters" - but then again who know why companies do what they do

13. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    They have no incentive to support CableCARDs when they can make more renting cable boxes and DVRs

14. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This is what our condo building has. So luckily for me, all my TiVo equipment works fine. And it's a ****load of TiVos: two Roamios, four Minis.

Also, we get blazing fast Internet, usually in the 600-800 range (quick look on Google Home app: 805 Mbps).

15. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Plus not having to deal with owners TiVos that often have problems, pairing TAs, etc.

16. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Yes but how many have they driven away to things such as YOUTUBE TV, etc. So they have lost them as total customers - which is what I meant.

randyb359 likes this.
  17. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    The number of retail-box cablecards is likely such a low blip on the overall numbers that they don't factor in any kind of impact on overall total customer numbers - yet certainly have a disproportionate impact on costs for the amount of customer service they need.

18. rjrsouthwest

rjrsouthwest Active Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Just changed my Comcast plan here in Tucson and they gave me a $60 a month plan that includes basic cable, 100 mbps internet, cable card for my Tivo Vox, HD cable box for the bedroom and the HD fee.