Xfinity dropping linear HD channels?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Davelnlr_, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Over the weekend, my kid lost several Nick channels in the 1700 HD range.
    They are still available in SD on the lower channels. They are also still available in HD using the Xfinity stream app using the old channel numbers.
    Is Xfinity dropping linear HD channels and moving them to X1 IP streaming channels? If so, the Tivo will be next to useless soon.

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Not sure how many they have dropped but I definitely know there are new ones that have been added that are IP only like Fox Sports 2 and Hallmark Drama, I'm sure there are a lot more.

3. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    First, you DO realize that NOT all of the channels in the 1000+ range, are in fact HD? Those particular channels you're speaking of, have ALWAYS (unfortunately) been in SD, & all those same channels are simply duplicate #'s, of those same ones in the 2-3 digit legacy range, as part of Xfinity's standardized MCLU that's been around for 5+ years: (note below how they explain how HD & SD channels are handled in this lineup!)
    New Channel Lineup Frequently Asked Questions – Xfinity
    They ARE actually there in HD, because Xfinity just recently added them in HD, but ONLY in IP/X1 only...hence why you ARE getting them on the stream (& Roku) platforms, as well as on all X1 boxes.

Unfortunately, when Xfinity adds these HD IP-only feeds, they are now (supposed to anyway) remove those duplicate 1000+ channel listing on all legacy TV boxes, including DTA's & cablecards - which obviously include Tivo's - presumably to avoid the confusion of having some boxes showing those 1000+ channels in SD & others in HD; this way, the ONLY people that actually can view those 1000+ IP-only feeds, ARE the ones with IP/X1 equipment. The issue happening now is...Comcast does seem to be doing this consistently on all their own boxes - but NOT on CC devices! Hence that Tivo's are now having channels appear in the 1000+ range, where it was previously SD-QAM, but now that that same ch# is now IP-only HD, & when you try to tune to them, you get nothing!
    You still have the (SD) versions of all these channels on your Tivo's, but now you'll have to view them down on their legacy channel positions.

Been talked about here & other boards ad nausea; right now it's more that any newly added HD channels (& even some new SD channels, actually) are being added ONLY in IP/X1; this offers some info:
    Comcast IP not QAM?
    As far as dropping existing HD channels, again been discussed ad nausea, with lots of people offering lots of opinions...but at this point, there really isn't much that's been nailed down on Xfinity's immediate future...but it's been VERY obvious for some time, it's pretty much most/all an IPTV future.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  4. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    OK Thanks. Just curious why Tivo guide data would show a channel that is not there, no longer there. You would think they would just remove the channel from the lineup. When Xfinity added FS2, in IP only, the Tivo added the new channel which shows no available when I try to tune it.

5. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Because it's COMCAST'S job to actually let Tivo (Rovi) know their lineup(s) have changed - BOTH in channel adds AND deletions; how do you think Tivo's going to know otherwise? And frankly between these new IP-only channels & the fact that Comcast couldn't care less about CC users, it's not the least bit surprising there's errors in Tivo cable lineups across the country.
    No, they did NOT add it in IP-only to the Tivo's; they changed the existing 1000+ channel (1329 actually) to NOW be IP-only...& because Comcast did NOT send the proper (channel removal) change to Rovi & it remains in the Tivo ch lineup, when you now tune to it, that's why you get N/A. (see my edit in my previous post above re: removal of IP-only 1000+ channels on legacy/Tivo equipment...)

6. Apr 7, 2020 #6 of 26
    Collin Groves

Collin Groves New Member

Apr 7, 2020
    Just to add they dropped all Linear SD League Pass, Center Ice and MLB this morning after 15 years.

7. Apr 8, 2020 #7 of 26
    mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    Is it really Comcast's responsibility to send TiVo the channel lineup every time it changes? Who else are they supposed to notify?

8. Apr 8, 2020 #8 of 26
    compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    They technically need to update guide data providers

dishrich likes this.
  9. Apr 8, 2020 #9 of 26
    mschnebly

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    Others besides the one they use?

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My two pennies. I'm going to assume there is somebody at the networks and the guide providers that handle changes in programming. Sometimes a network makes a change and then they should send a message to all the guide providers (Gracenote, CBS Interactive, and more) that something happened.

Example of a network change: MSNBC, Sunday & Saturday mornings, change their programming two months ago. TiVo fixed the guide in a week.

Example of an unknown problem. Weekdays at 1pm MSNBC has changed their programming. The guide is still wrong after two months.

Example of a TiVo change: MSNBC, on the second Saturday in the guide, has TBA all day for the last two months.

I have sent lineup change requests on all. But it's possible that the guide people at not "essential" and can't do changes from home. But the people who stop encryption on the bunch of channels can work from home. I get more "free" channels almost every day.

Since the use of toilet paper has increased 40% at home, all those butts have eyeballs looking for content.

mschnebly likes this.
  11. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Comcast itself uses Gracenote on ALL it's settop boxes...so how do you think Rovi (ie: Tivo) is going to get this info???

12. mschnebly

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    I just didn't realize that a company like Comcast had a requirement to notify all the others out there. Is that an FCC requirement?

13. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    I would think, since they are charging for the data, they would have someone compare their data to the other companies data? If they don't want to do this, they should just stop charging for guide data, and let customers subscribe to someone elses.

14. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    They still list Starz when the channel is Epix. It's been over 4 months.

15. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    When Rovi bought TiVo and took it's name, weren't there people who told us to give them a chance?

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    We knew this was coming eventually. They've been preparing for this transition for years. Once Comcast drops QAM TiVos are going to drop in value significantly as the market is flooded with Comcast TiVo owners who can no longer use their devices. Maybe I'll be able to get a good deal on a Bolt for my Mom. She's still using a Premiere 4 tuner I gave her, but she's been complaining about how slow it is when trying to watch Netflix.

17. southerndoc

southerndoc TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    I have a feeling when Comcast drops QAM then TiVo will have an IPTV option for Comcast.

18. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I have a feeling given Rovi's incompetence that Tivos will just die when QAM goes away.

dishrich and mazman like this.
  19. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    If Comcast had any interest in making their IPTV platform available to TiVo I'm sure it would have already happened. But they'd much rather collect box rental fees from their customers.

20. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Sadly, I have to agree with this outlook.

I think that statement is a bit cynical in light of Comcast's current "Simple & Easy" fee structure that prices their rental STB's at just $5.00 p.m. regardless of the model--including the top-of-the-line 4K/HDR-capable Xi6. Add to that the fact that (1) CableCARD rental is free and (2) they have upped the Customer Owned Equipment (COE) credit to an identical $5.00, and I think the landscape is pretty even. They will even allow you to install and utilize their Xfinity Stream app on your own streaming device without charge (for now, at least) rather than having to rent one of their devices.

All in all, it seems to me that they are more interested in expanding the range of their video market penetration in this streaming age than they are in raking in rental fees.

dishrich likes this.