Xfinity Contract Expiring

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ellinj, Apr 30, 2020.

1. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    I am coming up on two years at my current apartment and my Xfinity contract is expiring and my bill goes up $50/mo. Any suggestions on the best way to get a better price? I am trying to decide between sticking it out with Xfinity Bundle or dropping to internet only and going to something like YoutubeTV.

2. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    try negotiating towards the end of the month when they're working to reach monthly quotas and bonuses.

WVZR1 likes this.
  3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

The catch to 'EOM' might be that the Xfinity Stores maybe don't/aren't going to have hours. Walk-In I'd think always advisable.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Find someone who can provide you a login to the xfinitywifi on their account and suffer through the 60 days without service and then resubscribe as a 'new user'...

-KP

5. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I've had good results by visiting my local store and asking what they can offer to lower my price. I've never tried it over the phone...only in person at the store.

Previous deal was a two year contract that was ending and price was set to go up about $40 to $50/month. Went in to the store and left with the same price, same channels and Internet was bumped from 250/10 to 1000/25. I was happy.

The rep encouraged me to come in to the store every so often and see what the current "best" deal might be.

WVZR1 likes this.
  6. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    My 2 years is up in June/July. I too have thought about what to do. If I can get $100 internet and $50 YTTV. that woulod save me from whatever increase is coming my way as well as the $60 for tivos/cablecards. of course that would mean no Tivo. I know my brother cant handle the Stream4k and Sling. He has had YTTV before so that is not an issue. I think if I tell Xfinity...keepe where I am or I am gone that would work. Downstairs tenant has Frontier and is happy. No whopping internet speeds though. possibly no qam channels. Seems like Frontier is qam in some places and video over internet in others. These are big decisions!!

7. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    the last time i spoke with customer service they hinted the xfinity stores may be opening the first part of may, but i won't believe it until the doors open.

8. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007

You can do much better on Xfinity. I pay $79 for 2 years Double play 250MPBS and standard digital cable TV. Add in the fees and it's about $100. I add HBO for another $15.

9. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    I do have a card for the "building rep" thinking of calling or emailing and see what he can do.

10. David B Gregory

David B Gregory Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I dropped Xfinity went to Century Link fiber 1G up/dn for $65 mo. OTA with TiVo for ease of use with wife and YTTV for the other stations with unlimited DVR. Save $120/mo and haven’t looked back

11. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    That is much better 5than my price. Plus 3 tivos, 3 cableca4ds showtime app, cbs, and hulu. Other streams are from family

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I've had 2-year double play promos for many years now - when they expire I call 800-COMCAST, select downgrade/cancel option then get the current new customer promo from the retention rep. What I've heard lately with the new Simple and Easy plans is that this no longer works, so YMMV. I'll find out in December when my current plan is up.

Try pricing out a plan pretending you're a new customer (use someone else's address in your neighborhood, use private browser etc.) then get them to honor that plan. In our area it's something like $100 + junk fees/taxes right now to get my Preferred+Blast plan.

kpeters59 likes this.
  13. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    That's good advice.

I would just add that there are no more "bundle" deals under Simple & Easy. Each service is a "pack" and they can be added or removed from your plan, but there is no bundle pricing per se--just the "Always On Discounts" (such as $10 for Autopay and Paperless Billing or the Multi-Product Discount) and the "Promotional Discounts" that will vary from time to time, such as the current $23 or $33 for HSI with a 12- or 24-month agreement.

Below is an excerpt from an internal Comcast presentation given in 2019 which diagrams the S&E discount pricing scheme. At this time, the promotional discounts for HSI service are favoring the higher speed tiers, with Extreme (300Mbps) coming in at the same price of $50 after discounts as Blast! (200Mbps) with a 12-month agreement. Extreme Pro (600Mbps) and Gigabit (1000Mbps) are each an additional $10 (i.e., $60 and $70, respectively) but with a 24-month price-lock guarantee. As always, the Comcast agreement terms entail a pro-rated Early Termination Fee (ETF) which only applies if you terminate all Comcast services on your account.

Simple And Easy Discounts.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  14. ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI
    If you're married, change the service into the opposite spouse's name. I did this with Sprint and got the deal a new subscriber would get. Bit of a hassle, but worth the $$.

15. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    What you do is follow through and cancel, TV only, then in a few days you will see great deals on the web account.

That's how I got my $79 double play. Before they would only offer triple play deals.

16. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Comcast has a 60 day requirement of No Service at the Address before you get New Customer Pricing.

If you try to use your Spouse's name, you'll get an error of 'there is already service at this address'.

That's why I suggested limping along for the required time period and then actually being a new customer 'again'...

I did it last year. It wasn't that bad, but I had no trouble getting xfinitywifi access.

-KP

17. ThreeSoFar'sBro

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI
    So, if I buy a house that had Comcast prior to me, I don't get new customer pricing?

18. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You do you.

#instablock

-KP

19. ThreeSoFar'sBro

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI
    I'm seriously asking a question...wow.

edwinyuen and cherry ghost like this.
  20. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    If your service location falls under the new "Simple & Easy" billing structure, I don't *think* there will be any difference in pricing for new or existing customers. IOW, the service and equipment costs are what they are and any promotions are tied to the former and not to the customer. Aside from occasional incentives such as pre-paid debit cards or similar credits on the account, I am not aware of any offers reserved for new customers.

But if such special offers are out there (in S&E territories), I would love to hear about them.

BTW, you can check this out for yourself by following the advice that @slowbiscuit provided above. You can even use your own address (in a private browser) and identify yourself as a new customer at that pre-existing service location. Or, you can ask a Comcast CSR about "new customer" offers in your area.