Xfinity Channel Changing Speed

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Deuga, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Deuga

Deuga New Member

Jul 5, 2020

Advertisements

Today I got my new Edge for cable running. I switched to Xfinity from Ziply Fiber Fios. I'm new to Xfinity so I was bouncing around the channels seeing what's where. One thing jumped out at me is the channel changing speed feels slow to me. There's a 1 to 2 second pause whenever I change a channel with the Edge DVR. I've gotten used to channel changing being instantaneous with Fios cable.

Is this channel changing speed normal?

2. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The delay could be related to the video resolution of the two channels in question. When there is a different in resolution between channels it can take a second or two for the video to display.

3. Deuga

Deuga New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    I'm seeing a consistent 2 1/2 to 3 second delay to change a wide variety of channels, both HD and SD. It doesn't seem to matter what channel I'm coming from or going to or how I do it. I'd expect this kind of delay, or longer, for a streaming TV service but I've never encountered this in cable TV before.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I would like to make a suggestion. Pick a channel you know is slow, then perform a restart. When it's finished all tuners will be on that channel. Now use the Live TV button to switch tuners. If there is still a long delay, it may be a defective unit. It there is no abnormal delay, I would look at your video settings and pick the one your TV feels it likes. If you receive only normal cable, choose 1080i and 1080p 24/25 (Streaming only). If you watch 4k streaming, that's a different issue. This is settings on my Roamio:
    video_res.JPG
    I have a 4k TV now, so this is from when I had a 2k. This test will eliminate HDMI sync up.

5. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Advertisements

I believe that being 'new' to Xfinity you first need to establish a 'Favorites' selection from your subscription, determine if you're going to use below #1000 Channels or the #1000+ Channels. Once you familiarize yourself with your subscription and make appropriate 'resolution' choices as suggested it will improve dramatically. You might mention if you connect your TiVo direct to TV (mention brand/model) OR if maybe through an AVR. Resolution choice and connection type will dramatically I believe affect 'satisfaction'!

6. Falkor

Falkor Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Echoing what others have said ...

It is most likely the tv changing between 720p and 1080p/i. Set the TiVo automatic or preferred to fix it.

The source signals are not necessarily the same, so “something” needs to upscale/downscale the resolution to match the LCD panel. TVs tend to be slower when switching modes, and that’s the delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Deuga

Deuga New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    I've now had time to play around with the Edge for a few days. This has given me time to begin to appreciate everything it can do. Things Tivo veterans take for granted are a revelation for me. One small example, I was watching basketball this weekend. If you're a sports fan, the entire package of slow motion playback, 8 second rewind, quickmode, fast forward and rewind that aren't too fast when you don't want it too fast is worth the price of the Tivo all by itself. None of these features worked well at all on my old Motorola DVR and quickmode, of course didn't exist.

Regarding the channel changing speed, I've tried all of the suggestions you've given above. Nothing has changed the speed. I've spoken to the Tivo setup tech people a couple times about the time delay of changing channels. After trying a few things with the first one, they suggested I give the Edge a few days and suggested it'll speed up 'after it gets acclimated' (on the surface this sounded ridiculous but I let it ride). I called again late today and this one said that 2 to 3 seconds to change channels is normal for all Tivo DVRs.

Given everything else the Edge can do that my old DVR's could never do, I can live with 2 to 3 second delays in channel changing if that's spec. I'll admit I'm starting to get used to it. I'd just like to know, is 2 to 3 seconds to change channels typical?

8. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Honestly, this is fairly normal. Between tuning, decrypting, and then seeding the live buffer, channel surfing with a Tivo on xfinity will take about 2-3 seconds per channel change, and always has.

Once most people start using the other features of the unit, they stop spending nearly as much time channel surfing, they start living out of My Shows, or switching amongst up to 6 channels (on a six tuner unit) that are all already tuned or independently buffering. For die-hard channel surfers, it is what it is.

slowbiscuit and chiguy50 like this.
  9. Deuga

Deuga New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    Yes, this is what I"m starting to see as well.

10. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    It’s been this way since the switch to digital cable 10+ years ago on Comcast (and I assume other cable companies). I recall getting my first digital cable box and switching channels for the first time and it was so slow compared to my analog “hot box”. Those were the days!