XFINITY CHANGES!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by WVZR1, Feb 10, 2020.

1. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Some Xfinity changes that may or may NOT be relevant (important) to 'some'!

Xfinity Mobile rates will rise to the default 1G fee I believe this month. 12$ if it works for you is still a reasonable price. Doesn't work or maybe isn't available to all. I was paying $4 and change.

Their PC TEXT is being removed from their VOIP offering 3/24. For some that's an issue. For me it certainly is/was. The area code(304)and exchange (72X) can't be ported to XM. I rely on TEXT for nearly all quick communications with medical and financial relationships. They know I don't speak so all was well. It just worked.

My 304-72X would port to AT&T and many years ago I used their home service. I found a very interesting (RECENT) AT&T 'Pre-Paid' plan that isn't available as a walk-in at company stores or outlets. For me it seems it will work well. $300 pre-paid for 12 months which includes 8G data that 'unused' will roll forward. $25 monthly seems I'd say pretty damn reasonable. It has an 'auto-pay' option for future which I'm quite sure could be 'opted-out'. What will change in 12 months? Who knows. For the time being works for ME!

Because of having a 'legitimate' ACCESSIBILITY issue Xfinity it seems is issuing me a generic VOIP # to replace my 304-72X so I maintain my invoicing structure in 'Triple Play'. That is valid I believe through 7/21.

This I believe should be a valid link for the AT&T
    AT&T Prepaid Exclusive Offer - Save 50%!

2. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Sounds like you have very low data usage, like me. Sad that Xfinity dropped the free 100MB. I switched to US Mobile last week with a custom plan that costs $5.50+fees+tax (about $9 overall).

3. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    What does this have to do with Tivo?

4. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

I use the XM to just 'park' a cell that I've had for a very long time, 1987 I believe.. I was gifted a cell from a customer in Germany. I walked into a local cellular provider and asked about service. Her 1st question was "What is your home phone #?" I told her 304-72X-XXXx and she mentioned trying this! She gave me a cell that only changed the 'EXCHANGE' 72X to 279. That made it very easy to 'remember'. How many folks have that feature? I'm very deep in a valley that most have little or no coverage. In the past I had no AT&T without a MicroCell, neighbors still have. XM and VZ are difficult also. I don't know who US Mobile might use in my area so for now the $12 XM works. In a few months who knows it certainly could be a reasonable place to 'park' the cell. With WiFi calling my current situation suits me.

When QAM & CableCards go away maybe AT&T will consider me a 'long valued customer'!

For an Xfinity CableCard user using Double or Triple play for invoicing purposes maybe a lot!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  5. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    US Mobile uses T-Mobile for GSM and Verizon for CDMA.

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Here's a suggestion, go put a similar post in every thread that goes off topic/gets hijacked. You'll have a post count of about 10,000 in a couple days.
    Another though, fill out the "admin" application.

wizwor likes this.
  7. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    There is an appropriate section for non tivo discussion.

You would think someone who has been here five years would know that.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    cwerdna and slowbiscuit like this.
  8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There's just something about exclamation marks that gets me all emotional. Combined with all caps, I get weepy.

9. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Like yours you mean....

10. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    Port your number to Google Voice.

tarheelblue32 likes this.
  11. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Just one final comment to the thread! You CAN NOT (last time I checked) port a 304 area code number to GV! Can you now? I don't think.

CAPS & !!! for JK!

Notice in the OP I mentioned 'legitimate' ACCESSIBILITY issues & relevant (important) for 'some' !

JoeKustra likes this.
  12. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    I'm not aware of specific area code porting availability and Google Voice. Sorry if that's somehow common knowledge about 304 area code.

I know a lot of people port their number to Google Voice as a temporary solution until they can then port it to another phone service.

There are also phone number parking services to port a number to until you can port it to the final phone provider you want.

WVZR1 likes this.