Xfinity and cablecards

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dbperkins, Sep 16, 2019.

1. dbperkins

dbperkins Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Kalamazoo MI
    I have Spectrum right now with 2 bolts. My apartment complex is forcing change to Xfinity. Xfinity is stating WE DONT HAVE CABLECARDS. Xfinity web site says yes I can do that. What a pain. They don't even know what type of pricing till Wednesday when I go back....The rep at the office was worthless. People are not happy.

2. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    First cablecard is supposed to be free.
    You should call the cablecard support number: 1-877-405-2298

You can have a cablecard shipped to you: How to Get a CableCARD

More cablecard FAQS: What is a CableCARD?

3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    NorthAlabama likes this.
  4. gary.buhrmaster

gary.buhrmaster Member

Nov 5, 2015
    There are certain MDU/HOA agreements that are not the same as retail offerings (and CableCARDs are not supported as it is a pure IPTV offering), but your MDU management should have provided the details as part of their announcements.

5. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    It should not matter what CPE is included in the bulk-services agreement; the individual subscriber is still free to utilize his/her COE as far as Comcast is concerned. And I do not see a scenario under which the MDU could restrict your third-party equipment choices in your own unit. Even if the video transmission is IPTV, unless it is over EPON, you should be able to access it via coaxial cable using your CableCARD-enabled COE.

OP's biggest issue will be finding the right source at Comcast to supply the CableCARD.

6. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Yeah, but that was exactly the scenario that various MDUs, gated communities, etc. were running into, especially in Florida: everyone was on EPON. Comcast was only offering TV service via IPTV and, at least based on one support note I read on Comcast's website, they would only sell those customers IPTV if they also took broadband.

Now, that said, someone on here (DigitalDawn?) reported that Comcast has decided to move away from EPON for greenfield MDU/community FTTH installations, for now anyhow.

7. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    That was confirmed to me by a Comcast bulk-services sales rep months ago (which I also posted here on TCF). And since they were not doing EPON at all for existing (brownfield) communities, I felt confident mentioning it in my previous post only tangentially as a caveat.

NashGuy likes this.
  8. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Right. In the grand scheme of things, very, very few Comcast TV customers are currently unable to access the service via CableCARD.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What is EPON? Wikipedia says Ethernet Passive Over Network, but doesn't explain what this has to do with IPTV.

10. dbperkins

dbperkins Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Kalamazoo MI
    All I know so far is Property owners don't want Spectrum on site and access to the buildings. AT&T phone(Direct TV) and Dish can have access. Speeds for Xfinity are up to 1 gig. So I am assuming they are going to use the fiber that was laid to each building. I was told originally by office staff that it was AT&T laying the fiber.

11. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I'll leave the technical explanation to more learned hands (or anyone interested can read up at various internet sources such as this one which delves into the different aspects of EPON/GPON/xPON versus RFoG technologies).

But the essential element for the purposes of this discussion is contained in this FAQ web page from Xfinity, which specifically cautions that "CableCARDs are not supported and TiVo devices aren't currently compatible with this [viz. EPON] technology."

12. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    A very, very small percentage of the total number of US homes served by Comcast are served through an all-fiber network as opposed to Comcast's typical hybrid fiber/coax (DOCSIS) network. All-fiber networks can use different technological protocols.

In some instances (mainly in FL, it seems) where Comcast has employed all-fiber connections, they have used EPON technology. That kind of technology does not accommodate Comcast's traditional QAM-based TV system. Therefore, Comcast customers connected via EPON who want Comcast TV can ONLY be served IPTV, meaning that CableCARD is simply not supported or available to them. As far as I know, right now, this is the only category of Comcast TV customer to whom Comcast can legitimately say "Sorry, you can't have a CableCARD because we don't support it for you."

However, in other instances where Comcast has employed all-fiber connections, they have used RFoG (radio frequency over glass) technology. This technology IS compatible with Comcast's QAM TV system, allowing those customers to get a CableCARD from Comcast for use with their TV service.

Of course, the vast, vast majority of Comcast customers aren't on any kind of all-fiber connection. They're on a normal hybrid fiber/coax network, where Comcast's QAM TV system is still (for now, anyway) fully operational and fully supportive of CableCARD.

DigitalDawn and mattack like this.
  13. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    My community got very lucky. We were all set for an EPON Fiber installation and at the last minute Comcast switched to RFoG.

NashGuy likes this.
  14. dbperkins

dbperkins Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Kalamazoo MI
    Ok a update to my changes. As of Oct. 20th 2019 Spectrum has been kick out of my apartment complex and it will be Xfininty. I had the install yesterday. Good tech, took about 2 hours (most was showing me about their DVR). I am going to wait on cable cards. Found out it if fiber to the building then switches to copper. So I could switch to my own modem and use cable cards. Xfinity's voice remote works so much better the Tivo's Vox remote. Yes there is no 30 sec skip(or auto skip) but it is live able. The price difference is a wash. So the 6 tuner, 4 tuner and 2 mini's go on the shelve till I decided what to do. It's been nice but I am thinkin it is time to move on.

15. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    It would appear that your timing is impeccable.:(

TiVo inserting short advert before playing a recording

NorthAlabama and NashGuy like this.
  16. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    dbperkins, if you have lifetime service on your TiVos, and you decide in the next week or two that you're definitely going to stick with Comcast X1 rather than go back to TiVo, you might want to go ahead and sell your TiVo equipment for whatever you can get out of it on eBay. You should be able to fetch hundreds, although with the negative press that TiVo is starting to get with these new streaming ads they're inserting, the value of lifetime TiVo units definitely ain't going up.

17. dbperkins

dbperkins Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Kalamazoo MI
    Did not have lifetime on the Tivo's. To top it off yearly contract was coming up end of Oct. So I am saving that money towards the cable bill. It is basically a wash on using cablecard or equipment from Xfinity.

18. dbperkins

dbperkins Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Kalamazoo MI
    I think I am done with Tivo.(Bolt plus, Bolt and 2 mini's all with voice remotes). The voice on the Xfinity X1Dvr works so much better then the Tivo. It records what I want and plays back good. No commercial auto skip BUT I can live without that item. Main problem is learning the cable line up difference from Spectrum. Oh before I forget I have 2 X1 dvr's and the recordings are put in one list not two like Tivo.

BNBTivo likes this.
  19. chrishicks

chrishicks Tivo Junkie

Dec 30, 2003
    MI
    On the X1 remote press:

exit exit exit 0030

That will give you 30 second skip compared to their default 5 minute jump. Use Page up to jump 30 seconds.

20. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    I've been using my X1 a lot more lately but I really wish it had more than 500GB of storage.

Rey likes this.