Xerox a Roamio hard drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by HDRyder9, Oct 18, 2020.

1. HDRyder9

HDRyder9 Member

Aug 2, 2007

Advertisements

It's been quite a few years since I changed a Tivo hard drive. I have a 3TB Roamio that I'd like to replace the hard drive in with a new 3TB drive. Mostly, I'd like to keep the cable card paring so I can't just let the Tivo format the new drive.

What's the easiest way to clone the 3TB drive in the Roamio? Windows preferred.

Thanks!

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Put them in a Cloning Dock and push the 'Go' button...

-KP

Sheffield Steve and krkaufman like this.
  3. HDRyder9

HDRyder9 Member

Aug 2, 2007
    That begs the question, which cloning device is best for a single use?

I looked a various devices on Amazon and many got awful reviews and some were accused of damaging the source drive.

I've used WinMFS in the past but I understand it doesn't work on Roamio drives.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  5. HDRyder9

HDRyder9 Member

Aug 2, 2007

Advertisements

Is there a software solution to this issue?

6. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Are you doing this to save the shows on the old drive or to avoid having to pair the cable card? If it's the latter, it's not an issue. When I replaced the drive the cable card still worked as it always had.

7. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    There are some ports of the Linux dd command for Windows, but when it comes to Xeroxing an entire disk the information and tools get really confusing. I would use the MFS Tools 3.2 Linux boot disk, at which point you can use dd or the mfscopy command. Both of those options preserve the CableCARD pairing.

kpeters59 likes this.
  8. HDRyder9

HDRyder9 Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I'd like to keep the cable card paring since it was a nightmare that lasted for a couple weeks last time. I wouldn't hurt to keep the shows and season passes as well.