X1 vs Bolt Picture quality

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by scottfll954, Aug 23, 2018.

1. scottfll954

scottfll954 Member

Jul 31, 2012

Advertisements

I decided to give the X1 another try( its included in my home owners fee`s)

the new 4k dvr

there is no doubt the the DVR part of tivo blows the X1 away

but

the picture quality on the X1 is night and day compared to tivo ..

X1 has more depth in thepicture and clearer

2. jwort93

jwort93 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    It's been brought up several times in the past, but as far as I know, no one from TiVo has ever acknowledged it being a problem, which is rather frustrating.

Can we talk about Tivo Picture Qaulity

The inferior picture quality is honestly why I stopped using my TiVo bolt around a year and a half ago, I loved it otherwise.

compuguy and scottfll954 like this.
  3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I haven't had an X1 box in a couple of years to compare since I got my 4K TV. Comcast's picture quality had gone down since the mp4 switchover but they must've tweaked something over the past couple of months as it has gotten better. I may pick up an X1 box to check it out at some point in the future.

4. scottfll954

scottfll954 Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I am glad that I am not the only one ...!!!

5. scottfll954

scottfll954 Member

Jul 31, 2012

Advertisements

Even netflix via X1/4k is a better picture

6. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I have 4k native to my Samsung TV apps and my Apple TV and they do look really, really good.

7. jwort93

jwort93 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Yep, the problems with TiVo's picture quality are completely separate from your cable providers picture quality. The issues affect all video output from the TiVO including all of its streaming apps.

8. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Yeah, we posted a lot about that phenomenon on the "Can we talk about" thread linked above. But, as I saw it, the noise and softness that my TiVo Roamio produced in all its video output, regardless of source, was pretty mild. No way would I call it a "night and day" difference like the OP on this thread is saying that he sees.

Which makes me wonder whether something else is going on here.

To the OP: Aside from live cable channels, can you compare the difference you see between the X1 output and the TiVo output from various streaming apps? Try comparing the same shows and clips from both Netflix (if you're a subscriber) and YouTube on the X1 vs. the TiVo. Do you see the same "night and day" difference? If so, then you're probably identifying the same phenomenon that we discussed on the "Can we talk about" thread, it's just that your eye is more sensitive to it than mine.

But if you don't see the same kind of disparity in picture quality on streaming content as you do on live cable channels, then that might suggest that Comcast is sending a differently encoded feed to your X1 box than to the TiVo. I'd be surprised if they were doing that but it's possible. Maybe -- in your area, with certain X1 subscribers -- they're experimenting with distributing live cable channels as IPTV as opposed to the QAM feeds that they normally provide to all subscribers. If so, then the IPTV stream could be encoded at a higher bitrate, or even in HEVC (assuming that your X1 box is HEVC-capable; if it's a 4K box, then it is).

9. ffitzgerald39

ffitzgerald39 Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Buffalo...
    I have a Bolt that was using a Comcast cable card which failed. I am in the Chicago area where they are phasing out cable cards and make getting a replacement very difficult, so I got a 4K X1 box. The picture was a little better than the cable card in the Bolt. I also hooked up the same Bolt to an attic antenna which receives 44 over the air stations. This picture is significantly better than either the 4K X1 or the cable card in the Bolt. I think picture quality is mostly dependent on the source rather than tha hardware. I now have the X1 and the Bolt hooked up side by side and shift using the tv remote and use the Bolt for all the network shows.

10. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    The cable companies arent allowed to phase out cable cards- they are required by law to have them and allow free self installs. I have complained to the FCC about issues in the past, its fast and easy. Submit a request – FCC Complaints

compuguy likes this.
  11. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    He said that OTA TV on the Bolt looks "significantly better" than Comcast cable on the X1 but that Comcast cable on the X1 only looks "a little better" than the same feed on the Bolt.

12. BBHughes

BBHughes Member

Dec 26, 2006
    That was my thread, at least they finally fixed the 1080i conversion to 1080p/30 issue that was causing those channels to look really bad but they’ve never acknowledged the overall softness to the picture I and many others said they could also see.

13. thompsr2

thompsr2 Member

Oct 21, 2015
    I imagine they'll never acknowledge it, but I'm so curious about what it is/why it exists.

14. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    The Premiere doesn't have this problem, correct? Only the Roamio and Bolt?

15. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I ran my Roamio and an X1 side by side for a month (1080p TV) and could not tell a difference in picture quality. I was not passive about this, I was actively comparing them.

16. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Premiere, Roamio and Bolt look the same to me on a Samsung 1080P TV. Netflix and Amazon Prime does look smoother compared to TiVo on the same TV. OTA direct antenna even looks better. I suspect my cable provider in the culprit. Maybe I'll try OTA with a Premiere to see how it compares.

17. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Never mind the #2 link above covers this issue very well....

18. William Stern

William Stern New Member

Jan 3, 2019
    I feel the picture quality with my Bolt and Vox Mini is at least as good, if not better, than Comcast's V1. People coming into my house are always remarking on the high quality. I think that you may have to use a poe filter.

19. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    There's been a lot of discussion about VQ on TiVos, and they may not have the best decoders. However, on Comcast, it looks like total garbage anyway, so slightly more or less garbagey is still garbage. The more interesting comparison IMO is OTA vs TV tuners.

20. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    I upgraded my plan with Comcast and received a 4k XG1v4 X1 box yesterday. I plan to use both the X1 box and my Tivo Bolt with cablecard.

I mainly wanted the X1 box because it has some new channels that are IP only and I imagine more new channels that are IP only are coming soon. I really couldn't see a difference in the HD channels between the boxes. I plan to try watching some 4k Netflix, Prime soon to see how that compares.

I must say I hate the X1 interface and navigation compared to the gen3 Encore Tivo. I immediately missed being able to skip and time shift between tuners on the X1. Also, X1 XR15 emote is absolutely horrible. I love the Tivo remote and just that makes me like Tivo more. In the past, before I got a Tivo in late 2017, I had legacy Comcast DVR boxes and even those were much better and more comparable to the Tivo then the horrid X1.

Bigg likes this.