X-Files "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" S11E4 1/24/2018

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by boywaja, Jan 25, 2018.

1. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...

Advertisements

this could be an instant classic. One of my favorite x-files episodes of all time is Jose Chung's "from Outer Space" which is similarly absurd.

From the start with Mulder returing from "squatchin" to the retconneed episodes.
    Then skinner at the end "where are they taking reggie"

Wondering if you aren't into the online culture and you hadn't heard of the mandella effect, how you'd feel about the whole thing.

And of course scully ultimately deciding not to try the old jello, cause its better to leave your memories alone. a wink at the people who'd rather have their x-files memories left alone than have these extra seasons.

we'll see if it holds up to repeated viewing before declaring it a classic. But in my opinion its the best thing they've done the past 2 years.

mattack, tim1724 and aaronwt like this.
  2. firerose818

firerose818 Now 65 pounds less! TCF Club

Jul 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love Darin Morgan and I loved this episode.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was amused that the X-Files finally became relevant for our time in an episode about how the X-Files has become irrelevant in our time... :D

4. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I loved this episode. While I probably didn't get all the inside jokes (I watched most episodes of the x-Files, but I never obsessed over them like I do for other series), I probably laughed harder with this episode than most sitcoms I watched. From Dr. They's dialogue about Fake News to the Alien Trump (complete with hand motions and speech pattern) this episode had me rolling. I am definitely going to watch this one at least one more time.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    tim1724, SoBelle0 and aaronwt like this.
  5. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS

Advertisements

I thought it was funny how Mulder was going through his old boxes of tapes to find a particular show. Hey, you never heard of Google?

:D

6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He said that he had already tried everything to find a reference to the show; he was resorting to the tapes because despite there being no evidence that the episode existed he remembered it, and thought he might have recorded it.

mattack likes this.
  7. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    But, in theory, if he was in a parallel universe, he wouldn’t have recorded it in this one, if he couldn’t find any trace of it.

I think they just wanted to recall Mulder’s hoarding craze from the earlier episodes.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    My point was simply that he had already tried Google.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I had some good laughs watching this episode last night. It was extremely enjoyable.

10. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Before the season started I said I wanted to see an X-Files/People of Earth crossover. With Brian Huskey guest starring and the given storyline I’m pretty sure this episode consisted of one, even if I can’t quite remember all of the details.

tim1724 likes this.
  11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
  12. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I missed part of the show, where he explained why he was looking for that ep.

13. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Oh, I missed that part.

14. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I saw "Stuart Margolin" in the opening credits and I'm a big Rockford Files fan. But at first I thought the guy playing "Reggie" looked a little bit like "Angel", but I expected Margolin to look a heck of a lot older. But, then, of course, he played Dr. They. I don't think I would have recognized him if I didn't see the name in the credits. Although the voice is still the same.

mattack likes this.
  15. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I loved the alt/parallel universe X-Files opening with the slightly different music and
    "Fox Mulder" "Dana Scully" and "Reggie Something" :D

Agree, the last part with Scully choosing not to taste the jello (which she made in the Bigfoot mold) but rather to remember the taste as it was was so sweet and almost heartbreaking. Loved it.

mattack and aaronwt like this.
  16. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Great Ep. After the first 2 this season, I was afraid that the X-Files "jumped the shark" with last season being a dream, er... premonition.

I'll save this one to watch again in case this season goes off the rails again :)

17. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    This was one of my all time favorite X-Files ep. It had its tongue firmly planted in its cheek. I thought the Alien at the end was also reminiscent of the Kanamits in the TZ Episode "To Serve Man", and I loved it's nod to Elvis in the cape it wore.

Did anyone else catch the shout out to one of the original producers of the X-Files Frank Spotnitz? It was the name of the sanitarium they took Reggie to.

So many little jokes and homages in this one. Fantastic.

mattack likes this.
  18. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Yes, I noticed Spotnitz Sanitarium, but didn't make the connection.

Old style ambulance?
    Alternate universe?

:)

19. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I never heard of the Mandella Effect and didn't know it was a real term, since how could anyone not know that Nelson Mandella was released from prison?

But as I knew about "false memories" and have a few myself, I related to the episode.

In Googling the Mandella Effect, there are a few more that I have, mostly for me, movie related, as my mind is never 100% on the screen.

Here are 20 I found that have at least 5 that I mis-remembered:
    20 Examples Of The Mandela Effect That’ll Make You Believe You’re In A Parallel Universe

20. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I can't believe they included several misremembered movie lines and didn't include "Play it again, Sam".

mattack and Craigbob like this.