X-Files Creator sues FOX, most likely final nail in the coffin for Philes

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cancermatt, Jan 18, 2006.

1. cancermatt

cancermatt No Pop Culture Here.

May 20, 2002
    Newhall, CA...
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060118...bBV.nQA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Seems to be a trend a happenin... first Duchovney sues for owed money, now Chris Carter's getting on the bandwagon (although I'm not too sure why all of a sudden it's happening now, isn't there a statute of limitations?) against Fox.

Most important words on the whole topic: "There's been no word whether Carter will ever move forward with his long-rumored sequel to 1998's X-Files movie. The current lawsuit might be a ploy to jumpstart a movie deal--or just the final nail in the franchise's coffin."

My gut tells me Carter has been kicking back, doing nothing since the series finale in 2002. Now he wants his money... or a huge fee for doing the XF sequel film. I say the whole franchise is done now, especially the last few seasons simply milking it for all its worth... :(

2. dmdeane

dmdeane sedentary adventurer

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    And yet The Lone Gunmen are still dead. AFAIK.

3. cancermatt

May 20, 2002
    Newhall, CA...
    They're dead... for now... until their character's needs arise in another storyline down the pike... REMEMBER: no one EVER dies in XF universe! EVER!

:)

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, Gillian Anderson was interviewed just recently for the local paper, and she said that she still is interested in doing an X-Files sequel, and she says that both Chris Carter and David Duchovny are interested as well.

http://www.jsonline.com/enter/tvradio/jan06/385298.asp

5. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Duchovny settled for millions, so if Carter is in the same boat he would probably win.

There have been a few lawsuits exactly like this one, where the TV network sells the rights to a show to a sister network for much less then they could get on the open market.

I forget the other ones, but there were some big ones. I think Bochco and Hill Street Blues was one.

-smak-

6. weymo

weymo timeshifter

Jan 26, 2003
    Atlanta
    http://www.carterphile.com/News.html quotes some information about what Chris has been up to (below.) I'd like to see Millenium revisited periodically. Remember back when they used to do TV movies two or three times a year to get the old gangs together? Maybe if big budget blockbusters aren't the way to go, TV movies would be a better route. It's a limited investment for the network; doesn't involve renewals and timeframes, etc. Seems like Alien Nation was done this way (tv show not the film) and there were oodles of Brady kids specials. I think it adds continued interest to the franchise over time. Get David and Gillian in for a "3 night X-files event you have to see to believe" and the ratings will follow. Or, FOX, how about a three-hour block on Saturday night.
    Anyway...

From Entertainment Weekly, August of 2005:

HERE WE ARE NOW...
    They made EW's first decade memorable. Catching up with some of the brightest TV, movie, and music stars of the '90s
    Chris Carter Then: Created the ultimate '90s water-cooler show 'The X-Files'.
    What does a lifelong surfer do when his phenomenally successful TV series finally comes to an end? Hits the waves, man. "Traveling and surfing" is what Chris Carter, creator of The X-Files and self-described "pilgrim," has been doing since the show's May 2002 sign-off. That and getting his pilot's license, running a few marathons, teaching himself music...and writing, of course. He just finished a film adaptation of The World of Ted Serios, by the psychoanalyst Jule Eisenbud. Eisenbud believed Serios, a Chicago hotel porter, could project his thoughts onto a Polaroid. "He believed he had a reproducible paranormal ability, and was shamed by scientists for his belief in that phenomenon," says Carter, 48. Sounds a bit X-Files-ish. But what Carter is writing isn't nearly as Mulderian as where he's writing it: He's just begun a three-month stint as writer-in-residence at the Kavli Institute, a center for the study of (among other things) the arcane branch of physics known as string theory. "It's almost faith-based science," he says. "Faith in the numbers. It's unprovable experimentally." Speaking of faith: What of the X-Files movie sequel? Carter blames the delay on tangled contracts. The story was completed last year, and he says David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are on board. "We'd want to tell a Mulder and Scully story, specifically." Entertainment law, it seems, is not as malleable as the laws of physics. But Carter's a believer: "The chances are very good." And the truth won't stay out there forever. --Scott Brown

7. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Alan Alda was involved in a similar suit against Fox over M*A*S*H reruns. I think Wayne Rogers may have, too.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Carter was fighting this fight before the show ended. I suspect he's just finally given up on getting a settlement from Fox wihtout court intervention.

9. cancermatt

May 20, 2002
    Newhall, CA...
    Probably about 7 or 8 years ago, posted online somewhere a message board when they were introduced to the web (most likely removed quickly) was an AWESOME conspiracy theory about the behind-the-scenes action onset of XF, which could have possibly come from FOX employees. I don't remember the specifics of who it came from.

All I remember was Carter was integral for the show's creation, but it was actually the suits at FOX who did the true storytelling, giving Carter the face and responsibility if it failed. So, lo and behold, moving from Friday nights to Sunday nights basically overnight it became a big hit. But, the storylines started going downhill (this is IMO, however at season 4, when he was "writing" and "directing" both XF and Millennium at the same time, XF's quality started going downhill, since the creator was splitting his time). At this time, Carter was actually doing the writing and it shows, a lot of the storylines become borderline confusing and incomprehensible, especially the mythology episodes.

Regardless, I truly wish I could find that posting, it was almost more entertaining than the final 5 XF seasons... :)

CC did mention having a Millennium flick, with Lance Henriksen saying he'd like to do it. I just don't see it happening, especially after the last season of Millennium :(

10. cancermatt

May 20, 2002
    Newhall, CA...
    Oh boy, Duchovny in talks to star in The Hulk 2 direct-to-video DVD... from IMDB..

Former X-Files star David Duchovny is set to become the new Incredible Hulk after Aussie actor Eric Bana pulled out of the sequel project. Peter Cuneo, the vice chairman of comic book franchise Marvel, revealed Duchovny is the frontrunner to play the green giant in The Incredible Hulk 2 in a recent interview with AOL's Motley Fool Radio Team. He said, "Duchovny's name has been bought up several times. He's quite the fan too." Bana pulled out of the sequel when he discovered the plan was to release the film direct to DVD. Cuneo insists there's still life in the Hulk project: "Hulk did $250 million worldwide box office, which is a huge box office, and as you may recall, we had tremendous success with our toy line, which was a complete sell-out, over $100 million worldwide."

if this happens, it would be the biggest project DD has worked on since leaving the franchise. Sure, he's acted in bit parts here and there and had minor hits, but nothing big time. He even directed a low-budget movie based on his life. So, maybe put a hold on any talks of XF sequel... like I said....

11. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    IIRC, Duchovny screen-tested for Batman at one point. I think it was for Batman and Robin.

I guess he just wants to be a superhero....

12. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    Maybe Garry Shandling will play Betty Ross...! :D

13. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Yup, a couple of them had to do with Fox stuff going to F/X.

-smak-

14. cancermatt

May 20, 2002
    Newhall, CA...