X-Factor OAD 9/21/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dilbert27, Sep 21, 2011.

1. dilbert27

dilbert27 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    I was really suprised how much i enjoyed this it was alot better than Idol has been the last couple of seasons.

If it keep up like tonights episode i might finally give up on AI and watch this instead.

2. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I wish Simon/Fox would have kept Cheryl Cole. She is adorably hot and given her history of having risen to Brit fame thru a similar process as the contestants, would have added alot to the show. She is now being considered as a judge for 'Britain's Got Talent'

3. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Sp how is this show differentiate itself from idol? I saw like 2 minutes of it and I saw Simon, Paula and a guy who looked like a better dressed version of Randy.

4. dilbert27

dilbert27 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Well for one did not show as many of the bad or weird auditions idol has gotten so bad about this i had gotten to the point where i dont even watch the audition weeks shows of idol anymore.

Second is that there is no ryan sycreast talking for over half the show they had a host but you did not see much of him.

From what i can tell x-factor has no age limits like idol and they also allow groups to be on the show.

One plus i liked was them allowing music durig the auditions unlike idol which i feel might help some but it could also hurt others who just cannot keep tune with the music.

5. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    The main difference is the judges mentor a category of people that make into the later rounds. For example Simon gets to mentor the group acts or Nicole gets to mentor the young ladies. The elimination process happens at the judges houses in each category so there is a 'reality show' type component to it where we know more of the interpersonal dynamics
    . Obviously its not really Simons house but a show house. Later on the finalists from each category make it to live performance on stage rounds with fan voting like American Idol.

Not sure if the US version will follow the UK version exactly but we'll see.

6. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Key differences:
    1) Idol is limited to soloists 15 to 28; X Factor is open to anyone 12+, as well as groups.
    2) The judges auditions on X Factor are in front of a full arena of spectators, unlike Idol's which are behind closed doors.
    3) On X Factor, there is a round in which the judges actually get involved in mentoring the contestants, expanding their role over the rather glib 5-10 second "you really brought it, dawg" commentary from the judges on Idol.

7. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    What a gyp! I didn't see Jamie Maddrox, Guido, Lorna Dane OR Rhane Sinclair! Even Alex Summers was missing. X-Factor my black ***!

I wonder who here will get that...

8. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    How is it that a perv can get on stage in front of adults and children in the audience, and drop his pants and play helicopter, and not be promptly arrested for indecency?

9. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    In this version you get super rich.

10. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I've been watching the British version for a few years, and it's over the top and loud, which makes for great TV. It's less sincere but more entertaining.

11. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    I couldn't last 15-20 minutes. I guess it gets better by the previous comments but I think I'll spare myself from another 4 hours of tv per week. :)

12. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I just read this on another site:

I could sit there and watch Cheryl talk for days, I loved her accent. Not sure what direction they'll take now with the 4th judge.

Overall I liked the show. I think they spent to much time with some of the contestants and would have liked to see more people audition but maybe that was because it was the first airing.

13. dilbert27

dilbert27 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    I really think they just need to drop the 4th judge and just go with Simon, Paula & L.A.

14. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I'd be fine with that. Although it wouldnt surprise me if they end up doing a "guest" 4th judge each airing once the shows go live.

15. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Didn't care for it at all. They seem to be more interested in promoting themselves than the contestants. First half hour - two or three full performances.

16. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    LOL LA Reid. He's much better than Randy.

17. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I am sure he is but I never actually heard him speak though so looks was the only thing I had to go on.

18. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The question is, how long does it take for you to be paid the guaranteed $5 million? I thought I heard one contestant say that it was a five-year contract.

The 12 finalists will be three under-30 males, three under-30 females, three 30-and-over soloists, and three groups. (I may be slightly off on that age limit.) I assume that the viewers will have no say in choosing the finalists; I could be wrong, but I don't see how they can do it for all four groups and still be finished by mid-December (especially with baseball pre-emptions).

Also, a minor change, since it only really applied to one season of Idol: a 2-2 tie goes home. (On Idol, a 2-2 tie went to whatever Simon said.)

The credit of the night: "Super Bowl XLVI will air on NBC." I wonder how Fox Sports feels about that (as well as the plug NBC gets when they mention that the winner will appear in a Super Bowl commercial).

19. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    It seems like Idol 2.0 to me. Sure there are a few changes in the rules and they will separate the contestants into groups (so that will definitely be different) but unless you looked at the big X logo you would never have known the difference.

I did like the first girl judge better than the second.

Paula and Simon groping each other again this season is going to make me nauseous.

The pervert that dropped his pants whould have been arrested and that should have never aired. :thumbsdown:

Despite all the above, I'll watch again tonight and maybe a few more. If it gets stagnant I'll at least watch the final.

20. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    LA Reid can actually form a full and coherent sentence. The "LA" probably stands for "Literate Avatar" of Randy.

Paula was on Letterman the other night, and she really appeared upset as Letterman grilled her on the similarities between Idol and X Factor.