Wynonna Earp - new SyFy show *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Apr 10, 2016.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

This definitely is not a great show but I kinda liked the first two episodes that have aired. It's so bad that it's almost good. It has a campy, wise cracking style that reminds me of Lost Girl. Apparently, this is based on a comic book character that I'd never heard of before. I did a Google image search and comic book Wynonna mostly appears to be a big boobed, blonde Amazon. Melanie Scrofano, who plays the character on the tv show is not.

The shadow revenant in the second episode may have been the poorest excuse for a monster that I've ever seen.

I think I have a crush on Waverly and her mom shorts.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's kinda amateurish, both the writing and the acting. And yet it's kinda growing on me.

Strangely, the collection of all the old Wynonna Earp comics isn't hitting comic book shops until next week, and book stores a couple of weeks later. You'd think they'd have had it out and ready when the show premiered. There is a new comic series that started up a few weeks ago.

3. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    I really wanted to like this, and have only watched Ep 1, but man, I don't think this is going to last long.

It's really apparent that this is a Canadian cross-production.

4. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    This show was strange, funny and weird. It definitely wasn't great but I liked it. I don't know if it's been renewed but I hope it comes back.

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...

Advertisements

I've watched the entire season up to the final episode. The show is typical SyFy schlock and is a bit of a throwback to some of their older shows (i.e., bad acting, bad scripts, low budgets, etc.). I think this was something they just tossed in to fill a time slot. It's a silly show, but I can think of worse ways to spend 45 minutes. Considering that Friday nights are pretty much a wasteland for TV these days, it doesn't have a lot of competition.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It worked for me. Yeah, it's bad, but it's cheerfully bad...kind of like a high school play where nobody can write or act but they don't care because they're having too much fun.

If it were on during the regular season I probably wouldn't have time for it...

7. Fixer

Fixer Fixin' it!!

Mar 29, 2005
    The Great...
    I thought it was a fun romp that didn't take itself seriously. Definitely has a Lost Girl vibe. I enjoyed it.

8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Same here, I love a solid show with a decent arc and strong women protagonists, this has been a "watch on broadcast day" show for me. Add in a solid respect for diversity I give this a :up::up::up:

I don't view it at all as the schlock that Syfy was pushing the past 6 or so years, as of 2014/15 they made a strong commitment to get back to higher quality programming and it really shows, this and 12 Monkeys are 2 of my favorite programs, broadcast or not.

9. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I always watch this Saturday morning.

12 Monkeys is a show where I have no idea what's going on anymore but I still watch.

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  11. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
  12. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Goodbye Dolls. Sad to see you go.

13. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I had kind of forgotten about this show and was surprised when the new episodes hit my Tivo. I love Wynonna's creative and colorful dialog.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    One case where the TV show is better than the source material!

15. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    It's been 2 years since season 3. Maybe that's why there's an 18 month gap in the show.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I doubt it...there wasn't supposed to be a gap in airing, but major financial issues at IDW (the comic book's publisher, who tried to pull a Marvel and produce the show themselves, which pretty much ruined them) delayed the season and then Covid delayed it further. I suspect everything was already written a couple of years ago, and certainly the season's story was broken down back when they thought it would air in 2019.