1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF? Tivo Service connection FAIL

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Ronnie G., Jul 6, 2018.

1. Jul 6, 2018 #1 of 27
    Ronnie G.

Ronnie G. New Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Last night, as I often do, I watched some YouTube videos via the YouTube app installed on my Roamio OTA 1TB.

I didn't change a damn thing between then and now.

Tonight, I went to watch some YouTube videos and there are now *zero* apps listed when I go to Apps. The YouTube app has just magically disappeared overnight! What the hell???

OK, I just now made an effort to try to debug this problem. I figured out that the problem is that my Tivo is failing when trying to connect to the TiVo service (and I guess this prevents my Apps from showing up). I power cycled -everything- on my local LAN, and everything is (and probably was) working just fine -except- the bleepin' Tivo box. And even that passed the built-in diagnostic that -just- checks the network connection. That's fine. No problem. It looks to me like the Tivo *service* is just broken, aka "experiencing an outtage".

Does this happen a lot? This is REALLY irritating. And it is REALLY stupid (and horrible programming on somebody's part) that the user can't even use or see *any* Apps as long as the Tivo "service" is down.

Geeezzz! Some service! I paid for the lifetime service, less than a year ago. I never counted on the company not even being able to keep that up and running. What's wrong with them? This isn't rocket surgery fer pete's sake!

I'm not even going to waste my time calling the "customer support" phone number. Those Phillipinos are blithering idiots. All they can do is to walk you through their pre-canned script, but they have no understanding of the hardware, and I know from past experience than they don't even HAVE a U.S. version Romio OTA box that they can even check things on. (I hope that Tivo, the company, is saving a lot of money on this last-in-class "customer support", because it is absolutely worthless to actual users.)

2. Jul 6, 2018 #2 of 27
    TKnight206

TKnight206 Member

Oct 20, 2016
    I don't know if my problem is the same as yours, but I cannot connect to the TiVo service either. I still have access to my apps, but I don't use YouTube. I don't know if it's on my end or not.

3. Jul 6, 2018 #3 of 27
    DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    My Roamio Plus connection also fails.

Did the ex-CEO turn off the lights and take the keys?

4. Jul 6, 2018 #4 of 27
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Yes. A system problem. My two bolts cannot connect but my mini can.

5. Jul 6, 2018 #5 of 27
    TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    A fun fact. I have plex as a short cut. While I can’t get to the apps list I can launch Plex from a shortcut. I tried a shortcut to Netflix and it works.

So, communication with a server is necessary for the apps icons in Hydra but not the apps themselves.

krkaufman likes this.
  6. Jul 6, 2018 #6 of 27
    KPVT

KPVT New Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Same problem here. First noticed it as I tried to use the app to set up a recording so it affects the app/box connection in the house too. In troubleshooting found the roamio wouldn’t connect. Checked cables, rebooted. Passes the internet connection test but when connecting to the TIVO service gets to Negoting then fails.

My XL4 box does connect.

Since when does customer service not open until 7 pacific time? Maybe it has always been that way but kind of frustrating to be in the Eastern time zone with no support until 10.

7. Jul 6, 2018 #7 of 27
    rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Just checked my Roamio, XL4 and Bolt. All connecting fine and all apps present. Is there a new release? All my boxes are on Gen3.

Does your search fail too? Mine is working fine.

8. Jul 6, 2018 #8 of 27
    rzordani

rzordani New Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Same problem here - not able to connect to TiVo service on my Roamio. Mini works, Premiere is fine and I can connect to other all devices from each other (Moca). Internet connection is fine, passes DNS and TCP. Problem just started last night. Have rebooted modem, router, switches and Roamio. No change.

Here’s the odd thing. I can see the Roamio from the Android app (Google Pixel 2 XL), but I cannot see the Roamio via iPad app. WTF?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  9. Jul 6, 2018 #9 of 27
    not_retired

not_retired New Member

Nov 9, 2014
    My Bolt cannot connect but premier can. Both moca connected. Bolt "internet" test passes. This started sometime early this morning. Did the restart thing. No help.

10. Sixto

Sixto Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Same here.

11. schatham

schatham Active Member

Mar 17, 2007
    This has happened to me before and today the same, no apps.

This fixes it for me, both today and in the past. Just go to setting, select channel settings. That's as far as you need to go, back out and go to apps, they will be their. Probably anything in settings will do this.

12. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It is more than no apps. Service connections are failing as well. Nothing fixed that for me, even a reboot.

13. not_retired

not_retired New Member

Nov 9, 2014
    I just had a chat session with customer service and they admitted there are service problems right now. No expected time to resolution.

Mikeguy and Toni like this.
  14. WPO

WPO New Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Apps and TiVo mini connections work. TiVo connection faiils on Roamio plus. Apple apps fail.

15. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Connection succeeded at 11:50 AM EDT.

16. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I can connect via iPhone app. That’s a good sign.

17. Ronnie G.

Ronnie G. New Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Well, it is about Noon PST/PDT now, and things seem to have recovered now. Youtube is back. My thanks to everyone who replied. It was at least comforting to know that it wasn't just me, and that this was indeed a problem on Tivo's end.

On last thought...

I'm a professional software engineer by trade and training, so I can tell when software is good and when it is just badly written. In this case, it is clear that the software is just crud. There is no earthly reason why apps should just mysteriously disappear, just because the box can't make a connection to the Tivo "service". YouTube obviously could still work, even without such a connection, but some bean counter told some software engineer to make the app (or maybe even all apps) fail utterly in the absence of such a connection.

That's bad enough, all by itself, but even worse is the way the software just makes a mystery out of this simple problem. It took me about 3/4ths of a hour to finally figure out what the real problem was, i.e. the Tivo service being down ON THEIR END. Would it have killed them to just pop up some sort of a notice saying (in effect) "We're sorry, but the TiVo service is currently down, and due to an idiotic corporate decision, none of your apps will work until it comes back."?

There's no excuse for such crappy (software) handling of such an obviously predictable failure mode.

slowbiscuit, Mikeguy and Toni like this.
  18. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It is bad since the connection is only needed for he app icons. Not the app themselves. I did get a pop up when I tried to access the apps the first time that said there was a problem and it should clear itself up. But only the first time.

19. Ronnie G.

Ronnie G. New Member

Jul 6, 2018
    I'm a hard-core night owl, which is why I was up at 4 AM (PDT), trying to watch Youtube.

Anyway, I first posted my rant about this screw up here, but decided to also send the company a message/inquiry via their web site contact form. I specifically asked if they were having an outage on their end.

The good news is that I got a reply back already.

The bad news is that apparently, the people who staff their customer contacts via the web site are just as useless, if not moreso, than the inept morons they have staffing their call center in the Phillipines.

The email response -only- contained a copy of a pre-canned article from Tivo's "knowledge base" the sum total of which was this:

Thank you for contacting TiVo Email Support.
    We apologize for any inconvenience that this has brought you. This may
    be a temporary problem with the Service or your Internet connection.
    Please wait a few minutes and then try again. If you continue to
    experience this problem, please restart the DVR.

In short, they didn't even admit that they were having a service problem on their end.

I'm going to keep my Tivo, but I won't recommend any Tivo products to anybody i care about, because what is laughingly called their "customer service" is garbage, no matter which way you try to approach it.

This is a typical example of morend short-term corporate thinking. Get people's money and then abandon them. Eventually, this attitude is going to cost the company money, but by then, the people responsible will have (golden) parachuted out, or so they think.

20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    They can't know. They don't use TiVo.

Mikeguy likes this.