Wtf is with my TiVo HD XL Series 3? (Rebooting)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TaurusKev, May 29, 2011.

1. TaurusKev

TaurusKev New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Alright, so I did search, found a ton of similar issues, but I don't know, still not fixing mine.

Here's the deal, today, we had a massive storm, that knocked out power. I have my TiVo, Computer, and Comcast DVR Box all on the same UPS. I shut the PC's down, unplug the TiVo safely, unhook it from coax, and then shut the UPS down safely. I then shut the house down at the electric box except the kitchen lights. That way it wouldn't surge a little when power got restored. I also then unhooked cable input to my service amp in my utility room just in case if any down wires hit the hard lines outside. I did leave my eMTA/Cable modem on for phone. I'm a bit paranoid :p

Fast forward a few hours, dealing with water leaking into the house, power comes back on. I turn the house back on, hook my cable amplifier back up downstairs, then flip my UPS Back on. Both my Comcast and TiVo DVR's fire up, all my computers fire up. Everything's great. I turn my TV on. The nice little THX/TiVo logo greets me - Sweet, I am up and running for my recordings!

Few minutes later, it resets, and goes to "Welcome! Powering up..." resets a few times there. Okay, I know this isn't normal. So I unhook the TiVo, unhook HDMI, and unhook it from Comcast. Fire it back up, resets randomly, then eventually gets to TiVo Central. I go to check my recordings, all there, I goto play one. Reset. I then did what someone else suggested with power outages, to eject the CableCARD, then redo the Guided Setup. Did that. Now it won't lemme get past the final setup stage. It gets to Organizing data, then it resets, and goes right back to the beginning of Guided Setup each time.

I ran a few Kickstarts (57, 52, and now 54) I doubt it's my power supply, because it's been running for over an hour non stop on the Hard-Drive SMART test, so far my hard drive is passing tests. I honestly don't know what else to do except turn it into TiVo, and lose all my hours of HD Recordings.

As for RF Frequencies: I have perfect levels to the cable box - Goes from the outside tap with an RG-11 Underground drop, to an 8 way Active Return cable amp from PCT, to a 2 way passive splitter, 1 to my TiVo, and 1 to my DCT6412 cable box.

Nothing else in my house seems out of place, all cable equipment, all power equipment. It's very strange. I hope someone here can help me out. I really don't wanna lose my TiVo, or at least until I can get the TiVo running, and get TiVo Desktop to back it up.

Short story: Power went out - TiVo on UPS/Surge protected amp, unhooked it safely as possible. Now it don't wanna work. And randomly reboots.

Thanks in advance :)

2. TaurusKev

TaurusKev New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    My hard drive passes all tests in TiVo, and I doubt my hard drive is bad, cause it would boot up, and work perfect for a few, then reboot randomly...

I exit the diagnostic test that was running non stop for over 12 hours, without a reboot. Get to Guided Setup, it restarted :(

This time it restarted when it asked about CableCARDs, mine was still ejected.

3. TaurusKev

TaurusKev New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    And now, strangely... It's working perfectly... After it restarted from the Guided Setup, I tried once more before giving up, it completed. Shoved the CableCARD back in, and I was able to watch my saved content.

I wish I knew what I did, except let it restart for awhile. I guess the TiVo is mad at me because I've neglected it lately, and used the power outage as an excuse to act up. But now the little TiVo guy is smiling on TiVo Central for me. Hopefully it's good now :)

4. JavaJoe_2

JavaJoe_2 Member

Dec 31, 2010
  5. TaurusKev

TaurusKev New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't have Hulu Plus on my HD XL. It's been cooperating lately. I really wish I knew what happened though. Still afraid to run Guided setup again... :p

6. TaurusKev

TaurusKev New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Another update. I found ejecting my CableCARD, then redoing the guided setup fixes it.

But each time I power it down, I have the same exact issue. Lately Illinois has been getting nasty storms, last night we had a nasty one that I ended up unhooking my TiVo from coax, then went to Standby, then unplugged the TiVo. This morning, all is well, I hook everything back up, TiVo Boots up, I goto work, come back, my TiVo only has a green LED, and the screen is gray. Okay... So I reboot it, works, watch 2 shows, and middle of the second show, it begins that cursed rebooting all the time.

Most frustrating thing in the world because TiVo has to take like 50 years to boot up. I swear my Comcast HDDVR is looking a million times better right now. Never had a single issue with it, just has a tiny hard drive, but it works sadly.

Is there any reason for this? I even swapped my CableCARD too thinking maybe it was defective. I just wanna watch my shows in HD, and not worry about issues.

I know it can't be the following:
    Hard Drive (passed all tests)
    Power Supply (Never restarted once during tests)
    and CableCARDs, been though 3 just to be safe.

Edit: Now it just reboots all together, with all the cords removed except a Component cable and Power cable. Used to be able to eject and use HDMI, with coax attached...

7. pedro0223

pedro0223 New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I'm also in Illinois and my tivo hd is suffering from the exact same issues that yours is. Mine goes from powering up to a grey screen. Prior to the latest power outage, my HD passed all the tests as well.

8. TaurusKev

TaurusKev New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    I think it is fixed, I left it unplugged overnight, with all the stuff unplugged from it. Now I was able to do Guided Setup without cableCARD, and just component, Ethernet, and Coax.

I really wish the operating system was stored into flash memory on the TiVo itself, not the hard drive... It's just annoying... I think next time I'll try doing a normal reset, then during "Welcome... Powering up" I'll yank the power. Cause I know our power company is going to do some maintenance to the lines :(

9. TaurusKev

TaurusKev New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Update, Apparently I never could get past the Guided Setup with CableCARD, Perhaps I'll try another one, see what happens... If I can back my recordings up at this stage, I'll be happy, going to try and schedule a trouble call with Comcast and swap my CableCARD, I doubt it's bad... But never know...

It's very random when it'll reboot, and really right now I wanna take it out back and take my frustration out on it. I got months of HD Recordings... Makes me sad. Maybe I can convince TiVo to ship me a Premiere XL and transfer my lifetime subscription :)

10. TaurusKev

TaurusKev New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    And as of now, it's currently working... I redid the steps over again, unplug TiVo, eject cableCARD, do guided setup with no card, then insert, make sure it's recognized, do some test channels, then repeat guided setup, and win. My recommendation to you, pedro, try that, and unplug all your cables except either Composite or Component, since those are analog, not digital, so doesn't matter if the TV gets it or not. HDMI sends signals back and forth, and can be picky.

I swear it's something in the operating system. TiVo should put a Shutdown option to properly safely shut this thing down if it's going to be picky about power failures. Currently, I am backing up over 400 GB of data to my PC, estimated time, 40 hours lol.

I hate TiVo when it doesn't work, but when it does work, it's the love of my life. My Comcast box has such a tiny hard drive, that I can only do SD Recordings to fit em all in. My TiVo has a huge 1 TB drive, that I need to start watching a lot of these programs