WTF do I have to do to get a NEtwork Adapter?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Pstang, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1 of 63
    Pstang

Pstang New Member

Dec 5, 2005

Advertisements

I don't know why I'm even dealing with this anymore, what a freakin joke!!!!!!!! These people at Tivo are absolutely worthless, clueless and just a waste of resources!

Why?!?!?

Simple......... I've had this thing for 3 weeks, I've placed 2 orders for a network adapter, yeh, one of the one's that are no longer available and discontinued, so I'm basically at Tivo's mercy! The last order was placed on 11-28, I paid for overnight shipping, they say it takes 1-2 days to process, fine whatever. So they charge my card, and supposedly ship my NA on the 30th ( overnight)! So here it is Monday and these tools can't even give me a tracking number, WTF???? What kind of company is this? There are far too many other choices for a DVR these days, but I despise taking anything back to stores, it's a waste of my time and others.

WTF do I have to do to get a freakin network adapter that will work with a brand new POS, I mean equipment?!?!?!?!?

An extremely pissed off client, close to being a former client at this point!

2. Dec 5, 2005 #2 of 63
    krokus81

krokus81 New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Print out the list from TiVo's website and go to your favorite place to buy computer accessories. Buy one from the list that says it will work with your TiVo, an follow the instructions from the website on how to connect it. All of this information is easy to find in the Support section, just search on wireless. (I can't post the link for it, since this login I have on here is too new.)

Be sure to note your Service Number, and the version of the adapter you purchase, to make sure they'll work together.

3. Dec 5, 2005 #3 of 63
    ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    You're a customer, not a client.

If you were a client, TiVo would probably fire you. Too high maintenance.

4. Dec 6, 2005 #4 of 63
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    :eek: :D

5. Dec 6, 2005 #5 of 63
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

I can tell you how I got my last network adapter. I opened ebay.com and searched for "FA120" and then clicked the buy it now icon next to the best deal there. (Hint: it was way cheaper than tivo's prices, too.)

6. Dec 6, 2005 #6 of 63
    HotStuff2

HotStuff2 New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Best Buy, CompUSA, and Circuit City all sell the Netgear 802.11g wireless USB adapter that works fine with Series2. IIRC Best Buy has them on sale this week.

So, to answer your question: get off your lazy @$$ and go to the store. :rolleyes:

7. Dec 6, 2005 #7 of 63
    Pstang

Pstang New Member

Dec 5, 2005
    You guys must think I'm some sort of the normal clueless tool you're accustomed to.......... Wrong............ I've been a network administrator for 10yrs and maintain some of the biggest sites most of you have visited, so don't go there....

A. I've been to Best Buy, I've been to Circuit City, i've been to CompUSA, I've been to Staples, I've been to Office max.... Now, the fact is, NONE of these places have these "discontinued required adapters" The network adapters tivo lists that are compatible with my tivo are discontinued. You can't find them in the normal places........... I've tried the 802, it doesn't work! I've tried 5 others, they don't work!

Lazy ass? pfffft whatever......

And yes, client, customer, same thing.....

Either way, Tivo f***ed up, I ordered the thing they say will work, had it overnighted and it's STILL NOT HERE!!!!!!!! Explain that pls?

The 802 only works with software rev 7? i believe? I have 5.x... so no, it doesn't work...

This Tivo is at my Condo at the lake, where we only use cell service, so no phone line, don't want one, don't need one.

There's absolutely no reason or excuse in the world that they haven't sent a freakin network adapter that I've paid for by now. I could care less about cost, etc, I just want the thing to work and get what i paid for. This is BS!

Next?!?!?!?

8. Dec 6, 2005 #8 of 63
    Pstang

Pstang New Member

Dec 5, 2005
    And before anyone goes there, the Tivo was initially setup at a friends with phone and cable, I just need to connect it to my network at this point...

9. Dec 6, 2005 #9 of 63
    DcTiVo1

DcTiVo1 New Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Hello there,
    I am also new and have had good luck setting up the wireless network. First of all you may need to take it back to your friends and force the call to upgrade to 7.2
    Call Tivo first and ask that you be put on the priority list to get the software and then force the dial up connection until the unit downloads the software and it reads "system update ".
    As far as a compatible adapter I went the simple route and just ordered the adapter that they sold on the Tivo site. When you get yours it will be no problem finding a IP address and wham! connected. Good luck Just think once it is up and running you will not have to do it again.

10. beejay

beejay Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Richmond, IN
    As an experienced network administrator, you probably know the reaction you get to a complaint has a lot to do with how you present the complaint.

Or maybe you have enough people yelling at you that you just like to turn the tables sometimes?

11. Nfuego

Nfuego Finally-My ugly mug

Sep 27, 2004
    Springfield,...
    Why don't you just go to the store and buy one? Hmmmm...shopping...what a concept!

12. Nfuego

Nfuego Finally-My ugly mug

Sep 27, 2004
    Springfield,...
    Wow...you'd think a 10 year network admin could get an adapter to work. I have 2 adapters...they both work. One isn't on the list at all.

13. Pstang

Pstang New Member

Dec 5, 2005
    DC, that's exactly what I've done, i went the simple route after trying a few adapters as i didn't realize a new series 2 ( aka latest and greatest ) would require a discontinued adapter to work. i don't have the time to take this thing across town, inconvenience my friends to accomplish this. I merely took the easy route, ordered the thing directly from Tivo and they can't so much as give me a tracking number?!?!?!? WTF? i ordered it for overnight delivery over a week ago and they can't tell me if and when I'll get it...

And the first 5 calls, I've been very nice and tried to get things resolved, now they're just pissing me off and they're liable to get this thing back in 300+ pieces, just from principle...

I'm totally aggravated and pissed and I think for good reason, for those of you who don't agree, well, sorry, put yourself in my shoes for a day...

14. Pstang

Pstang New Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Take a few seconds to read the previous posts.... hey, there's a concept, read before you post.............

15. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    What makes you think our opinion of you is so high? ;)

16. Pstang

Pstang New Member

Dec 5, 2005
    So, I'm the bad guy here aye? With as many posts as you have, maybe a life is in order? Wow, another concept!!!

17. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    ... and dropping ...

18. mike3775

mike3775 Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Indiana
    <---Isn't a 10 year network admin and got his non authorized network adapter to work with Tivo on the first try. Also realizes that the guy you said to get a life also only has 4,067 posts in 5 years, which anyone with 10 years as a network admin would know, comes out to 813.4 posts a year, 68 posts a month, or 2 posts per day. So basically, you have already passed his 2 posts per day in 1 day, so maybe you should be the one getting a life.

And I find your frustrations hilarious because you are supposedly a genius(by the way you phrased your comments) and a little technology that you know all about doesn't work for you.

It isn't Tivo's fault you probably hooked the adapter up all wrong.

And also expects to be flamed for the post above as well, but thats ok, is used to being cussed out by customers every day.

19. DcTiVo1

DcTiVo1 New Member

Dec 5, 2005
    I think the problem is that He still has 5.2xxx on his Tivo. I had the same situation before I had to go back to friends house and update the software before I could hook up the Wireless setup work. NOW...I am new here also and think we can be a bit kinder to each other ...We know that sometimes we are frustrated and we asking for help and some how it comes out in our posts as....well not as we have intended.....Lets help not inflame the situation. YOU HAVE TO UPDATE BEFORE THE ADAPTOR WILL WORK.

20. Glued2TiVo

Glued2TiVo Now in Color!

Jan 1, 2005
    St. Louis, MO

I dont know how you expect yourslef to come trotting in here like you own the place and demand for help. That's not the way it works, at least not here. The Help Forum is a place for customers of TiVo to ask NICELY for help, and if you have looked at other threads, its a common trend. Oh and, may I add, if your such a hot-shot in networking, you should be able to fix this yourself.

Just a side note here.

Unless you have invented a Startreck way of 'beaming' things to people, I suggest you keep your mouth shut. Half the things I order come in late. Deal with it, its not new.