1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSOP - World Series of Poker 2018 - TV Schedule (No Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kdmorse, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Jul 1, 2018 #1 of 36
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Main event starts tomorrow, July 2nd. Looks like this year there is no break between regular play and the final table. And it will be followed directly by the $1M One Drop.

I'm not clear on how ESPN (TV) and PokerGo (Streaming) are splitting things up. I can't tell what's going to be live, and what's going to be edited. I hope ESPN does better than last year.

This is the best TV schedule I could find (Warning: it is from February):

upload_2018-7-1_15-52-9.png

EDIT: Here is a link to another schedule which has some differences -> WSOP Main Event Broadcast Schedule, Live Coverage on PokerGO and ESPN (Note, both schedules have been proven to be wrong for Tuesday 7/3, Day 1B). Trust no one!

(If someone has a link to a better schedule, let me know)

My Tivo's guide doesn't currently go out far enough to see how it's intending to schedule the final table, needless to say a series of manual recordings wouldn't be a bad idea. (Many of us create a series of 12 hours manual recordings for the final table, on all ESPN channels. It has run wildly over, and even jumped channels in the past)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  2. Jul 1, 2018 #2 of 36
    danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    Regarding spoilers it really infuriates me when the PokerGo announcers mention the results of recently completed tournaments. I can't always watch them live and both the Super High Roller Bowl and SHRB China were spoiled for me, as well as a number of this year's wsop events.

They make the availability of replays a big selling point and then their announcers spoil them. They also frequently semi-spoil tournaments in the descriptions in the online listings for the event by naming some of the players at the final table. Kind of ruins the suspense of watching play leading up to the final table.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  3. Jul 1, 2018 #3 of 36
    danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    Speaking of PokerGo if anyone is going to sign up PM me before you do so i can refer u and I'll split the 20 dollar referral bonus with you. :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  4. Jul 1, 2018 #4 of 36
    danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    Pretty sure PokerGo will stream live immediately after ESPN for all of the days before the final table for the main event.

The one drop I think ESPN will do day 2 live for a couple hours of prime time PG stream will be before and after. Day 3 I think PG will do early part of the day then it switches to espn till complete

5. Jul 1, 2018 #5 of 36
    danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    Also if you do miss anything on espn the replays will be available on PokerGo but you need a vpn if u r in the US at least for awhile after the tournament the replays are blacked out here. At least that's how it was last year.

6. Jul 2, 2018 #6 of 36
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But you should still add tons of padding on the end of each one, right?

but sigh, this is too much stuff to watch.. Maybe I'll just literally FF through and watch only people I recognize.

I used to think I wanted more coverage.. but the 2 hour (with commercials) highly edited shows were way more entertaining.

7. Jul 2, 2018 #7 of 36
    kdmorse

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    The first ~10 minutes of coverage tonight were abysmal, borderline unwatchable. Fortunately, it picks up, and falls into a watchable pattern.

8. Jul 3, 2018 #8 of 36
    kdmorse

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    As was mentioned in this thread -> Poker WSoP ESPN2

The schedule I posted is wrong, for at least today. The schedule I posted says it starts at 8pm on ESPN2. The OP in the other thread posted a link to this schedule -> WSOP Main Event Broadcast Schedule, Live Coverage on PokerGO and ESPN - which says it starts at 7pm on ESPN2 today.

In reality, it started at 7pm on ESPN (not ESPN2) today, and my Tivo knew that and started recording it correctly on ESPN.

So far, clearly no web schedules that I have found are correct.

9. Jul 3, 2018 #9 of 36
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Can you explain? I admit after not too long, I started FFing through most of it (stopping every once in a while for an all-in, or for some other reason -- still took a long time to 'go through' the 5 hours...). But I was watching the first while completely..

10. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    Ftr the PokerGo parts of the non final table coverage are available either shortly after or the next day (I have only checked the next day), and are not blacked out in the U.S.

Iirc the final table replays will be blacked out in the U.S. but if u have a vpn or other proxy server from another country u can get around it, at least on your computer. I've never figured out how to do it on my Roku box if it's even possible.

11. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    Not sure what this is referring to but without getting into spoilers the amount of totally unnecessary tanking is ridiculous and it's bad for ratings. ESPN should insist on a shot clock next year imo.

12. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I'm for that.

13. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, I say just go back to ESPN paying for it and doing the highly edited shows!!!!

spartanstew likes this.
  14. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    ftr I confirmed tonight that the replay of the PokerGo coverage for that day is available within moments of the conclusion.

15. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    Starting a half hour late tonight on espn2. Not sure why. Just a heads up you will have summer league basketball for the first half an hour of your recordings.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

spartanstew likes this.
  16. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    Actually dinner was until 6pm so they had to put the delay in.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

17. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Kind of disappointing that the post ESPN coverage is on PokerGo, and not the PokerCentral/Twitch route.

-smak-

18. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I had a power outage on part of one day this week, but had the last section of the recording.. I realize this is mostly moot since I've really been basically FFing through it and watching all ins plus a VERY few other segments...

but anyway.. so I could have just missed this, and yes, I realize there's tons of play going on that is NOT on ESPN..

But was it a MUCH larger section than normal? I thought when ESPN finished Tuesday, there were still a whole ton of people.. but Wednesday was down to 12 people, going down to the final 9? seemed like a big jump..

Is it just my bad memory (likely), or was there a longer-than-usual segment of play that wasn't on ESPN?

19. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    I thought the same thing.

I don't do the pokergo thing and really not enjoying the coverage this year. I don't have to watch live. I want to watch good hands and good players getting beat (or winning).

It seemed like Phil Ivey was among the chip leaders at one point and then all of a sudden the next day their like "Phil Ivey just busted out".

20. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    If they do what they did last year, they will have the traditional hour-long edited episodes in the fall that will just have the highlight hands. Most of the stalling and hands that go nowhere get cut out or edited down considerably.

In the early part of the tournament, they play 5 two-hour levels each day. With breaks, that adds up to 12 hours from start to finish. ESPN only had 2 or 3 hours of coverage each day, so that's a significant percentage that they're not airing. About 8 or 9 hours of play took place from the time they signed off one day until they signed on the next.