WSJ Says Apple’s Trying to Kill the Cable Industry

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1 of 119
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Now this is interesting...

http://gizmodo.com/5834698/wsj-says-apples-trying-to-kill-the-cable-industry

2. Aug 26, 2011 #2 of 119
    dkraft

dkraft Member

Dec 20, 2004
    That is the way TV should be, buy the channels you want.

3. Aug 26, 2011 #3 of 119
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    A quote from the linked article:
    The irony: In most cases NOT bypassing the company renting your cable box to you, since that company and the same cable and/or fiber are delivering your internet.

Still, TWC does a great job of delivering my internet while I agree with Jobs that cable TV is a PITA. But what happens when they see internet TV eating into their massive cable TV profits?

4. Aug 26, 2011 #4 of 119
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Just like the music business - they need to transform with a new business model

5. Aug 26, 2011 #5 of 119
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The product in question already exists.
    However, the content providers, networks, have blocked the product from streaming their shows. Why? because at the moment the content providers make a lot more money through channel packages. That's why you have a lot of channels you never watch.

6. Aug 26, 2011 #6 of 119
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
  7. Aug 26, 2011 #7 of 119
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Google TV in it's current form is crap. I have no love for Apple products but I'll take an ATV over Google TV in it's current form. I used a Revue for a couple of weeks. Out of the dozen or so media players I've used over the last two years, it was easily the worst one.

8. Aug 26, 2011 #8 of 119
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    GTV offers a lot more options for content than ATV.

9. Aug 26, 2011 #9 of 119
    daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Why couldn't TiVo have a network 'channel' ? After all, they essentially have one for NetFlix and the like. Though I can't imagine TiVo being so willing to bypass the cable cos.....

10. Aug 26, 2011 #10 of 119
    HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    I disagree! In the last month I have acquired a Logitech Revue and two Sony Google TVs. With these and my TiVos I have nearly a perfect TV setup. I can watch almost anything I can dream of watching.

Recently, I was watching a series on Netflix. They had only the first season and 3rd season available. The 2nd season was NO WHERE to be found. Not on the network that made the show, not Hulu, not Netflix, not Playon... no where. So I go to chrome on my Google TV type in the show name, season #, ep # and voila! up comes a listing of sites that had the episode available for streaming. I'm now through half the 2nd season.

I did this all without changing an input to go to my PC to search, without switching remotes and without much fuss. When I was done, one button and I'm back on my TiVo's menu.

I love it... and when honeycomb hits... can't wait!

11. Aug 26, 2011 #11 of 119
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    None of these companies are going to provide the holy grail of network content. The content providers and cable companies will just not allow it. It is a nice sensationalist article though.

12. Aug 26, 2011 #12 of 119
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The local network affiliates wouldn't much care for it either.

13. Aug 26, 2011 #13 of 119
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Your opinion. My opinion is that Google TV works great as is and I expect it to get much better. The blocked sites are my biggest complaint but I find enough sites aren't blocked that it is very useful for me in helping avoid the monthly cable bill. Your complaints when you get specific, at least that I have seen, have nothing to do with using Google TV for streaming video from the internet but problems with processiong stereo audio to surround audio over HDMI and inability to play your content stored on hard drives. I don't care to expand 2.0 to 5.1 or 7.1 and don't have any content on hard drives for the Logitech Revue to play. I do believe when Android 3.1 becomes available, some additional codecs for decoding local content will become available and perhaps the other issue you mention will be addressed as well.

For my intended use, web browsing and streaming from Amazon Prime Instant Video and other sites, the Logitech Google TV is a bullseye. Right now, I have about 100 programs saved to my queue, I can just select them and watch them at my convenience as I would the TiVo Now Playing List. The Logitech Revue is affordable, has a great wireless keyboard for searching the internet, and as a first generation product gets high marks from me. Rumors are that second generation products are coming and might be much better, I don't know, but I can make this work perfectly for its intended use.

14. Aug 26, 2011 #14 of 119
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I have to watch ads with Google TV when using advertised sponsored sites, I would say the networks and local affiliates need to allow the programs with ads and get ad revenue and make it work. Why would they want cable companies to make a profit on their product? I use OTA and Google TV in combination to avoid the monthly cable or satellite bill and I think the cable and satellite companies should be afraid of these products. Google TV works fine with cable and satellite STBs, in fact it is designed to be used in that manner so a case can be made that even cable and satellite can find a way to survive with the internet.

15. Aug 26, 2011 #15 of 119
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    so I can pay Apple more money for less choice on things besides just PCs or iPods. umm, no thanks.

16. Aug 26, 2011 #16 of 119
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's more than just the audio. For instance, from Amazon it doesn't run an application like it should be, like the Roku 2 does. Of course no 1080P form Netflix or 5.1(but that is also true with the Boxee Box) Searching for content, sure it can find it, but my Boxee Box can do that too (and more) but many times it's only SD which is of no use to me. I don't need it for web surfing. I was doing that ten years ago on my HD set with a small wireless keyboard. I stopped that over five years ago.

It certainly has potential since I know the hardware is more than capable. I like the Android OS on other products and was going to wait for Honeycomb before returning it. But I wasn't using it for anything. Everything it does I can get the same and much more from other devices I have, so I decided to return it and get the wireless illuminated keyboard from Logitech which will give me a thousand times more use than the Revue gave me.

Six or seven years ago may have been a different story for me with GTV , but in it's current form I can get the same and more and better things from some of my other media players.

17. Aug 26, 2011 #17 of 119
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    What was the resolution of the programs you were able to stream? If they're anything less than either 720p or 1080i with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio it's not worth the convenience to me. The primary appeal of such devices is that you can find whatever you want to watch. The only downside is that most of it is crap compared to high quality video and audio. I can already find just about any shows I want using torrent sites, but the vast majority of the available programming is in low-res avi format that looks about as appealing as watching a VHS tape on a standard def projection TV.

18. Aug 26, 2011 #18 of 119
    HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Hahaha, I have no idea. The quality was fantastic. I'm not a huge audiophile so that really doesn't matter to me. The picture looked as good as any of my HD recordings... never went further to see what resolution I was watching at. I'm more about enjoying and accessing the things I want to watch than I am about such things as always watching in highest quality formats and listening in 5.1.

19. Aug 26, 2011 #19 of 119
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Nonsense, I shouldn't buy whole channels, I should buy individual programs! Forget channels, they are an idiotic concept. If everything were VOD, networks and the morons who run them would not be necessary, and shows that had a big enough following to stay in production would be able to stay on the air with no networks to say it isn't doing well enough.

Advertisers could sponsor viewers instead of shows, so no advertiser could ever be offended by a show's content, and if I want to pay full price for the show, I could skip the ads.

This is the sane picture of TV's future :).

20. Aug 26, 2011 #20 of 119
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    How do pilots work then? Who is going to put up the money when they can't leverage losses against successes. Especially the new guy. I do agree it would be nice to get some of these middle men out of the picture. However the middle men are responsible for the marketing and new shows on their own may not be able to tell you they exist.