"Wrong External Storage Device" on the correct external storage device?!?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Aiken, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Aiken

Aiken Blah, blah, blah.

Feb 17, 2003
    Redmond, WA

Advertisements

Damnit, 20 minutes after customer service closes, on a Friday, this happens...

My "My DVR Expander" is no longer considered by my S3 to be the one that was married to it. I'm getting a "Wrong External Storage Device" error screen when I reboot my system, even with a cold restart, even after reseating all the connectors.

Here's the error:

The reason for the power-cycle in the first place was because I was getting "this program could not record because there was no signal" errors on every program I tried to play. I assume that's related to this. Kind of seems like my MAK got screwed up or something. I know you get that error if you swap a drive with recordings into a different unit.

I knew I should have just replaced the internal drive, but noooo, I didn't want something I couldn't get support for... genius.

Edit: I also tried powering down, removing the drive, powering up to the obvious storage-missing screen, and then powering down and reattaching the drive, only to get the original error again when I powered up (big surprise).

2. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
  3. Aiken

Aiken Blah, blah, blah.

Feb 17, 2003
    Redmond, WA
    In case anyone has a similar problem and sees this post, I resolved my issue with a kickstart 57.

See details here.

4. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
  5. ohboy710

ohboy710 Member

Jun 30, 2008

Advertisements

I have the same issue. I had two drives in my unit, and I wanted to remove the second one. I did the divorce like I was told, and then I put the original drive back on, but I got the message Wrong External Storage Device Detected... I did the reboot like Tivo said, but it keeps coming up. No matter what I do, I get that message. I tried Kickstart 57,58, and 52 but the message comes up everytime no matter what. Any ideas?