Wrong Cable Channel Lineup

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TivoFan, Feb 13, 2010.

1. TivoFan

TivoFan Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Northampton, MA

Advertisements

At the end of January I got a "Tivo Service Notice" emailed to me explaining that my local cable company Comcast was in the process of converting to an all digital format and that I would need a cable box to view channels, although basic channels would continue to be broadcast in analog format.

Today my Tivo notified me that it could not find my cable lineup and prompted me to go through the process of identifying a new cable lineup. This is the process where it shows you a channel and asks you to confirm if that channel is what it suggests. Based on my answers it switched me to a lineup that is wrong.

I called Comcast and was told that since I have Basic Cable the choice of whether I use a digital box is up to me, that the channels I receive aren't being converted to digital with the exception of 1 channel.

What is the process to get Tivo to recognize that the lineup I had previously is still correct?

2. Karl Childers

Karl Childers New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    A...
    Go to your Channel List. At the bottom of the screen it should read "press enter if this lineup is incorrect." Press enter button. This will bring you to the Channel Lineup portion of Guided setup. It will ask you if your zip code and cable program source is still correct. Press Select if it is so. Then it will ask you for your provider. Select provider. This will bring you to a screen stating that you will be asked a series of questions about what you receive on certain channels. At the bottom of this screen it prompts you to press enter to go into Advanced Lineup. Press enter. Then choose your lineup from the options provided. You can use the channel down button to scroll through the lineup to determine if it reflects your actual lineup. Then arrow to the right to select the lineup.

Hope this helps.

3. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
  4. j2pro

j2pro New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I have the same problem. I would like to get a DTA adapter, but those aren't scheduled for the memphis area yet.

5. drubenstein

drubenstein New Member

May 29, 2003

Advertisements

I am having the same problem in Memphis. Everything was working just fine until I received Tivo's notice that my channel lineup was no longer available. On 2 of the 5 Tivos I did redid the guide setup and the channels did not match up. On the other Tivo, I did not do guide setup and I continue to get the channels with no problems. Memphis does not yet have the option for the DTA adapter. Even so, this is not an acceptable option for Dual Tuner Tivos. The DTA will only give you one tuner!

6. j2pro

j2pro New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Make sure to file a support request with Tivo. Maybe they will take this seriously if enough of us complain.

I called Comcast tech support, and he just suggested I get a TiVo HD.

7. barky81

barky81 New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Mississippi
    i know that comcast probably is doing this on purpose, but it is going to cost tivo the business. i have 3 tivos, all now USELESS and you cannot even easily submit the error to tivo because the tivo is in a loop so I cannot get to the service number.

i have never been so disgusted with comcast AND tivo, but unfortunately for tivo, they are the ones who will suffer in the end.

the whole time I am typing this is time i am spending waiting for the stupid tivo setup to download and setup the wrong program info just so i can finally get to the service number.

8. mijgnik

mijgnik New Member

Feb 15, 2010
    i had received the same error can't find channel line up for the memphis area, Sun Feb. 14 as well...none of the current channel line ups work with the choices given by tivo and We_Can_Help (at) comcast says to order the DTA adapter. i think I would rather not have yet another device at this point.
    :mad:

9. HondaGuy

HondaGuy motorcycles, that is

Feb 9, 2009
    I just spent about an hour and a half on the phone with Tivo, then Comcast, then BOTH Tivo AND Comcast. Not sure if this is the same problem everyone else has, but my problem turned out to be that I am Basic cable, which Tivo decided was Standard cable, which is wrong. They updated the lineup for Basic, overwriting it with Standard's lineup. For example, Basic has WREG on channel 2, WMC on 4. Standard has WREG on 3, WMC on 5. I went down my whole paper channel guide list and the guy at Tivo wrote up a lengthy description of the problem. Said he would expedite it, but that it would probably be 3-5 business days before it is straightened out. Maybe if everyone would call Tivo, they might expedite the expedited process! Call them at: 877-367-8486

By the way, Comcast is not blameless in this. They told me they didn't publish a channel guide on the web site for Basic. Said they would mail me a paper copy (which I already have). Makes it difficult for Tivo to know what the lineup is!

10. j2pro

j2pro New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Just went to tv.yahoo.com. They have the correct comcast line-up for Comcast - Memphis - Standard

11. smodges

smodges New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Ok, so I filed the complaint with Tivo about the line-up... Do we just wait it out? This is terrible. Nothing is right. It's bad enough we have to deal with comcast.

12. HondaGuy

Feb 9, 2009
    j2pro, thanks for the info, but 'standard' is incorrect. My service is not 'standard', but 'basic'. I do not have a cable box. This is the problem that tripped Tivo up. The lineup is different for 'standard' and 'basic' and Tivo reset all of the 'basic' lineups to 'standard'.

Aggravating that they broke it instantaneously, now know what the problem is, yet say it's going to take 3-5 business days before it is fixed! Guess there's not enough of us 'basic' people out there to make them get too excited!

:thumbsdown:

13. j2pro

j2pro New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Maybe we should all de-activate until it's fixed?

14. HondaGuy

Feb 9, 2009
    TivoFan Said at the beginning of this thread (in part):
    TivoFan, I tried to IM you, but the forum wouldn't let me. Call Tivo at: 877-367-8486 and complain that your channel lineup is wrong. Maybe if enough of us complain we'll speed up their fix!

15. barky81

barky81 New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Mississippi
    UPDATE: tivo admits the problem...don't know when it will be fixed...at least got a service credit...everybody better call and request one!

not sure this is correct info. if it were, wouldn't I be able to manually tune *any* channel and see it (i.e., tune into 37 and see 36, etc.?)

Is tivo actually *blocking* channel reception based on the lineup? That certainly doesn't sound right, does it?

I'll check tonight, because comcast says if I hook straight to the tv, all channels will be correct...(as a test).

I can confirm that comcast is TOTALLY blaming tivo for this and giving out tivo's number and website.

16. j2pro

j2pro New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    No channels are "blocked", just the channel numbers are wrong. If you tune into channel 2, you will see WREG 3 programming, but the Tivo thinks channel 2 should be the Mid South News network (as it is with the digital package.)

This means your Season Passes and Suggestions are useless. The only way to record to schedule manual recordings (VCR style).

17. HondaGuy

Feb 9, 2009
    Much as I'd like to blame Comcast, I'm afraid it's a Tivo thing. My channel lineup from Comcast has not changed on any of my 3 Tivo's or my other non-Tivo TV's. However, the Tivo's have the wrong channel numbers in their lineup. For example, physical channel 4 is and has been WMC on my Tivo'd TV's and on my non-Tivo'd TV's alike. However, since the Sunday guide change, the Tivo'd ones say 4 is the 'Weather Plus' channel on the banner across the top instead of WMC and they say 5 is WMC (which is a blank screen). Of course, any of my to-do list recordings (can you say 'Olympics?') for WMC record on channel 5 (what Tivo thinks is WMC) instead of channel 4 (what Comcast is delivering as WMC) so I get nothing. Sure, I can manually record it or (gasp!) watch it live, but who wants to do that? :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

18. drubenstein

drubenstein New Member

May 29, 2003
    An update for all those having the problem. Call Tivo and report the issue. They have opened up a case and report that the guide will be updated in 5 to 7 days. They were able to issue a week's service credit and will do more if the service is not available by then.
    I've had Tivo for 10 years and this is the biggest issue I have had with them. Their customer support has been very attentive and willing to help. Please report the lineup issues if you have them.

19. j2pro

j2pro New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I called Sunday, so it should be resolved by Friday. The person I talked to today said I couldn't get a credit until the issue was resolved. If it's not resolved by Fri, I may just suspend it.

20. HondaGuy

Feb 9, 2009
    Still no joy at my house. Aggravating that they can screw it up instantaneously, but take 5-7 days to fix it. Couple of things I'm going to suggest to Tivo once the dust settles: (1) Their message once a new lineup change has been applied is misleading. It indicates that it will take several hours before all schedule information has been updated, which may be correct, but the lineup change damage has already been done at that point and won't get corrected without a new lineup change process. If I had known that, I could have reported the lineup problem a day earlier than I did because I was giving it plenty of time to get up-to-date, and (2) They should have a 'revert' or 'fall-back' process to let you go back to your previous lineup should a major problem such as this occur. In Googling this problem, I found many cases where something similar has happened all over the country numerous times. A simple 'revert' process could save us all some pain!