Would you switch to DirecTV if they had the Series 3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jbrasure, Sep 5, 2007.

Would you switch to DirecTV if they had a Tivo Series 3?

1. Yes

99 vote(s)
    67.8%
  2. No

47 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. Sep 5, 2007 #1 of 40
    jbrasure

jbrasure New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    If DirectTV got back together with Tivo, and released something like the Series 3 for DirecTV, would you drop cable and switch to DirectTV?

I don't have any evidence that something like this might happen, but it sure is fun to think about.

2. Sep 5, 2007 #2 of 40
    CyberTech

CyberTech New Member

Oct 27, 2006

In a heartbeat. Tho I am currently still with DTV, the age of the DirectTivos is starting to worry me; particularly given the craptastic quality of DTV's non-tivo branded unit.

3. Sep 5, 2007 #3 of 40
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I have both. I would drop cable back to basic only and use DirecTV as my primary programming source.

If Tivo and DirecTV DON'T get back together, I'm likely to cancel DirecTV when my commitment expires next year.

4. Sep 5, 2007 #4 of 40
    DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    I have Cablevision, and I am happy with their service. No reason for me to switch.

5. Sep 5, 2007 #5 of 40
    btl-a4

btl-a4 Man I must be bored.

Dec 28, 2005
    My S3 is the only reason I don't switch to DirecTV. Man I would like to have Sunday Ticket.

6. Sep 5, 2007 #6 of 40
    Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I'll be switching back to DirecTV if Tivo cannot solve these ongoing problems... One would think that after a years time they should have resolved these issues... If they plan to at all...

7. Sep 5, 2007 #7 of 40
    GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Sunday ticket would be nice, but subpar picture quality kills the deal for me.

If they go full resolution on the new MPG4 birds, I would absolutely consider it.

8. Sep 5, 2007 #8 of 40
    ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Have you actually seen the pq on the mpg4? I haven't but from what I hear locally it actually is quite excellent.

I'm stuck with cable no matter what. I have no clear spot for reception for satellite. Their HD offerings will soon be so awesome - and no SDV to worry about.

9. Sep 5, 2007 #9 of 40
    GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    I haven't, that's why I threw that last bit in there. It just seems pointless to me to spend lots of money on HD equipment and then cheap out on the programming source. :) If a new HDTivo/DirecTV comes along, I'll certainly consider it.

10. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Never, as long as I have alternatives with Tivo.

1) DirecTV is like the king of broken promises. They continue to promise more and more HD, and don't come close to delivering. For years. I don't trust them anymore.

2) MPEG4 recoding/transcoding looks noticably worse on my HT TV (1080p 65"). Why would I go to an obviously (to me) inferior picture?

3) The technology is very limited. It's basically one-way, with high latency. They can't keep up with current TV trends, let alone new ones.

For me, FTTH services like FIOS are the wave of the future, and DireTV can't touch it.

11. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Since I just switched from DirecTV to Cable I voted no mostly because I don't want to go through that disruption again.

12. kennedy

kennedy Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Northeast Ohio
    Absolutely. I was a long time Directv and Sunday Ticket subscriber. You know the tune; I dropped them over the whole HR20 mess late last year. While the quality of my local TW service is good, their billing structure is simply evil - teaser rates, hidden fees, SDV uncertainty, etcÂ… If TiVo were to return to Directv, balance would be returned to my TV universe.

Edit: The best possible scenario for me would be for them to release a Cable Card compatible access card. That way I could keep my S3 and THD and use them with the Directv service. Is such a thing even remotely technically feasible?

13. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    feasible... yes
    likley... no way in hell

14. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I have a cable installer today coming today. If everything goes well I'll be dropping DirecTV. That's partly over declining service quality, partly over line of sight issues, and partly over the lack of TiVo going forward. If they had TiVo I'd probably be having someone here to address our LOS issues instead.

One thing about having a real TiVo (as opposed to a DTV receiver powered by TiVo) is that it makes you realize just how much DirecTV has hobbled TiVo in recent years.

15. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    BTW i would never go back to D* i left them over two years ago and I do miss sunday ticket but not the PQ

16. Martin Tupper

Martin Tupper Pontiff Emeritus

Dec 18, 2003
    I switched from DirecTV to FIOS over the summer. They might have kept me with a Series 3 DTiVo 6 months ago. But now that I've made the switch, I'm more that satisfied with my S3/FIOS combo.

I ain't never goin' back.

17. ebockelman

ebockelman PR#6

Jul 12, 2001
    Orlando,...
    Huh?

1. Directv promised a major HD expansion - to take place in 2007. It's 2007 and we are seeing the HD channels on the sats now. (Those with engineering cards have verified this.) Where's the broken promise?

2. Whose MPEG4 recoding are you using? Are you seriously comparing cheap consumer products with the uber-expensive gear the broadcasters use?

3. If the stream is continuous, latency is irrelevant. Please try again.

18. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I orgionally went to DTV because the PQ was better and they had two tuners.

Now the S3 has two tuners and the HD via cable is better than DTV's HD so I switched back to cable. I see no reason to change back to DTV again.

Now FIOS TV may tempt me when it arrives.......

19. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Now FIOS TV may tempt me when it arrives.......

True, but that's a long way off...

My quess is that the cable companies don't have the capital to spend on a technology that should have been implimented ten years ago..

20. F4Boy

F4Boy New Member

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern...
    I just made this change last Thursday, and like you I'm thrilled with the S3 and the PQ of FIOS is leaps and bounds better than D*. After seeing the images with FIOS, I feel like D* has been screwing me for the last four years. Now if Verizon just adds some key channels....