Would you pick XL over normal for $100?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Jeff_DML, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML Member

Mar 2, 2009
    My original plan was to get a normal premiere and upgrade my HDD myself. Looking at current HDD prices not sure if that is the best plan considering i can get a XL for 100 more. Other XL ugprade is remote but I have a logitech remote.

I am OTA so it does seem kind of nice to have 2TB so I can save stuff and not worry about running out of space. But glancing at the prices those HDD are not cheap.

Any recommendations?

TIA

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The XL is a good deal as you said with the cost of HDDs. If you are getting one soon, I would go with the XL. Plus you get the Glo remote instead of the standard peanut. If you are willing to wait several months and upgrade it yourself that is a good option as well.

3. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    The reality is that the hard drive price difference TiVo incurs between the XL and non-XL is now almost zero (Why? Because hard drive capacities continue to increase for the same price). And the XL is $200 more than the non-XL (where are you seeing $100 more?). I, personally, think the XL is a huge rip-off, especially since it includes a Glo remote, that most people would never use, because the Slide remote is much, MUCH better.

TiVo should either drop the XL model and bump the disk space in the regular Premiere for the same non-XL price, or keep the two models and lower the price of the XL and also bundle the Slide remote with it instead of the Glo remote.

All that said, if I COULD have gotten an XL for "only" $100 more, I might have done it... maybe. But at $200 more, no way. The Premiere non-XL already had a lot more storage than my HD did. And there is just only so much stuff I really need to record (and only so much time to ever watch it).

4. Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML Member

Mar 2, 2009
    thanks for the replies guys

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Don't forget it's also THX certified:D

I got two launch ones for around $700(although out of pocket was much less since i sold several S3 boxes for around $450 each to cover most of the Premieres I purchased at launch) each including lifetime and extended warranty. I sold one of them and still have one left. Although if I had to do it over I would have just got the regular Premiere and upgraded the hard drive. But at the time there was no upgrade path.

6. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    The XL comes with a 1 TB drive or 150 HD hours. If you can get the XL for only 100 more than the regular premiere considering that HD's are at least double the cost that they should be right now I would go for it.

7. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Don't forget at the time we didn't know if they could be upgraded.

8. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Um, yeah..... right. Whoopie!!!!! :)

9. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    That is kinda what he said in his last sentence :)

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Actually, I prefer the Glo remote over the Slide remote and it is definitively better than the peanut remote that comes with the standard Premiere.

11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    He edited it as I hit reply lol so I didn't even see my quote picked up the change.

12. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Really? You would be the ONLY one I have ever heard say that. So you have used both and would still want to use the Glo? The Slide has a keyboard, the Glo- not. The Slide has a much better range. The user interface responds more quickly with the Slide. It has a backlight, like the Glo. The Slide doesn't have to be pointed at or near the TiVo to work. About the only advantage I can see for the Glo is that it has a learning universal remote (well, and it is bigger, which is either better or worse, depending).

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    We have a Slide and no one uses it. The size may be nice for small hands but not so for larger hands. It's a fine remote but the Glo remote is not crap. I think most people are quite happy with it.

14. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    When I first got the Slide, I didn't think I could throw away 10 years of "hand/finger memory" with the traditional size and get used to the smaller size of the Slide. I was wrong. It did take a few weeks, though.

Please note- I never said the Glo remote was "crap", I said the Side was much much better. I still stand behind that- it is partially fact (keyboard, range, etc) and partially based on preference. But there will be some people that reject it due to the size- that will be the #1 issue.

I don't doubt that most people are happy with the Glo remote. TiVo makes good remotes, period. But I am quite certain that most (by a large margin) of those happy Glo remote users have never really used a Slide remote...

15. hillyard

hillyard Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I like the Glow enough that I am not willing to pay extra for the slide. The slide should have been included with the elite tho.

16. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    I've got both. The Slide is good for what it is..a bt TiVo remote, but it's not my favorite TiVo remote. I've had occasional, but continuing issues with it 'sticking' commands after I release the button, it just keeps sending the last button pressed(light is on on remote; if, for instance, volume up was used, volume continues to rise). This is with both IR signals to the tv, and bt signals to the TiVo. Pulling the battery is the only recourse I've found when that happens. Its weight caused it to fall further, faster into the couch crevices than other remotes, before we relocated it to the dining room table. I don't need the keyboard very often, especially now that the ipad app is available.

After the universal, the Glo remote is the remote I use with TiVo the most. I also find no perceptible difference in the UI response when both glo and slide remotes are operating properly.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes, both the IR and BT remotes seem equally as quick on my Elite and XL.

18. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    I didn't want to mess with a HDD upgrade and wanted to see if my 52" Samsung LCD PQ could be improved with the THX setup. I hadn't calibrated it ever. So I bought the XL. PQ was off and was better after running THX. But there's other ways to get the same results. Std HDD in a Premiere is joke and needs to be increased to 1TB or larger since price savings for smaller HDD is a joke. At least offer it for a few bucks if not making it std. So the next Tivo I purchase will be a Premiere (based upon price) and a 2TB HDD upgrade or most likely an Elite (for the 4 tuners and maybe MOCA). We have Slide, XL Glo remote plus use an old remote from a Series 2 Directv Tivo. All work fine. If using Youtube and/or doing a large amount of program searching I grab the Slide. Else just use whatever one is handy.

19. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    what he said, he's a smart cookie...:cool:

20. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I will put my 2cents in on getting a Premiere not a Premiere XL.

I would run the Premiere for the full 90 warranty and not touch the drive, after that I would upgrade it to a 2TB. Hopefully in 90+ days drive prices will have start to go back down. Upgrading drives is very easy now and you can copy the programs from original drive with no extra effort so using the original drive until it is full is also no issue. Then I would put the original drive away in a safe place to be used again when the 2TB drives needs to be replaced.

Oh and the above is what I did :)

Good Luck,